HOW-TO: Mass Setting of download icon to "Geocache"

mrcpu

I find it quite annoying that the download format is still the original ".loc" format and not the new and improved ".gpx" format that EasyGPS and it's brothers supports. I also find it annoying that Geobuddy doesn't seem to .GPX either!

I've come up with a way to mass convert waypoint icons to "Geocache" icons. It's a bit technical but here goes:

1. Go get "sed.exe" It is a stream editor ported over from the unix world. You will have to find Unix ports on the net. Perhaps I will follow up with a link.

2. Go get the LATEST version of EasyGPS (Or if you are using ExpertGPS or Panterra got get the latest versions of them)

3. Put sed.exe in your windows directory so it is in your path

4. Create a batch file that looks like this:

sed -e s/Waypoint/Geocache/g %1 > %1.out.gpx

5. Download the .loc information, open it in easygps and save it as a .gpx format.

6. Drag the .gpx format file and drop it on the batch file you created.

7. Open the newly created .out.gpx file to see the icons are all "Geocache"

I realize this is a bit unwealdy for most people and I'm sorry. I've asked the author of EasyGPS to support mass icon changes and I believe that when Geobuddy's next release comes out it will do GPX and therefore probably support this as well.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Rob,

You can do that in GeoBuddy right now. Use the 'manipulate' item on the 'waypoint' menu. The problem I've found is when I save the results as a .WPT file for MapSource, it doesn't import. It did work in MapSource 4.0.6, but Garmin has pulled that code out. I need to log a bug with them.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

Rob,

You can do that in GeoBuddy right now. Use the 'manipulate' item on the 'waypoint' menu. The problem I've found is when I save the results as a .WPT file for MapSource, it doesn't import. It did work in MapSource 4.0.6, but Garmin has pulled that code out. I need to log a bug with them.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Tried it already.... when I save the file as a .loc file it loses the changes!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Here's what happens; The waypoint "Type" field changes but when I save the file as a .loc and open it in panterra the symbol is still waypoint, while the "Type" (whatever that is supposed to mean?!) has changed.

I THINK it is because the .loc file format doesn't do symbols. I THINK you need to support .gpx instead. This is all speculation...

Cheers!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Rob,

I believe the .loc format DOES support symbols; however, not all gps units support the specific "geocache" icons.

In the past, to do a mass change, I exported the waypoints as a .csv file then pasted "geocache" into the type field and imported it back into ExpertGPS. It worked great, EXCEPT, the cache info URL does not export out and back in so you lose all the links to the caches in the .loc file when you're done. I use that info alot, so I'm now back to manually changing each waypoint symbol. icon_frown.gif

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

Rob,

I believe the .loc format DOES support symbols; however, not all gps units support the specific "geocache" icons.

In the past, to do a mass change, I exported the waypoints as a .csv file then pasted "geocache" into the type field and imported it back into ExpertGPS. It worked great, EXCEPT, the cache info URL does not export out and back in so you lose all the links to the caches in the .loc file when you're done. I use that info alot, so I'm now back to manually changing each waypoint symbol. icon_frown.gif

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

EpertGPS, you can change icons for only view then on maps. If you want an icon that is not in your GPS, click on file, then properties, click on the GPS tab, here you can change your GPS model to another GPS with has the icon you want to add to your maps. Go back to your waypoint and change your icon.

Remember, if you should upload waypoints to your GPS, you will need to change you GPS back to the original settings. The icons will stay the same on your maps, but uploading icons will create a default icon.

I've been working on a program that does something like this. I've altered the icons on my Mag 315 to geocaching type icons. Also, I wrote a program to change the symbols in .loc files to match these icons. Have a look see at http://home.mn.rr.com/pbe/

Though the 315 hack won't be useful to other model owners, the HMTL conversion program might. If they really don't have any use for day markers, buoys, etc, they may be able to get used to how it looks on their gps.

Right now it only changes geocaches it finds in HTML, but with a little gentle coaxing I could make it work as requested above icon_smile.gif

I've been working on a program that does something like this. I've altered the icons on my Mag 315 to geocaching type icons. Also, I wrote a program to change the symbols in .loc files to match these icons. Have a look see at http://home.mn.rr.com/pbe/

Though the 315 hack won't be useful to other model owners, the HMTL conversion program might. If they really don't have any use for day markers, buoys, etc, they may be able to get used to how it looks on their gps.

Right now it only changes geocaches it finds in HTML, but with a little gentle coaxing I could make it work as requested above icon_smile.gif

Mossy Oak,

Sounds like u have the answer to what I've been looking for, ie: changing symbols in easyGPS but I couldn't make out your post. Could you step through it again please? I'm using a gps V & would like to use a symbol other than the default dot but hate to change each one manually.