Top Geocachers?

quote:
Originally posted by The Solemates:

I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but I seriously don't feel like reading every single thread to figure out the answer..

Well, if you use the SEARCH link at the top of every page, you dont have to read every post.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

There was a point in time where Dan's site was (cough cough) inadvertantly (cough cough) blocked from accessing the Geocaching site. Due to the lapse, some logs never made it over.

There was a thread about it somewhere (quick Markwell!), but I don't recall what Dan said he was going to do.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

Just checked against my user name and the stats are less than accurate. It looks like it has not been updated in quite some time.

A cache a day keeps the blues away...

Doesnt seem to be THAT far off! I just looked at your stats here and here real quick, and it shows the caches you logged 4 days ago. The problem is you changed user names, and the stats page doesn't know that. You can either email Dan and have him merge the 2 names together manually, or you can wait until someone logs the caches that still show your old user name, the page and the stats should then update to your current user name. Since its only 3 caches, if you really want, you might try posting a note to the cache pages with your old user name on them. I think that should get the page to update to display your current user name. You can then delete the note you just made, and then manually update the stats for each of the 3 caches via the "missing logs" link on the stats page.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

[This message was edited by Mopar on January 29, 2003 at 07:16 AM.]

Due to the way Dan's page gathers the info, there are always going to be errors. If you ever changed a DNF to a Find instead of creating a new log Dan's page will never pick it up. If you've ever accidentally logged a find when you should have logged a note, Dan's page won't pick it up EVEN if you delete the old log.

The numbers are close.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by The_Brownies:

Thought Geocaching was not about numbers..

I'm surprised I have not seen a post in here about "GEOCACHING IS NOT ABOUT NUMBERS". icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

So, without numbers, exactly how do you find the caches? All you are left with are:

N ° . W ° . (WGS)

UTM: S E N

or convert to NAD at Jeeep.com

I find that using the numbers makes finding the caches much easier.

icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

for the explanation. Things make sense now.

I agree that caching is not about #s (although from reading some forums, it seems that one's a nobody until one reaches the 100 mark ;-) but when you don't have a high find count (yet), every one counts icon_wink.gif

A cache a day keeps the blues away...

quote:
Originally posted by Last Lap Gang:

and numbers tend to work well. I was wondering that too. Dan's site does not count some of our Pennsylvania or Maryland finds. It is not that big a deal but it is more trying to figure out why it does not. Brain teasers can be fun sometimes.

Wags, Russ & Erin

Yea,I like brain teasers too, so I went through your logs and found the missing ones on Dan's page and updated it for ya. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Last Lap Gang:

I take it you must have some administrative rights. Hey very cool. Much appreciated.

Wags, Russ & Erin

No, not all all. There is a link on the stats page to update missing logs. I just looked at your finds on gc.com real quick, and compared them to the ones showing on the stats page. I then entered the cache numbers of the missing caches, and boom, your done. If you check it every so often, its not hard to keep up with it. Besides, the few it misses, it picks up the next time someone else logs that cache. So unless the cache gets archived with no other finds, eventually it will catch up.

quote:
Originally posted by Rabid Bunny:

Not sure Wadcutter...I've e-mailed Dan before and he's responded pretty quickly. Probably your best bet to notify him.

For some reason when I hit the link to email Dan I get an error message. Does anyone have Dan's email address?

Appreciate it. Thanks.

Never being good in math, for me it was never about the numbers (I mean ratings). Geocaching is very Zen, the journey IS the destination. Qualifying and quantifying can only diminish the value. The instant gratification of seeing your name on the leader board is fun, yes, but competitive and posessive. Let it go.

quote:
The instant gratification of seeing your name on the leader board is fun, yes, but competitive and posessive. Let it go.

I agree completely. It is fun to see your name on the board and it is just for fun. It's not about the competition. I never worried about the numbers and still don't. Weather sucks around here now and on the cold, snowy, icy, just plain stay in the house evenings got to do something. So nothing else to do but plan places to hide new caches and play with the stats some waiting for a break in the weather.

It is zen. It is about getting away from the stress of everyday life. It is about getting out and beating the bushes and seeing things you probably would have passed up because of normal life.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

I agree that caching is not about #s (although from reading some forums, it seems that one's a nobody until one reaches the 100 mark ;-)

Is it only 100? I thought it was 500. icon_wink.gif

dadgum! Reminds me of when I was a teen. The drinking age was 18.

5 weeks before my 18th birthday they raised it to 19.

5 weeks before my 19th birthday they raised it to 21.

Once I hit 500 finds you guys are gonna make it 1000, aren't you?