Geocaching Pet Peeves

quote:
Originally posted by OuttaHand:

My main pet peeve is those who gripe TOO much about the quality of the items in a cache.

Oh gawd. I'm modifying my list. That one has to be at the TOP for me. icon_wink.gif

Another peet peeve I just thought of are cachers who feel the need to criticize or slam your cache when they log their find online.

"Hardly seemed like a 1 to me. Seemed more like a 1.5."

or the WORST..., "Coordinates were way off. Cache was ten feet from where it SHOULD have been. Here are the ACTUAL coordinates"

That one always makes me chuckle.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

People who steal the extra weatherproofing bag that I place around the logbook, which then gets wet, because they don't re-seal the cache properly. Adding insult to injury, they then take the outer bag too.

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

I guess I haven't found enough caches to really develop a pet peeve, the little things that have bugged me, so far, are mostly minor, and the non-minor one only happened once so far, so I can't really call it a peeve. Still, I like reading this thread in a 'what not to do, checklist' sort of way.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

What? You guys don't like my math cache? I didn't even reveal that the coordinates were in Radians for a while until after several people found it without the clue. I thought it was pretty funny when people posted that it was as easy as "PI". I wish I had thought of that as a clue.

Math has as much to do with finding a cache as does encryptions that take 4 days of internet searching to find out how to solve, silly stories about whatever, puzzles, looking for dates or whatever to fill in the next coordinates, having to paddle to an Island to find it...

People create these caches to provide a little variety, otherwise we might as well all just provide the coordinates directly to the cache (how boring would that be). Better yet, we might as well paint our caches fluorescent orange and tell you where they are. If math is difficult for you, just remember that history is hard for me, and something else is difficult for someone else. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Some caches require that I do some Internet surfing to figure out.

If I feel like it, I look at difficult to solve caches as a challenge. If I just don't feel like figuring it out, I can always look for a different cache.

Variety is the spice of life!

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

People create these caches to provide a little variety, otherwise we might as well all just provide the coordinates directly to the cache (how boring would that be).

If I feel like it, I look at difficult to solve caches as a challenge. If I just don't feel like figuring it out, I can always look for a different cache.

We feel that way too. Some days, we are really into the challenge, some days we just want an easy hunt.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Would that be "all" bears, or just the straight ones?

You aren't serious I hope?

Adding to my list:

1 star difficulties that are at best a 2.5

1 star caches with NO clue, and NO description of even where it **might** be

Multi caches that seem pointless

I only have two big pet peeves regarding geocaching. The first is people who try to make it into a contest. The only person I am caching against is myself thank you. The other is people who complain about caches in their logs, especially when they have yet to hide one. If you have a problem with a cache, email the hider. If you think you can do better, lets see it.

Familys that go out (and I have kids too so I'm not bashing kids) and they let each and every kid take the 3 or 4 most exspensive things in the cache and replace them with mctoys or other trivial junk. My rule is 1 trade per cache, and trade kindly. If I've got three kids with me..we'll either do 3 caches that day.....or rotate when we can.

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

If math is difficult for you, just remember that history is hard for me, and something else is difficult for someone else. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Some caches require that I do some Internet surfing to figure out.

That's true, but as I understand it, a lot of people create very difficult puzzles that lead to just another uninteresting 1/8 mile walk to a lame cache. What a waste of time. People shouldn't make puzzles as an excuse for being too lazy to find a cache location worth visiting.

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

I'm with Criminal. I hate math. What does math have to do with hiding stuff in the woods?

Math has something to do with everything! It is the universal language. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree. I find it way too ironic that people who whine about having to use math to geocache use something called a GPS that is nothing if not a mathematical device. Life's tough when you have to use what you learned in school. Or maybe they realize they didn't learn enough.

My pet peeve is people who don't read the cache description before heading out and then complain when they can't find the cache due to lack of information.

• Rules that don't make sense.
  • Rules that assume that people are basically dishonest and need to be monitored.
E.g., the de facto rule against new virtual caches.

Yeah, I've heard about the history. But there are plenty of sports where people are assumed to be honest -- where cheating is so easy that it's not worth it. Birdwatching and mail-in shooting matches, fer instance.

I know it's your clubhouse and I ain't gonna change your rules, but I hope that someone will build another clubhouse someday.

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.

Another peeve: people who don't log their find until days/weeks later, especially when it's a first find or involves a travel bug. It sucks to see a string of logs that say, "Went looking for the bug, but it wasn't there." Our rule is to log a find before we go to sleep.

<timpaula>

quote:
Originally posted by claypigeon58:

I find it way too ironic that people who whine about having to use math to geocache use something called a GPS ..

Ironic? They use a GPSr so they don't have to use math (like navigators had to do before GPS!) icon_wink.gif

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:
I agree. I find it way too ironic that people who whine about having to use math to geocache use something called a GPS that is nothing if not a mathematical device. Life's tough when you have to use what you learned in school. Or maybe they realize they didn't learn enough.

