Sacagawea gold coins now worth a fortune!!

I still get Susan B. Anthony coins out of the machine at the Post Office... icon_frown.gif

But, I really liked the gold coins, pretty much every vending machine seemed to take them, and I really wanted them to catch on. Now, when I stick in a $5 bill in the ticket machine for the Metrorail Red Line, I get a mountain of quarters...

Of course, the MTA ticket machines are so crappy it is rare to find one working and accepting bills, so I guess that it isn't *that* big a problem...

-jjf

I still get Susan B. Anthony coins out of the machine at the Post Office... icon_frown.gif

But, I really liked the gold coins, pretty much every vending machine seemed to take them, and I really wanted them to catch on. Now, when I stick in a $5 bill in the ticket machine for the Metrorail Red Line, I get a mountain of quarters...

Of course, the MTA ticket machines are so crappy it is rare to find one working and accepting bills, so I guess that it isn't *that* big a problem...

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H.:

The government has now called the coin a failure and discontinued production.

Actually, the article I read about this said they were simply cutting back on production... Hopefully that's all it is, 'cause I like'em too.

quote:
Originally posted by Markj:

Actually, the article I read about this said they were simply cutting back on production... Hopefully that's all it is, 'cause I like'em too.

I heard it on ABC news tonight. They did say that the government has at least 3 years worth stocked away. Guess we still have some time.

creekbed%20logo%20original%202.gif

CreekBed.com

To make the dollar coins successful here in the states, they need to discontinue dollar bills. They dollar coins were almost non-existant. I've never gotten one anywhere, and I've only seen a couple of them, from friends who showed me.

using Canada's loonies and double-loonies hasn't convinced me that dollar coins are the answer (you end up with $15 in change in your pocket after a while) but if that's what the government chooses to do, then bills need to be phased out.

I'm disappointed in the money we have in this country. Years ago when I heard about the "new" bills coming, I couldn't wait, and then they came out and they were nearly the same as the the bills we had all along.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H.:

Dang, I’ve been putting these gold coins in every one of my caches. The government has now called the coin a failure and discontinued production. I bet they’re worth at least $1.10 now.

Seriously though, I liked them.

http://www.creekbed.com/images/creekbed%20logo%20original%202.gif

http://creekbed.com/

I'd like to use the coins but in my area (central california) they don't pop up too often, so when they do pop up I hold on to them. If there were enough of them so that they'd be common and no big thing, I'd use them all the time.

george

I loved those golden dollars. I'd have a pocket full of change and find there was $20 in there. I was on a one man mission to make them common currency. I'd buy $100 worth every week and spend them everywere I went. I'd get reactions ranging from wide eyed cashiers who'd exclaim "You're spending these?", to bartenders who'd examine the coin carefully and say "Sorry, we don't take Canadian money". The banks in my area finally ran out and that was the end of my mission.

In reality, no dollar coin will succeed until they retire the dollar bill. But if they do that, what is the WHERESGOERGE.COM going to do?

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I loved those golden dollars. ... In reality, no dollar coin will succeed until they retire the dollar bill. But if they do that, what is the WHERESGOERGE.COM going to do?

I liked them too, and often received them as change from machines at the PA Bus Terminal. Also the stamp machines at the Post Office. They were better than bills for other vending machines, as well. (Never had a vending machine refuse a Sacagawea or Susan B. . . . I think the refusal rate has been close to 25% on dollar bills.)

Maybe "Where's George" would have morphed to "Where's Tom," if only people would use those nifty $2 bills.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I can sell you "gold" coins. They have a loon on one side and a Monarch on the other. I'll sell them to you for $1 each plus shipping.

icon_smile.gif

spray painted canadaian quarters???? icon_confused.gif

No! icon_smile.gif Canadian Quarters have a Caribou on them!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:

I can sell you "gold" coins. They have a loon on one side and a Monarch on the other. I'll sell them to you for $1 each plus shipping.

icon_smile.gif

spray painted canadaian quarters???? icon_confused.gif

No! icon_smile.gif Canadian Quarters have a Caribou on them!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

In reality, no dollar coin will succeed until they retire the dollar bill. But if they do that, what is the WHERESGOERGE.COM going to do?

whereswilly.com, the Canadian counterpart to wheresgeorge.com, starts at the $5 level. That's a possibility.

There will still be lots of dollar bills in circulation even after production stops so the Where's George site itself may not change for quite a while after that. What might happen is fives (or twos, if those go into mass-production again) will become the most commonly entered denomination.

Personally, I liked using $2 bills. I'd bring them to sci-fi conventions and such. The main problem was, except for the occasional deposit, the banks never seemed to get any twos so I had to stop.

