DEET

Our daughter had a severe neurological reaction to DEET when she was very young. Unfortunately we had applied some 100% (Jungle Juice - Vietnam War Era) DEET to her. Fortunately she recovered completely. I subsequently read an article in Outside Magazine describing several deaths of young children due to DEET. So, never use high concentration DEET on young kids, and never cover large areas of their body with the low concentration stuff either.

Two weeks ago I sprayed a 29% DEET repellent on my sunburned arms before heading out to hide a cache 4 miles into the woods. I developed a blistery rash - not Poison Ivy; I never had my arms in any weeds. I am still itching and am now on oral Prednisone to try to rid myself of it.

DEET? No thanks...I'll cover myself up with clothing first!

quote:
Originally posted by zormsk:

DEET? No thanks...I'll cover myself up with clothing first!

Your family sounds very sensitive to Deet. Have you considered PERMETHRIN based repelents. They come in a number of different trade names, iue Duranon, etc, come from the etals of flowers, are sprayed on clothes, not skin, and haven't been found to be "dangerous" to humans from what I read. Check out the web for more on it. You spray it on clothes that protects for two weeks through two washings and is very effective against ticks. They die when crawling on your clohes is what I read.

Alan

Cachew_ Have you ever tried using permetrin as a spray after you return to your car from caching. Sort of like spraying it on your clothes to kill anything they may still be riding on you? I've tried it myself but don't really know if it work??

alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Cachew_ Have you ever tried using permetrin as a spray after you return to your car from caching. Sort of like spraying it on your clothes to kill anything they may still be riding on you? I've tried it myself but don't really know if it work??

alan

I usually don't do anything against what the label directions say. You are not supposed to spray your clothes while you are wearing them. It's usually sprayed on several hours before wearing the clothes, as it needs a chance to dry. You are not supposed to get it on your skin while wet.

I regularly use 29% Deet from Wal-Mart and have had excellent results against skeeters and ticks and forest flies - although I use it very carefully and selectively.

I read a couple of other replies about DEET reacting with the clear plastic on cell phones, watch crystals, etc. and wanted to relate a personal experience:

As I was applying some insect spray in the woods, I accidentally got some DEET overspray on the clear plastic window of my GPSR protective case which was hanging around my neck. The DEET did evetually start to react with the plastic and fog it up. When I noticed what was happening, I neutralized it with a couple of drops of water (okay - spit) and wiped it off. After I returned home I was successful in using a dab of plexiglass cleaner followed by some good quality liquid car wax to restore the plastic to near-new condition. I guess I was lucky that the overspray didn't get directly on the GPSR window itself.

That's my Hint From Heloise for the day....[;)]

I regularly use 29% Deet from Wal-Mart and have had excellent results against skeeters and ticks and forest flies - although I use it very carefully and selectively.

I read a couple of other replies about DEET reacting with the clear plastic on cell phones, watch crystals, etc. and wanted to relate a personal experience:

As I was applying some insect spray in the woods, I accidentally got some DEET overspray on the clear plastic window of my GPSR protective case which was hanging around my neck. The DEET did evetually start to react with the plastic and fog it up. When I noticed what was happening, I neutralized it with a couple of drops of water (okay - spit) and wiped it off. After I returned home I was successful in using a dab of plexiglass cleaner followed by some good quality liquid car wax to restore the plastic to near-new condition. I guess I was lucky that the overspray didn't get directly on the GPSR window itself.

That's my Hint From Heloise for the day....[icon_smile.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

alan

I usually don't do anything against what the label directions say. You are not supposed to spray your clothes while you are wearing them. It's usually sprayed on several hours before wearing the clothes, as it needs a chance to dry. You are not supposed to get it on your skin while wet.

The reason I mentioned it is that Permethrin is used in lice treatment which you rub in kid's hair to kill them. Lice is a cousin of Ticks. If you could rub the stuff in your hair to kil lice, why not apray it on your clothes before you get into your car to kill any hanger oners. A quick spritz!

ALan

I have personally seen Deet melt a car dash, plastic cup holder, waterproof dry bag and a plastic kayak, not to mention plastic shopping bags. I kayak a lot -- with a plastic boat. I decided instead of trying to carry the Deet with me in a glass jar, I switched to Cactus Juice and just reapply it as needed. It works for No-seeums which Deet does not and it won't melt my boat. Cactus Juice also includes a sunscreen, so you don't loose the suncreen when you put on the bug repellant.