Taking Dogs on the cache search

Guest Dawn

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I must confess that everytime I see this thread listed in the forums, I swear it says "Talking Dogs on the cache search."

So, it's not just me. PHEW.

Caffeine good, talking dogs bad.

-E

------------------

--

35°32.981 98°34.631

Guest echo2000

Maybe Jeremy could fund a kennel that raises geocaching hounds!

They would be trained like seeing-eye dogs and bomb dogs to sniff out ammo cans or plastic containers. Upon finding them, the dog would point and bale mournfully until the owner arrives to bag the cache!

Just kidding, of course.

But if it did happen, I'd choose a Husky and name it "True North". icon_smile.gif

E2

Guest echo2000

Maybe Jeremy could fund a kennel that raises geocaching hounds!

They would be trained like seeing-eye dogs and bomb dogs to sniff out ammo cans or plastic containers. Upon finding them, the dog would point and bale mournfully until the owner arrives to bag the cache!

Just kidding, of course.

But if it did happen, I'd choose a Husky and name it "True North". icon_smile.gif

E2

Guest ClayJar

Okay, I can't take it anymore! Every time I see this topic, I read it as "Talking Dogs on the cache search". Admittedly, my monitor is on its last legs, but I think it's just some strange mental reflex, probably from that Cartoon Network commercial. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ClayJar

Okay, I can't take it anymore! Every time I see this topic, I read it as "Talking Dogs on the cache search". Admittedly, my monitor is on its last legs, but I think it's just some strange mental reflex, probably from that Cartoon Network commercial. icon_biggrin.gif

al hiding spot was very picturesque. We took DEAD IN THE WATER paperback and left some doggy treats, box of crayons, and a georged dollar bill. Thanks much SteveL. We loved your cache. --- yrium ---

[

[This message has been edited by navdog (edited 25 October 2001).]

Guest BigDoggie

Quite a few of our Georgia geocachers make the hobby a family event, including their 4-legged family members. Well behaved dogs are no problem, whether geocaching or not. Poorly behaved dogs ARE a problem, whether geocaching or not.

Guest brownbag

We have taken our Golden Retriever on many caches. For a while she had her own login ID and posted on all the caches she went to. I didn't use the fake doggy talk. It was more of a description of the dog friendly stuff and things a dog doesn't like, at least mine. We have a real problem with cheatgrass that gets in a dogs paws and works its way into the skin. I then gave them 1-3 woofs for dog friendliness.

At some point, I quit doing it and a couple months later cleaned them out. I still log her whenever we take her, so at least people see that it was OK taking a dog.

Guest Walkin Stick

I'm a little confused by this thread... Are there actually people who would consider going geo-caching WITHOUT a dog?!?!?

Why?????

Jenni (my 10 1/2 yr old Golden Retriever) goes just about everywhere I go... including geo-caching!

Ya know though... 10 1/2 years later, and I had no clue you could teach 'em to talk.

Guest bunkerdave

Does anyone have an idea as to how much weight a dog can carry in one of those packs? Of course that depends on the size of the dog, right? Mine are 40 -50 lbs., a Golden Retriever mix and a Brittany Spaniel. Also, has anyone used the little "dog shoes" that are for sale at most pet stores? Any particular brand that works well, or perhaps any to avoid? Do the dogs like them, or do they seem bothered by them? We have serious "cheat grass" in Utah, and on many cache hunts, particularly in the desert, these are almost a necessity to keep it out of my friends' paws. I have spent lots of time (and money) getting them out or having the vet get the ones I couldn't, so I usually only take them where I know it (the grass) won't be a problem.

Guest brownbag

Hi Dave:

A healthy dog can carry up to 25% of their body weight in a properly fitted pack. Since we just use it for overnight trips we have never loaded Teal with more than 15%. Basically, she carries her food and her water for the day. Our dog pack is by Granite Gear and we have liked it a lot.

We also have dog booties. I don't have the brand, and it is not on them. They are better quality than the standard cheap ones you see. It is quite humorous watching the dog the first time you put them on them. It takes a while before they start forgetting them have them on and get about the process of walking in them. We bought them for going out in the winter. We have not used them much.

Call me if you would like to try them. They should be the right size for you dog.

--Rod