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

What might happen is fives (or twos, if those go into mass-production again) will become the most commonly entered denomination.

Personally, I liked using $2 bills. I'd bring them to sci-fi conventions and such. The main problem was, except for the occasional deposit, the banks never seemed to get any twos so I had to stop.

didnt they (BEP) print more twos in 1995?

if you really want duces go to a Federal Reserve bank, i dont think you could easily tap out their supply icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

What might happen is fives (or twos, if those go into mass-production again) will become the most commonly entered denomination.

didnt they (BEP) print more twos in 1995?

if you really want duces go to a Federal Reserve bank, i dont think you could easily tap out their supply icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I will say one nice thing about the Canuks....and only one icon_biggrin.gif

I saw a show on the discovery channel or some such about making coins. when they got the Canadian gold coins,I think it said that the process that they put it through makes it almmost 100% pure gold coin. The detail and beauty of the coin was fantastic. It said the Canadians take great pride in making their coins. In the US it is mainly a cookie cutter type of coin making, but hell we have so much of it,we don't have time to sit there and take a day per coin.....hahaha I couldn't resist....

See ROB mrcpu I CAN give credit and say something nice about the Canadinas!

CANADA HAS A WARSHIP??? icon_wink.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

I will say one nice thing about the Canuks....and only one icon_biggrin.gif

I saw a show on the discovery channel or some such about making coins. when they got the Canadian gold coins,I think it said that the process that they put it through makes it almmost 100% pure gold coin. The detail and beauty of the coin was fantastic. It said the Canadians take great pride in making their coins. In the US it is mainly a cookie cutter type of coin making, but hell we have so much of it,we don't have time to sit there and take a day per coin.....hahaha I couldn't resist....

See ROB mrcpu I CAN give credit and say something nice about the Canadinas!

CANADA HAS A WARSHIP??? icon_wink.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

Nothing personal, they're both just too close to the same size as a quarter. I don't make enough to had someone an SBA and not get change. icon_frown.gif

The Sacajewa was better because of it's gold color, but still almost the same size as a quarter.

Changing the size (or shape, hexagonal coins anyone?) is a must for a one dollar coin to be a success.

AtP

Nothing personal, they're both just too close to the same size as a quarter. I don't make enough to had someone an SBA and not get change. icon_frown.gif

The Sacajewa was better because of it's gold color, but still almost the same size as a quarter.

Changing the size (or shape, hexagonal coins anyone?) is a must for a one dollar coin to be a success.

AtP

quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Pun:

AtP

I'd agree that the SBA's were a huge mistake. The reason that the new dollar coins stayed the same size and shape is that vending machines, etc. had already been updated to accept SBA's.

I don't have any trouble distinguishing the dollar coins from the quarters, even fishing them out of my pocket (smooth edge on new dollar, serrated edge on quarter).

I think the big difference is just conditioning, we are conditioned to think of coins as being worthless and bills of having value. After all, a $1 bill is the exact size, shape, and color of a $100 (well an older one), which is why we are generally uncomfortable with bills over $20 (much to most EU folks amazement). We don't mind looking at the weird picture of Henry Fonda (with big hair) to distinguish a new $20 from a $10, but we don't like looking to look to distinguish between $.25 and $1...

Really, it is kind of silly. When the government sees fit to cut social services for budgetary reasons, replacing the $1 and $5 bill with coins makes a lot of sense. I'd rather adjust to a slight change in currency and put the millions (really!) of dollars saved each year into something worthwhile.

Of course, I'd personally like to take a hammer to the bill slot on every vending machine in southern California! I can *never* get one to take a $1 or $5...

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Pun:

AtP

I'd agree that the SBA's were a huge mistake. The reason that the new dollar coins stayed the same size and shape is that vending machines, etc. had already been updated to accept SBA's.

I don't have any trouble distinguishing the dollar coins from the quarters, even fishing them out of my pocket (smooth edge on new dollar, serrated edge on quarter).

I think the big difference is just conditioning, we are conditioned to think of coins as being worthless and bills of having value. After all, a $1 bill is the exact size, shape, and color of a $100 (well an older one), which is why we are generally uncomfortable with bills over $20 (much to most EU folks amazement). We don't mind looking at the weird picture of Henry Fonda (with big hair) to distinguish a new $20 from a $10, but we don't like looking to look to distinguish between $.25 and $1...

Really, it is kind of silly. When the government sees fit to cut social services for budgetary reasons, replacing the $1 and $5 bill with coins makes a lot of sense. I'd rather adjust to a slight change in currency and put the millions (really!) of dollars saved each year into something worthwhile.

Of course, I'd personally like to take a hammer to the bill slot on every vending machine in southern California! I can *never* get one to take a $1 or $5...

