Do you pay to visit?

I've encountered several caches (mostly virtual) that can only be visited by paying admission to a park or museum. Not a problem for me, but I recently canned an idea for a physical cache at a local paintball field (not owned by me) because although paintball is an experience I'd like to share, it would profit the field. I'm sure the field operators would have approved it as the cache could have been worked into some of their scenario based games. It would have made for an exciting level 5 requiring paintball markers and gear as special equipment. icon_biggrin.gif Any thoughts?

There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken.

Caches in parks or museums that require a fee are acceptable. Generally it's a good idea to mention the fee on the cache page, but not everyone does it.

Caches in for-profit places that require a fee are not generally acceptable. They are considered commercial, and are prohibited.

From the cache guidelines page:

"What is a commercial cache? A commercial use of the web site cache reporting tool is an direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a geocaching.com listing. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services."

Jamie

I attempted to log a virtual this weekend that would have required a fee. I know what the structure is and was willing to pay to take the tour. What kept me from doing so, however, was the $7 parking fee they wanted on top of it.

That cache will remain unlogged by me until I can there another way.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

where there is a fee to enter. The Franklin Mountain State Park in El PasoTexas is 37 square miles of mountain and desert area. There are 8 caches in the park, 5 are in a fee area. The fee is $3 per person over 12 years old. 3 caches are close enough to do in one day. They are: The Lost Aztec Treasure (3.5/4.5), The Nature Walk (1/1), and Mundy's Gap (2/3.5). The other two can also be done in one day. They are: Schaeffer Moon Walk (3/3.5), and North Mays Stash (2/3.5). I guess a really good cacher could do all in one day. It would be one h377 of a day!

This said, there have been a number of visits to all the caches. So I guess the public doesn't mind the fee. A few have 4-wheeled it into the park to save the fee. One busted up his van, then complained about it on the log. (North Mays) IMO, fees are OK, it helps the park, and that helps everyone.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I don't mind paying the park fee, as they usually are worth the money just to see the park and its features. I have been to a number of state parks and the fees arn't that bad. Worth the fee to keep the parks open without them there would be a great number of caches that would not be accessable to anyone. They usually have a annual fee for state parks that covers all the parks in the state. (at least Florida anyway) Someone that can't afford the fee has the option to go to the many free areas there are with caches in them. It would be nice to note it in the cache discription though. Just my opinion

Altree

(you will not starve with a p38 and a can of food)

There are a lot of "park fee" caches in my area. To me that's not necessary. There are too many places just as beautiful and well hidden in the same areas as the parks. And there aren't multiple caches in these parks. Maybe for tourists who visit here it would be worth it (this is a huge tourist area). But as for caches for those who live here it's kind of annoying to have to pay a fee just to go find one cache. Then go down the street and do it again.

I'm new to caching and haven't placed any of my own yet but will definitely be putting some out around here where you don't have to pay to get access to them.

---------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

http://www.kjjeep.com