Multi-virtual

khoyt

I'll admit it, I love to play tourist. Over the years, I've come to know several regions very well. On a recent trip to San Francisco, CA, I recently came up with a concept for a multi-virtual cache.

My thought was that I could have a set of coordinate for landmarks (that tourists would naturally visit on their travels). Each landmark would include a question about the location for verification. With enough research, this could even become a GPS tourist guide.

Another concept I thought of would be a cruise. Cruise ships travel the same routes week after week, visiting the same places. When I take a cruise, I could find a landmark at each stop, develop a question around it (for verification), and acquire the coordinates. Then Cachers that go on that cruise would have help in deciding what to see, but could also play the game as they tour the globe.

Are these valid caches? If so, do I mark it as a virtual, or a multi? Does anybody see any potential problems that might pop up?

Thanks - khoyt

Alan,

I expect that it'd be one page, labeled as a multi-cache. The coordinates would be the location of the first landmark to visit. The cache description would include a series of additional coordinates. Each coordinate would include a question about the landmark at that location. Answers to the questions, would validate the visit (though pictures would be better icon_smile.gif .

I think I'd list the additional landmarks in a preferencial and logical order because I'd want it to be a tour of sorts. So I wouldn't want somebody going to one side of the city, to the other in the same day (for example). I'd try to keep them in the same general area.

For example, most Fodors tour books include a recommended approach to touring a city. If you have three days then ... if you have five days then ... and so on. This would be the same thing, only Geocaching-oriented. Help tourists get along, and have some caching fun at the same time.

That's just what I'm thinking...

khoyt

Alan,

I expect that it'd be one page, labeled as a multi-cache. The coordinates would be the location of the first landmark to visit. The cache description would include a series of additional coordinates. Each coordinate would include a question about the landmark at that location. Answers to the questions, would validate the visit (though pictures would be better icon_smile.gif .

I think I'd list the additional landmarks in a preferencial and logical order because I'd want it to be a tour of sorts. So I wouldn't want somebody going to one side of the city, to the other in the same day (for example). I'd try to keep them in the same general area.

For example, most Fodors tour books include a recommended approach to touring a city. If you have three days then ... if you have five days then ... and so on. This would be the same thing, only Geocaching-oriented. Help tourists get along, and have some caching fun at the same time.

That's just what I'm thinking...

khoyt

Thanks guys - some really great ideas. But I'm confused as to what it is. If I have a tour of 5 covered bridges. Coordinates posted on the cache page for the first. There's a hint from something posted on the sign at each bridge that will give the coordinates for the next all the way to the last bridge. There and only there I also place a traditional cache, what's that called?

What if there's no traditional cache at the end, only all virtuals?

Tks

Alan

You can set it up as you wish:

1) A list of virtual cache points

2) A virtual pointing to the next virtual, pointing the next virtual

3) Same as #2 but ending at a cache box

4) Something like those, but adding some other element

All are valid, all are fun. icon_smile.gif It's just what you want to make it.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

You can set it up as you wish:

1) A list of virtual cache points

2) A virtual pointing to the next virtual, pointing the next virtual

3) Same as #2 but ending at a cache box

4) Something like those, but adding some other element

All are valid, all are fun. icon_smile.gif It's just what you want to make it.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Thanks guys - some really great ideas. But I'm confused as to what it is. If I have a tour of 5 covered bridges. Coordinates posted on the cache page for the first. There's a hint from something posted on the sign at each bridge that will give the coordinates for the next all the way to the last bridge. There and only there I also place a traditional cache, what's that called?

What if there's no traditional cache at the end, only all virtuals?

Tks

Alan

Either way, traditional or no traditional, if it involves multiple steps, I'd consider it a multi-cache. I would include in the description whether or not there's a traditional cache at the end, or if its just a series of virtuals.

15701_700.jpg