You know what bugs the F out of me? A guy asks, "what are your pet peeves" and you respond with your pet peeves (math caches) and somebody tries desperately to find a way to take offense at it. Nobody was whining, only responding.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I have to agree with Criminal on this one. The whole point of this thread is to get things about caching that bugs you off your chest. I love math caches. I hate caches that require you to walk a half mile in a smelly marsh just to get to a tupperware container.

Other people may be just the opposite.

This thread isn't the place to say your likes/dislikes should be the same as mine. It's the place to say what you don't like.

I don't like tapioca. I don't like Australian Rules football. Therefore, I won't bother to find a cache filled with tapioca flavored desserts and tickets to Australian rules football games. Now, if that bothers a group of tapioca famers icon_wink.gif, that have recently just purchased season tickets to a series of Australian Rules football league games, oh well...

-J

I just get bugged when I see a TBUG Watch list email alert in my inbox and get all excited only to discover it's just the entry for the TB I just logged as found in my latest cache hunt. icon_biggrin.gif

I seriously really do NOT like long winded clues. If I am decrypting your clue it is because I have been out in the woods for 30-60 minutes without finding your well designed well hidden cache icon_rolleyes.gif and I would like just a little help to complete the mission. I don't want to spend another 30 minutes decrypting. Of course the scary thing is that I now can read some words without using the table icon_eek.gif.

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel much better now.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:
Originally posted by claypigeon58:

I find it way too ironic that people who whine about having to use math to geocache use something called a GPS ..

Ironic? They use a GPSr so they _don't_ have to use math (like navigators had to do before GPS!) icon_wink.gif

Exactly! Geocaching didn't bring around the use of a GPSr. Navigation has been around for hundreds of years. Why didn't the math nuts make Geocaching popular until the GPSr came around? As techie geeks we expect the gadget to do the math for us.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:

You know what bugs the F out of me? A guy asks, "what are your pet peeves" and you respond with your pet peeves (math caches) and somebody tries desperately to find a way to take offense at it. Nobody was whining, only responding.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Sorry, but you are wrong. icon_smile.gif

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

How about this for a peeve: when it pours rain all Saturday and then on Sunday when it finally clears up you're all excited to print out some cache sheets and the server goes down icon_frown.gif I know Jeremy et al. were doing their best, but it was &%$# frustrating sitting there, hitting reload every half hour with no luck. I was going to take my little brother caching. I'm telling you, I almost cried.

quote:
How about this for a peeve: when it pours rain all Saturday and then on Sunday when it finally clears up you're all excited to print out some cache sheets and the server goes down Frown I know Jeremy et al. were doing their best, but it was &%$# frustrating sitting there, hitting reload every half hour with no luck. I was going to take my little brother caching. I'm telling you, I almost cried.

One way to avoid this is to have most area cache waypoints already downloaded to your GPS. You won't have the cache page, or hints, but you have the waypoint. I find close to half my caches this way, without the printout.

You can also have the cache pages dowloaded to a PDA if you own one, so you won't have to worry about the website being up.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

One way to avoid this is to have most area cache waypoints already downloaded to your GPS. You won't have the cache page, or hints, but you have the waypoint. I find close to half my caches this way, without the printout.

BrianSnat (do you have a nickname? BS somehow doesn't seem right) of course you are right, I should have done my homework in advance. Next time I'll have everything loaded and printed ahead of time.

Bad coordinates. This cache is kilometres from the posted coordinates and the cacher hasn't corrected them even after more than a year.

Poor clues. I want to be able to find a cache with a clue not be left wondering which of a possible hundred hiding spots it's in.

Caches at ground level in the snow belt. It's no fun having to look under deep snow.

PDOP's GPS Pages

I started caching in October of last year and this is the first post that I have made in the forums. I was looking for a place to rant...a place where people might understand the frustration. This looked like the right string to post on.

Today I was happily logging caches and looked through some of the previous logs and saw that on both caches (and by two different people) they had logged the cache as a find but stated specifically in the log that they didn't find it!! I take pride in posting finds. So when I see someone posting that they found the spot but believe it to be gone and post it as a find anyway...well, it burns me up! Just because the dumb buttz didn't look hard enough.

Anyway, I read all of the logs and didn't see this mentioned anywhere and I don't know if it really fits the string but right now this is my pet peeve...thanks for listening.

--=Kira=--

--=Kira=--

Looking for a cache in a rock field. It places a lot of strain on my hip to navigat among the rocks so it detracts from the fun for me.

But since others like them, and I've been warned in advance about the rock field, then I have no business griping too much about it. I certainly don't complain in the log or computer log about it.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

Our peeve is people making a big deal, complaining about something they don't know anything about. One of our caches is hidden beneath a young oak tree (a live oak, to be precise). Our encrypted clue was "look under the baby oak tree/bush." Very specific.

One person who visited the cache coudn't find the cache without getting more help from a friend, because he was ABSOLUTELY SURE that the oak tree was a holly bush, just because the leaves were a little sharp. We've lived under this type of oak tree our whole lives, so we know he was totally off, yet he complained bitterly that we had given a poor hint.

