Novel Cache Containers

Wander Lost,

What a marvelous idea. There are plenty of places to hide it; you might try here or perhaps here. I suggest you sneak in with it at night and hide it in a quiet corner, preferably halfway up a stack; the climb will be part of the fun! You might also want to pick up one of these to make your hiding job a bit simpler.

I'm very curious about what items you plan to stock your "megacache" with. How about a pair of Harleys? Or perhaps a plasma screen home theater rig? (Throw in a generator, a hot tub, and a couple of recliners, and you may get semi-permanent cacher tenants!) Maybe we should start a new thread: "What would you put in a megacache?"

JAR

C-Troop, where is that cache??

And I wonder if I could build one like that?

I haven't planted any caches yet, but it's time to. I have an idea for a mini and this unusual containers thread had me thinking about, well, don't know if I should mention it...

It's not a bird's nest but it's not too different from that. Better not say any more. 'Sides, I may never figure out how to make paper like those wa--

ANYway.

Which state is that tree cache in???

My first Mortar Tube cache is in place and so far working ok. I too put a line accross the lid and the tube that lines up when open. The green color makes it really easy to hide and the dead log we came across made a sweet disguise for the tube. So far taking the elements OK.

I've been using an item called "Feather Rock". I bought it at a rock / garden supply store. It's very light and you can drill the bottom out and cut it easily with a drill or dremel tool. You hollow out a hole the size of what ever container you are using and put it in there. Works great. I have a few caches in West Texas like that. I've used plastic peanut butter jars, Raquetball containers, and even plastic spice containers in feather rock. Very hard to find. icon_biggrin.gif

I've been using an item called "Feather Rock". I bought it at a rock / garden supply store. It's very light and you can drill the bottom out and cut it easily with a drill or dremel tool. You hollow out a hole the size of what ever container you are using and put it in there. Works great. I have a few caches in West Texas like that. I've used plastic peanut butter jars, Raquetball containers, and even plastic spice containers in feather rock. Very hard to find. icon_biggrin.gif

I just put out a cache today in a bird house i had to staple screen wire over all the holes to keep out the birds.

I've been useing paintball pods they work good.

Also key hidding boxs you can't hide much but they come with magnets on them.

I would follow my GPS to the gates of Hell if it pointed that way.

quote:
Originally posted by Attila:

How about PVC pipe - like you get at sprinkler/plumbing supply stores? I'm thinking of getting some 6" pipe, glueing the cap on one end and leaving the other cap free to be opened. You can paint it any color you want and create it any size you want.

I've seen quite a few of these PVC containers with the threaded caps in our area. Every one I've found has beem soaked with water.

If you do use one of these for a cache, be sure to place it with the threaded side DOWN. If placed vertically with the threaded side up, it will leak.

A better idea for the cover is a "test plug". It is an expanding plug that goes in the open end of the pipe. It expands as you tighten the wing nut. It is harder to open, but is more water tight.

I have been heavilly researching the PVC cache myself. I thought it would make an excellent container. Then I found that it wasn't an original idea and that some have even done a fantastic job with paint etc. Also I have learned that there are a few problems with them like their resemblance to pipe bombs and leaking. I have a few ideas to consider for correcting for those issues.

Reading this thread, which I hadn't noticed before, has even given me a lot more food for thought. I love the ideas of bird houses or the hole in the tree with a door. The tree stump is excellent. The mortar tube is sort of a ready made alternative to the PVC.

A lot to think about. It seems that it may not be bad to get or build a few vessals to put a cach in. That way I would be prepared when ready. However, the best solution might be to scout a prospective location first and then use your imagination to create a cache that will fit into the environment. Some locations, hollow trees, downed logs... might lend themselves to any container. But a fake tree or treestump is priceless. I sure I hope I don't come accross any of those out there. It might be too difficult for me. icon_biggrin.gif

I have been heavilly researching the PVC cache myself. I thought it would make an excellent container. Then I found that it wasn't an original idea and that some have even done a fantastic job with paint etc. Also I have learned that there are a few problems with them like their resemblance to pipe bombs and leaking. I have a few ideas to consider for correcting for those issues.

Reading this thread, which I hadn't noticed before, has even given me a lot more food for thought. I love the ideas of bird houses or the hole in the tree with a door. The tree stump is excellent. The mortar tube is sort of a ready made alternative to the PVC.

A lot to think about. It seems that it may not be bad to get or build a few vessals to put a cach in. That way I would be prepared when ready. However, the best solution might be to scout a prospective location first and then use your imagination to create a cache that will fit into the environment. Some locations, hollow trees, downed logs... might lend themselves to any container. But a fake tree or treestump is priceless. I sure I hope I don't come accross any of those out there. It might be too difficult for me. icon_biggrin.gif

Have a look at my UK cache "Hey Diddle Diddle".

18" length of 4 inch PVC tube with tree bark glued to it along with expanded poly foam, all painted to match its surroundings.

The first cacher walked passed it and repoted it as stolen.

