Snakes !!!

sbyff

quote:
a few caches I notice there are a few run ins with snakes. Is this common?

When the cache page gives a warning that there may be snakes, It would be possible to run in to a snake..

quote:
What do other people with this phobia do to avoid the snakes?

Well first I would never go to a cache that mentioned in the discription that there possible would be snakes, and second.. I'm living in thailand where it is very hot and very humidity. So snakes are very normal around here.. but i always go caching with long jeans..

Hope I helped a little.. I'm just telling what i'm thinking

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

quote:
Originally posted by sbyff:

I'm new to geocaching and as I read the posts on a few caches I notice there are a few run ins with snakes. Is this common? I'm deathly afraid of snakes. What do other people with this phobia do to avoid the snakes? icon_eek.gif

I recon a bunch of em just sit home and mope about it, then the rest get out in the field, use thier good senses, and carefully yet methodically find cache after cache without a problem. icon_biggrin.gif

Actually being afraid of snakes is quite common, however if you know and understand the fact that snakes are as willing to avoid contact with you, as you are to avoid confrontation with them, then things just tend work themselves out in the woods..

Just use your head, and use caution whenever caching. Snakes arent the only venemous hazard out there.. There are Spiders, Wasps/Hornets, Scorpians, and even Gila Monsters out in the desert southwest.

Then of course, there are the non venemous but just as unpleasant caracters to avoid like, Skunks, Polecats, Porcupines, Wild Feral Hogs, Wolves, Coyote Packs, even Grizzly Bears in the Northwest..

So its all a relative thing..

Sad to say, but chances are, your actually probably a good bit safer in the woods than in plenty of our great cities..

Just use caution whenever in the great outdoors no matter what the sport/activity, and youll probably come out just fine.. icon_cool.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

As your walking along, if you will bang your GPS against your head, the sound will drive snakes away.

I live in Okrahoma and we have lots of snakes, so I am constantly banging my head with my GPS and I am happy to say that so frar it hasss nt aferctedd mmvee.e3414rfgjgaweeef (ouch) icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

I think I've seen someone run across snakes in dern near every cache in the area 'round Dallas. Urban park or lakeside, they're out there, and they're going to stay. Prudence (and a good walking/prodding stick) will get you far.

Important! Especially if you go alone, take a cell phone with you. At least you know where you are if you are bit and can get in touch with someone.

The land manager at a park where I have two hidden says that he's sent one or two guys to the hospital by helicopter with cotton mouth and copper head bites.

Point is that they've been around a long time, and will continue to be. They don't wanna get shot, and you don't wanna be bit. Just be prudent, cautious, and prepared, and if you are really worried, take a partner (not a bad idea anyway).

Of course the cache itself could be booby trapped, you could fall into a bottomless pit, or run into a pole with an SUV.

Lot to be scared about, but not if you're careful. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by The Alpha Operator:

I've been fortunate not to run into any snakes where I've been caching, but I believe that they are in my area.

BTW, how much protection does wearing pants instead of shorts give you as far as snake bites?

You may get lucky and the snake will strike loose cloth instead of flesh. You impove you odds with pants.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

When I was looking for Gilbert - the travelling cache, a co-hiker found this really beautiful ringneck snake. It was awesome! The guy knew enough about snakes to ID it, and so he knew that he could pick it up without any danger. After we admired it for a few seconds (it was hard to hold his wrigling body!), we let him crawl back under a rock.

I'm glad we found the snake, since at least I could go home and say I found something. icon_frown.gif ( icon_biggrin.gif )

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

You know at one time I was also terrified by snakes. However being a person that hates having something control me....I confronted it.

I began by reading everything I could about them. Then I began to search for them. If you are worried about encountering a snake while geocaching......go and try to find one. Chances are, unless you know where to look you won't see one. They are as scared of you as you are of them. Should you encounter one, walk around it. If it is in your path...give it a nudge with your hiking stick. It will move away from you.

Snakes will not attack anything it can't eat unless it feels that it is in danger..ie; stepping on it. During the summer snakes will be in the shade..so look over logs or rocks before you step.