-jjf

quote:

In reality, no dollar coin will succeed until they retire the dollar bill.

That is very, very true. I don't know what the US Mint is thinking.

CITIZENS don't want dollar coins, because they are MUCH much easier to spend than dollar bills. Take away that choice, and they will be forced to use one or the other.

Back in the 70's, Japan got rid of their 100-yen bill and went exclusively to the coin. Same thing with the 500-yen coin around 1985. People were forced to use the coins because that's all there was to use! It took about two years for the Japanese mint to get rid of just about every circulated piece of currency.

FYI, it's not like 500-yen is worth 50 cents. It's approximately worth $5. They rarely use credit cards, and I've never seen a check (aka cheque) in Japan. So it's all cache [sic] over there. Yeah, it's weird walking around with $50 worth of coins in your pockets, but it keeps the money flowin'.

Take away the dollar bill, and people will use the dollar coin. We should be on the $5 coin by now. Smallest currency should be a $10.

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I used the Golden Dollars whenever I got them, but didn't go out of my way to head to the bank and grab a bunch. Now if the ATMs started dropping 20 or 40 coins on you that would be a bit of a pain. Especially considering I hit the ATM every Monday morning before passing through security at the airport.

"Sir? Why do you have a pile of 60 dollar coins in your computer bag?"

icon_eek.gif

I used the Golden Dollars whenever I got them, but didn't go out of my way to head to the bank and grab a bunch. Now if the ATMs started dropping 20 or 40 coins on you that would be a bit of a pain. Especially considering I hit the ATM every Monday morning before passing through security at the airport.

"Sir? Why do you have a pile of 60 dollar coins in your computer bag?"

icon_eek.gif

quote:
To make the dollar coins successful here in the states, they need to discontinue dollar bills. They dollar coins were almost non-existant. I've never gotten one anywhere, and I've only seen a couple of them, from friends who showed me.

How do you stamp "Where's George" on the $1 coin. Then would it be "Where's Sacagawea?"

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Maybe "Where's George" would have morphed to "Where's Tom," if only people would use those nifty $2 bills.

Yeah right! Give up my collection of $2 bills? Then what would I do for emergency money in my purse (I keep a big wad of them in my wallet - I hate to spend them, so I tell myself that they are for emergencies only and they haven't been spent yet - knock on formica)?

My kids each got a $2 bill from Grandma and Grandpa in the Easter cards. I've been trying to convince them that the two $1 are worth the same thing and wouldn't they want to trade? "But these are cool, Mom." Yeah, that's why I want them!

RedwoodRed

We've been through some currency changes here that you can learn from. First, we got the $1 coin. The banks pulled all the $1 bills so that in the space of about 6 months you were lucky to get a $1 bill. It turned out to be very convenient to purchase pop and candy at vending machines. The initial fears that the price would go up was somewhat true, however the price leveled off at $1 and has pretty well stuck there ever since.

Then came the $2 coin. As some of you may be aware, Canada has been using a $2 bill for a long time. The $2 coin is interesting because it is made of 2 different metals. Silver coloured on the outside ring with a centre circle that is bronze coloured. The fear that prices would go up at vending machines was unfounded. For a while the transit fare (cash fare) was exactly $2 so that was pretty convenient.

The $1 coin has been nicknamed the LOONIE because it features a loon on one side (The Queen of Canada is on the other). The $2 coin became the TWOONIE for obvious reasons. It features a polar bear on one side and our Queen on the other.

The main reason for issuing coins is to save money. I'm not entirely sure of the cost of making the $1 coin vs the $1 bill but I can guarantee that the coin has a life of several years where the $1 bills are destroyed after 6 months.

The other nice thing about a Twoonie is collecting them. I grab the toonies out of my change and throw them into a jar. Before I know it I've got over $200 in there. It's an easy way for me to save.

There has been some rumour that they will switch us to a $5 coin. Our $5 bill has a low circulation life too so it would make sense.

On thing to remember is that the currency is NOT decided by government. In our case the Bank of Canada is a private corporation. I saw something on TLC about your Treasury being owned by four British Banks! It's pretty weird when you realize just what money is or more to the point, isn't!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

It's funny how foreign coins just fly out of caches, even the one from less exotic countries like Canada.

We're tacking a few days onto our Glacier NP vacation this summer to drive into Canada ... and one reason is to pick up cool coins to collect and to leave as cache prizes. My geocaching buddy has already informed me he's sending money along with me for just that purpose....

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

FYI, it's not like 500-yen is worth 50 cents. It's approximately worth $5.

Which is a good thing when a soda cost a buck twenty.

I agree that the bigger coins are nifty.