PHREDD (UK).

I have found that the BEST cashe containers are paintball guppies. Paintball players used them to carry paintballs out on the field with them. After playing paintball for 10+ years, I have a ton of them.

Most of them are non-glossy molded black plastic, I have also seen camo ones. They are the perfect shape, size and color to hide effectivley. They have flip lids, can hold A LOT of stuff, and most importantly they are WATERPROOF! (at least the better ones are) All you need to do is find a paintball supply place in your area, or order some off the internet. You can find them pretty cheap, at least cheaper than ammo cans. And you don't have to waste any time building stuff.

KURTULEAS

I have some plastic lunchboxes I bought at a thrift shop. (They're great for storing 3.5" floppy disks). I imagine a plastic lunchbox would make for a novel cache container as long as you realize they're not watertight. If you use one, be sure to put everything into ziplock baggies! I suppose you could put the cache log into the Thermos bottle, but unless it's one with a wide mouth, it might be a problem to get the log out again. icon_smile.gif

Spiders taste like chicken.

I have some plastic lunchboxes I bought at a thrift shop. (They're great for storing 3.5" floppy disks). I imagine a plastic lunchbox would make for a novel cache container as long as you realize they're not watertight. If you use one, be sure to put everything into ziplock baggies! I suppose you could put the cache log into the Thermos bottle, but unless it's one with a wide mouth, it might be a problem to get the log out again. icon_smile.gif

Spiders taste like chicken.

In the Fall, you can buy those foam pumpkins from the craft stores. They come already cut (Jack-O-Lantern) and not cut. They are thick - Maybe 3/4" and are hollow inside. They Look VERY realistic. I think that would be great for a cache hidden in a pumpkin patch.

My other idea is that they have that textured paint that looks like stone. That would be a way to make a rock cache.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

A pumpkin? A birdhouse? A stuffed squirrel in a leisure suit?

I would have never thought of those kinds of caches-around here it's generally ammo cans, TWare and ice cream containers!

The only different one I've done so far was in a black plastic toothbrush holder. Caulked the holes at each end, some duct tape and velcro to hold it together, and a coat hanger hook taped to it. Filled it with pins and hung it inside an evergreen tree Christmas ornament style. It's in a busy park, so getting it on a hot Saturday can be interesting. Sorry, no photo, though.

I think with Halloween coming along, it's going to be time to place a pumpkin cache!

GPComd

Contents under pressure, do not puncture.

Wow, didn’t think this thread would be back.

Go to https://secure.armysurpluswarehouse.com/categoryDetail.cfm?catagory=Ammo%20Cans%2F%20Containers&start=6

And scroll down to the last two items. A bit pricey for a cache but it may be worth it to you. There are page numbers at the bottom if you want to see other containers.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

This thread's old, but it suits my question.

I'm looking for a cheap way to do a treasure-chest-looking container. I'm sure it's been done before, but I can't find anything in the forums. Any ideas?

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

Try a plastic sewing box with hinged lid and handle--Michael's, Hancock Fabric, and Hobby Lobby carry them. They come in a variety of colors and are not waterproof, but you might overcome this with that strip foam used to weatherproof doors.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

We have at least one stump cache (a hollowed out stump with a container on the underside) here in Washington. Also, in Wenatchee, Wa. we have some really creative cache containers that just blow my mind. I can't say what they are, because that would give them away. The people that put them in got permission to copy them from a geocacher who had already done them in Idaho. I guess unique containers are the new thing. You have to get creative to do urban caches.

Though not a container, I've been on the lookout for these or somethign similar locally:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2054461844

If you don't mind blowing huge bucks you can try

http://www.kruppsdecor.com/krupps/ProductDetails.asp?iDeptID=130&sDepts=+130%2C&mscssid=

Take a peek at-

http://www.kruppsdecor.com/krupps/ProductMain.asp?iDeptId=130&iProductId=worock&sDepts=+130%2C&mscssid=CWQ98F1406279HX5575CXF1PSB0UCWBE

Get a load of the large and extra large rocks! Imagine trying to hollow out those suckers! (but then, imagine the size of the cache container you could get, too!

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

Any pipe smokers here? I've been tempted to get some of the stuff (and immeadately dispose of the contents) just for the container, and make a joke-themed cache out of it.

Also, I was saddened to discover that it appears Fingerhut went out of business. I remember that (at least when I was a kid) they had fake pop cans to hide your jewlrey, etc. in. The only problem with that would be if a cacher picked it up as trash on the way *to* the cache!!

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

While on vacation this summer in Northern Wisconsin I learned from my father-in-law (to be) that the bark from Birch trees is long lasting and takes forever to rot. He says the dead tree inside the bark rots away and leaves the outside. He had a nice sized piece that I thought would make a great cammo for a cache the shape of a coffe can or sorts. When I get the time to put one together I will have to get some pictures posted. I think it will make a great way to hide the cache.

M-D-M Explorations

MrSki and DogMa

40 07.874'N

88 11.647'W