Happy Caching.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

I don't like snakes. I don't mind Mountain Lions, but I don't like snakes. So, to ease my mind a little I went to www.cabelas.com and purchased a pair of snake boots. They come up to the knee, are SUPPOSED to be rattlesnake proof, and are comfortable as all get out. They are also very good prevention against ticks,poison oak, and poison ivy, and are waterproof.(or at least water resistant, I don't feel like pulling out the warranty at the moment.) I just pull my levi 501's over the top of them, and I can hike with confidence. That confidence may be all in my head, but at least I FEEL safer. =)

7047_200.gif

If you have a genuine phobia of snakes then I suggest you seek the services of a professional that can help you overcome your phobia. If it's just a "snakes are icky" kind of fear then carry a hiking staff and use your head as well as the advice given above.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I like the snake-proof boots idea, but, I have a more sensitive concern than me feet, ankles and calves.

Does anyone know where I can purchase some snake-proof underwear? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

Important! Especially if you go alone, take a cell phone with you. At least you know where you are if you are bit and can get in touch with someone.

It's probably not a bad idea to take a cell phone with you, but it is a bad idea to count on being able to use it. Where I grew up, the only cell coverage tends to be along the major interstates and in towns, because it is a rural, sparsely populated place.

But living in a populated area is no guarentee. I've been hunting caches in the Santa Cruz Mountains (on the penninsula betweeen San Jose and San Francisco California) for a couple of months now, and I would say that about 80% of the land in the open space preserves has no cell coverage.

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

I like the snake-proof boots idea, but, I have a more sensitive concern than me feet, ankles and calves.

Does anyone know where I can purchase some snake-proof underwear? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Or at least a jock strap. I'll bet whoever invents some will see some good business.

I did a geocache in the Black Hills of SD this week with a couple of people from my scout troop (I am a assistant scoutmaster). Some of the boys reported that they saw a rattle snake under a rock, I told them to leave it alone. I never saw it myself, but their description seemed to match up to what a rattle snake looks like.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

(Snip) I never saw it myself, but their description seemed to match up to what a rattle snake looks like.

phantom4099,

Here in Okrahoma, them pesky little varmits sometimes wear sunglasses so that you won't recognize them! icon_eek.gif Stupid rattlesnakes! icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

Remember old Saint Patrick,

Who through strategy and stealth

Drove all the snakes from Ireland.

Here's a bumper to his health!

But not too many bumpers,

Or with all our might and main

We'll forget the good Saint Patrick

And see the snakes again!

quote:
Originally posted by The Alpha Operator:

I've been fortunate not to run into any snakes where I've been caching, but I believe that they are in my area.

BTW, how much protection does wearing pants instead of shorts give you as far as snake bites?

Just FYI Alpa, there are NO venemous snakes it the Erie area so your fine, if you go south a bit there are rattlers but not up near the lake. Any other snake isn't a problem.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

Geocaching isn't the only place you'll come across snakes. I've spent considerable time in the backcountry when I did the norht last fall and again the last few months while I'm currently travelling the south (near San Diego right now). Anyway I've been travelling the country backpacking, hiking national parks, etc and I fully expected to run into a venemous snake either caching, hiking, or backpacking. I've only scene one so far (I'll probably get bit by an 80 foot rattler now) and it was outside the Zion visitor center in the picnic area of all places. So you don't have to go onto the trails to find them. Just don't stick hands or feet where you can't see what's there. I will say it will be nice to get back home so I don't have to be concerned about it.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

One doesn't ALWAYS have to be the first in the party down the trail. Let someone else take point for a while, and let them deal with the snakes -if they also do not share this issue.

I agree in that knowing more about them helps to relieve the anxiety about them. Being prepared to cope with the encounter of one (good or bad) will strengthen you. icon_biggrin.gif

Just familiarize yourself with the poisonous snakes in your area. Lots of stuff on the web.

Then when you see one, it doesn't matter what it is, just as long as it ain't poisonous. And, treat them all with respect. Even though all aren't poisonous, a lot of them will nip ya.

As for going first or second. My dad had a warped sense of humor and used to always go first down the trail. Said that the second person would be most likely to get bit because the first person stirred the snake up!

Really, a little education and respect and you'll be good to go.

-----------

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

We've seen more snakes since we have been GeoCaching these past few months than i have in the last 5 years. Not trying to scare you from GeoCaching, but i just want to say that its a good idea to have a companion at times. One of you watching the GPSR and the other watching where you are going. I know this isnt much comfort but most snakes are harmless and they usually try to avoid you as much as you try to avoid them.