But where we really should be heading is digital currency. You slip a twenty dollar bill into the soda machine and out pops a card that can be used in parking meters, phones, stores, transportation, and whatever else.

Coins just don't make much sense anymore.

Oh, and while the Canadian warship story was good, I particularly liked:

CLOSED DISINFORMATION AGENCY CAN'T CONVINCE STAFF IT'S CLOSED

"Right, We're 'Closed,' Gotcha,"

Say Winking Employees Washington, D.C. — Following Tuesday's announcement that the Pentagon had closed the controversial Office of Strategic Influence, which allegedly was created to spread false information abroad, the agency said it has been unable to convince OSI employees to stop reporting for work. "

--

You can muffle the drum, and you can loosen the strings of the lyre, but who shall command the skylark not to sing? ~Khalil Gibran

I don't know about the Japanese having the highest credit card debt per capita, but they rarely use credit cards for anything - allow me to clarify - in their day to day activities. Folks here use CCs to pay for groceries, gas, everything practically. Their expeditures come from vacations, travelling, and other high-end stuff. It's just a matter of point-of-reference.

As far as Shinola's comments about the fact that Coke costs $1.20, yep. That's irritating as crap. Thank goodness they finally adopted 12 oz cans 15 years ago. The 8 oz sell for the same price! Anyways, back to the point. It was the coining of higher denominations that created increases in the price of vending goods. I remember the days before the 500 yen coin, I could get small 6 oz bottles of coke for 50 yen. It creates inflation because it increases the ease of which to part with your money. Also makes for the case of smaller coins. Back when the 50 cent piece was in wide spread circulation, it was a LOT of money. Now it's not worth bulging your pants for. That 500 yen coin? About 3/4 the size of the 50-cent piece and a little thicker. Convienience.

So now that I've confused everyone of my stance on this, I'll clarify icon_smile.gif

I am NOT for the coining of anything bigger than a buck. Frankly, I'm tired of fighting coke machines with crappy dollar bills. But, if they ARE going to go ahead and keep minting the $1 coins, they're going to have to retire George to get 'em to stick.

---------------

I don't know about the Japanese having the highest credit card debt per capita, but they rarely use credit cards for anything - allow me to clarify - in their day to day activities. Folks here use CCs to pay for groceries, gas, everything practically. Their expeditures come from vacations, travelling, and other high-end stuff. It's just a matter of point-of-reference.

As far as Shinola's comments about the fact that Coke costs $1.20, yep. That's irritating as crap. Thank goodness they finally adopted 12 oz cans 15 years ago. The 8 oz sell for the same price! Anyways, back to the point. It was the coining of higher denominations that created increases in the price of vending goods. I remember the days before the 500 yen coin, I could get small 6 oz bottles of coke for 50 yen. It creates inflation because it increases the ease of which to part with your money. Also makes for the case of smaller coins. Back when the 50 cent piece was in wide spread circulation, it was a LOT of money. Now it's not worth bulging your pants for. That 500 yen coin? About 3/4 the size of the 50-cent piece and a little thicker. Convienience.

So now that I've confused everyone of my stance on this, I'll clarify icon_smile.gif

I am NOT for the coining of anything bigger than a buck. Frankly, I'm tired of fighting coke machines with crappy dollar bills. But, if they ARE going to go ahead and keep minting the $1 coins, they're going to have to retire George to get 'em to stick.

---------------

I have YET to recover an S $. I do have a couple full sheets of $1 bills from the printing office in DC. Cheaper than high-end wallpaper... In years past, a tuppence was thrown overboard when leaving Nantucket, to guarantee a safe return. A few still wash up after a storm. I have spot welded a few current pennies together that I toss at Brant Point. Now I have been engraving pennies for this summer's cache adventures. (don't EVEN tell me about destroying money, what about all the beer soaked, wadded-up bills I find in my pocket on Sunday morning?) icon_rolleyes.gif

I have YET to recover an S $. I do have a couple full sheets of $1 bills from the printing office in DC. Cheaper than high-end wallpaper... In years past, a tuppence was thrown overboard when leaving Nantucket, to guarantee a safe return. A few still wash up after a storm. I have spot welded a few current pennies together that I toss at Brant Point. Now I have been engraving pennies for this summer's cache adventures. (don't EVEN tell me about destroying money, what about all the beer soaked, wadded-up bills I find in my pocket on Sunday morning?) icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

The $1 coin has been nicknamed the LOONIE because it features a loon on one side (The Queen of Canada is on the other). The $2 coin became the TWOONIE for obvious reasons. It features a polar bear on one side and our Queen on the other.

I thought those $2 coins were called MOONIES. Because they have the Queen on the front, and her bear behind.