Don't get hung up on the details! We've found caches where we had no idea what kind of tree the hint was describing, and found it anyway. You have to try EVERYTHING, right? And look everywhere.

Sigh. Just a peeve that sometimes people are dumber than you can hope for. icon_rolleyes.gif

Man I am getting tired of cache hiders logging finds on their own caches. I admit that the numbers are somewhat important to me. Its not so much that I want to be better than anyone else, its more that I want to compete against myself. When other people inflate their finds by logging twice on the same cache or logging a find when they didn't actualy find it, or logging finds on their own caches, they make it harder to judge how I'm doing. Like fedupfilms.com said "I take pride in my finds"

Just a pet peeve that I needed to vent about. I feel bettter now.

Happy Halloween

I hate it when they dont put on the cache information whether it is pet friendly or not. We take our dog with us all the time and found a few that have a sign posted... no dogs allowed. Then if we still do it... we hear her howling in the car through the whole hike... because she loves geo-caching more than we do!

My second pet peeve is caches that are left in high tick areas. I am so tired of coming out from finding a cache and picking about 30 ticks off! Disgusting! I am going to wait to do caching till Fall and the ticks have died off!

One more... like everyone ... is the trading down. I carry bunches of stuff with me and if I find a cache lacking I throw in a bunch of stuff. I just cant stand thinking of the little ones that find a cache and find garbage inside... kids settle for almost anything... but, why should they have to settle for someone's garbage!

quote:
Originally posted by SkreeminWeezul:

I hate it when they dont put on the cache information whether it is pet friendly or not.

My second pet peeve is caches that are left in high tick areas.

I agree on the pet friendly notice but you can't really expect a non-pet owner to be thinking of that when they initially do their cache page. Since the sign doesn't pertain to them, it probably doesn't make an impression on them when they walk past it.

Same with the ticks. If they didn't get one when they did the hike you can't expect them to mention it.

But... If some visitor points out either the no dog sign or ticks are in the area the cache owner should then add these to his cache description. To not do it initially is an oversight. To not do it after being notified seems a bit unfriendly.

--- yrium ---

Okay, how about setting up a 'theme cache' and so far, NO ONE has left items in the cache associated with the 'theme'. It is clearly spelled out in the cache description to {kindly} leave items associated with the theme.

So, when I go and perform cache maintenance and find unrelated items, I remove them. Problem solved. icon_razz.gif

"heck, that scares me and I'm fearless"

Definitely the biggest pet sleeve I have is geocachers who refuse to log online. This is a no no in my book! It's important to the cache owner and other cachers to see how the cache is doing and if you are a first finder, you better log it online too! This would be very irritating to the cacher who thought he/she had First Finder dibs only to see some non-online cacher put a log in the book.

Here's another one to throw on the pile.

Cache Owners who make taking and posting a picture of yourself as the SOLE criteria for claiming a find. tough to do when you're by yourself, it's pouring down rain, etc.

I just had a find deleted after almost a YEAR because I failed to post a neccesaary picture. Bummer.

In this case I do have the required photo tucked away someplace and can simply post it and relog but I really don't like posting pictures of myself in all my geekdom on the web. ;D

Jolly R. Blackburn

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Here's another one to throw on the pile.

Cache Owners who make taking and posting a picture of yourself as the SOLE criteria for claiming a find. tough to do when you're by yourself, it's pouring down rain, etc.

I just had a find deleted after almost a YEAR because I failed to post a neccesaary picture. Bummer.

In this case I do have the required photo tucked away someplace and can simply post it and relog but I really don't like posting pictures of myself in all my geekdom on the web. ;D

Jolly R. Blackburn

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Here's my solution. I use my personal TB.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

People who do not encourage their canine companions to make doot OFF the trail... icon_mad.gif

They're out in the wide-open wilds, and the dog has to doot in the extremely small square footage of a footpath!!...Whats up with THAT!?!?! icon_razz.gif

Nothing worse than being a quarter mile or more away from the vehicle and stepping in wet, mushy, smelly doot, and not being able to get it all off, cause it was so wet and mushy, and then having to smell it every where you go for the rest of the cache hunt.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

People who do not encourage their canine companions to make doot OFF the trail... icon_mad.gif

They're out in the wide-open wilds, and the dog has to doot in the extremely small square footage of a footpath!!...Whats up with THAT!?!?! icon_razz.gif

Nothing worse than being a quarter mile or more away from the vehicle and stepping in wet, mushy, smelly doot, and not being able to get it all off, cause it was so wet and mushy, and then having to smell it every where you go for the rest of the cache hunt.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Art

http://www.yankeetoys.org

http://www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.pirate4x4.com

One suggestion... try going barefoot off trail and lay a pile yourself. icon_eek.gif

Really though... I hate it when pet owners don't pick up after their pets. Even if they run out of baggies, get some leaves and toss the doot off trail for cryin' out loud.

Cheers!

TL