Ticks!!

Went on my first Geocache hunt yesterday. I found that the ticks are most definitely out in force here in southeast Kansas.

What I was wondering if anybody had any good, effictive tricks to keep them little buggers off? Deet, and there's something else I've heard of too, but I don't remember what it's called.

Suggestions? thanks much.

Lee Barnes

There are doorways I haven't opened,

and windows I've yet to look through. Going forward may not be the answer. Maybe I should go back.

Wear light colored clothing so you can see them before they get under your clothing. If you want maximum protection, a DEET based repellent (Off!, Cutter, Ultrathon, Sawyer, Repel etc...) on your skin and hair, and and a permethrin (sp?) based repellent (like Duranon) sprayed on your clothing is the way to go. Some people also tuck their pants into their socks, because ticks tend to enter from that area. Personally, I don't go that far, because the geek factor is quite high with that look.

Most important is to have someone do a full body tick check when you get home. Hopefully Meg Ryan, or Anna Kournikova would be available to help out here.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

After forgetting my bug spray 2 weekends ago, and then picking ticks of me for 2 days, I am back to spraying permathrin on my cache clothes, and using Ben's 100% DEET on my neck, wrists, and above my socks.

I also had my pants in my socks (but I ordered some short gaiters to use in place of that.)

Not one tick last Sunday. Chemical warefare, it seems, does have its place. All ticks must die.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Just a reminder that permethrin based sprays like Duranon and Permanone are for the clothing only.

And despite what the article that oicu812 linked to said, I've found DEET to be effective against ticks. So for full protection, I use a combination of the two.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln