Is there a way to suggest to admins to archive a cache?

I'm curious if theres a way to notify admins of caches that are missing/plundered after notifying the owner and not getting a reponse.

An example

Haunted House -missing for quite some time

Oh and please before screaming at me that I havne't found any caches, I'm one of those phantom cachers that sign your logs but don't post logs on the site. I guess that could get me screamed at too. I just don't care about the count, not a lick.

Posts concerning my question would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by roadchild:

I'm one of those phantom cachers that sign your logs but don't post logs on the site. I guess that could get me screamed at too. I just don't care about the count, not a lick.

Nor do you care about the owner and/or other cachers who like to see and benefit from realtime find information. I hope you don't take travel bugs out of caches.

I suggested this cache be archived, and for 2 very good reasons, also wrote to the cache owners. No replys at all, and the cache is still out there with turkeys tresspassing with GPS in hand.

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks fire an infinite number of bullets at an infinite number of highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary works in Braille.

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

I have report 2 caches to be archived, one was immediatly by an admin and the other one is still missing but active. On my note I stated it should be replaced, archived or disabled. It is one I did before and then went by with my sister so I knew where to look and it was reported missing on the visit before, just the coffee can it was in, which is now missing, been 8 months but it is still active and not there. The cache is centennial in Montreal.

Car37 & Shnde

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Just use the 'archive' option and explain your reason. TPTB will investigate and archive if appropriate. icon_biggrin.gif

It takes quite a while for those requests to be filtered and acted upon, but it does happen. There are other things going on right now that are higher in priority.

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

I suggested this cache be archived, and for 2 very good reasons, also wrote to the cache owners. No replys at all, and the cache is still out there with turkeys tresspassing with GPS in hand.

I looked at this one and subsequent finders disagree with your assessment. I will check it out further and we'll make a decision about the cache.

BTW, the Haunted House cache has been archived.

Some times you can speed up the review process if you also bring the cache to the attention of your local cache approver, or any other approver (like Crow or myself) you are familiar with. We often have a lighter workload then the main office, and can get to these a bit faster if we know about them.

quote:
Originally posted by Crow T Robot:

quote:

I suggested http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8374b09e-0ae1-4079-bd47-8d467756f888 be archived, and for 2 very good reasons, also wrote to the cache owners. No replys at all, and the cache is still out there with turkeys tresspassing with GPS in hand.

I looked at this one and subsequent finders disagree with your assessment. I will check it out further and we'll make a decision about the cache.

I also looked at this one and noted that logs posted before and after Huntnlady's state that despite the signs, hikes are in fact welcome there. The cache description seems to describe the terrain pretty well, and other finders with children along do not seem concerned with the location.

quote:
Originally posted by kd4adc:

quote:

I'm one of those phantom cachers that sign your logs but don't post logs on the site. I guess that could get me screamed at too. I just don't care about the count, not a lick.

Nor do you care about the owner and/or other cachers who like to see and benefit from realtime find information. I hope you don't take travel bugs

out of caches.

I don't take travel bugs, if I did I would log them. I contact the owners directly when there is an issue with a cache, or post notes, I don't post found logs. So I DO IN FACT CARE ABOUT OTHER CACHERS AND CACHES or I would NOT have bothered to post this.

I only said what I did because my count is 0, that doesn't mean I don't ever post anything.

Edited for spelling.

Why would they have 10 No Tresspassing signs still up if they wanted people on the land? No, I do not believe these cache owners are in contact with the Land Trust. You've gotta be there, but is obvious that these No Tresspassing signs mean business.

Should I contact the Napa Land Trust?

If an infinite number of rednecks

riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks

fire an infinite number of bullets

at an infinite number of highway signs,

they will eventually produce all the world's

great literary works in Braille. [icon_smile.gif]

quote:

Why would they have 10 No Tresspassing signs still up if they wanted people on the land? No, I do not believe these cache owners are in contact with the Land Trust. You've gotta be there, but is obvious that these No Tresspassing signs mean business.

Should I contact the Napa Land Trust?

Just an idea, but it might help the admins see the true situation if you have any way to post pictures of the signs. Could help to clear up any ambiguity for those who can't visit the site in person.

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

quote:
Originally posted by SylvrStorm:

Just an idea, but it might help the admins see the true situation if you have any way to post pictures of the signs. Could help to clear up any ambiguity for those who can't visit the site in person.

Well, I will allow the regional admin and geocaching.com to handle this, but it appears to me the area is listed as restricted public access. Several hiking sites do list the trails, with the note that permission must be obtained before hiking there. At least one other log on the cache states that the hider did indeed assure him that permission had been granted. I let the other admin handle it from here.

Okay, I got a reply back from the Napa Land Trust. I emailed them, not saying anything about the cache, but just saying that I wanted to hike around the falls. They were quite clear in their response, there is no trespassing in the area except for members on their twice yearly walk. I put another archive notice on the page, and it was quickly deleted. I have nothing against this cache and I am not trying to be a nosy lady, but it would spoil it for all of us if a geocacher was caught trespassing deliberately to find a cache. Linda Falls

If an infinite number of rednecks

riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks

fire an infinite number of bullets

at an infinite number of highway signs,

they will eventually produce all the world's

great literary works in Braille. icon_smile.gif

There was a cache near me, placed by an out-of-towner and confirmed missing by several previous finders. Several "TCSBA" logs were made, but it remained. I've been working with the park in question, so I emailed the owner about archiving it. After a few weeks of no response, I emailed the site's address. Within a day, an admin archived it.

My point is, I'm not certain an Archive log is always enough. We have some local admins now that we didn't have then, so maybe this would be handled faster if it happened today.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Team Geo-Remdation:

Yep, but you have to log it online. When you do there is an option to to chose that says "Cache should be archived" the admins get these notes and look into it.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

This is not my exerience. I have posted 'Cache should be archived' and the cache remained unarchived and never found again.

Haven't yet come across one that I felt should be archived. I imagine that the approvers for that cache should have a system in place that they follow in order t archive one. I don't think that just someone saying it should be archived that it should be, especially without any verification. I can't imagine that an approver would not archive one without trying to contact the cache owner and fix any discrepancies that are major enough to result in an archive.

When someone clicks on TCSBA, does it automatically send a notice to the approver? Or does the approver have to make rounds of the pages and see the ones that are marked that way?

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Haven't yet come across one that I felt should be archived. I imagine that the approvers for that cache should have a system in place that they follow in order t archive one.

They do, they look at it, read any info., maybe email people, and either archive it or not.

quote:
I don't think that just someone saying it should be archived that it should be, especially without any verification.

Good news, it generally takes more than one person TCSBA. If its just one person nothings done, unless theres a special reason (breaking some rule). But if there have been mulitple DNFs or TCSBA, previous finders couldn't locate it, or maybe the owner even checks and says it gone but doesn't archive it, then it will probley be archived.

quote:
I can't imagine that an approver would not archive one without trying to contact the cache owner and fix any discrepancies that are major enough to result in an archive.

If it appears gone why would they need to contact anyone?

quote:
When someone clicks on TCSBA, does it automatically send a notice to the approver? Or does the approver have to make rounds of the pages and see the ones that are marked that way?

As I understand it, When a TCSBA a 'red flag' message goes to the contact address. Where it waits till it can be looked at, from there its forwards to the correct approver, who looks at it when they get to it. They read/contact people/whatever they feel needs done, and then act from there. The slow part of this is that the contact address gets many many emails everyday, so it may a while for the message to get to the person it needs to.

LOL, no I don't think the approvers just page threw all the caches in their area. Approves usually oversee large areas (whole states sometimes). So them go threw each page, when there may be hundreds or thousands, wouldn't work very well. Thats why sending an email to one with a link and explaining what the problem is the quickest way(well starting a thread is pretty fast too icon_biggrin.gif).

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

Nope, read Mtn-man's reply. How would it know what approver to go to?? icon_biggrin.gif

http://brillig.com/geocaching/http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/22008_1700.gif http://www.gpgeocaching.com/

That's why I was asking, I wasn't sure if the approver was made as the contact as posted in another message up above and it did confuse me a bit. I was also thinking that perhaps the system sends an email to the approver of that cache when someone marks it as TCSBA.

That's why I asked, I didn't know. So after it goes to special que, then who handles it?

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

quote:

That's why I was asking, I wasn't sure if the approver was made as the contact as posted in another message up above and it did confuse me a bit. I was also thinking that perhaps the system sends an email to the approver of that cache when someone marks it as TCSBA.

That's why I asked, I didn't know. So after it goes to special que, then who handles it?

Im not sure why logging a TCSBA would send an email to any certain approver. Whoever approved may not be closest approver, and even if he/she were, theres no way to know if they are at the computer right then. The approvers do have lives outside caching, so it there would have to be a complicated system to ship them to the next one over or something...However, dispite that emailing 'directly' seems to still be quicker, But anyways.

After it gets send to the gc.com queue, someone there looks at it and sends it on. Didn't you read the my other post??? icon_confused.gif

Yes I did read it, but when I did it confused me when you said 'red flag' message goes to the contact address. I thought that a contact address was the person who owns/maintains the cache. My bad, if I misunderstood it.

So the approver who initially approved the cache is not necessarily the person who gets contacted on a TCSBA?

Just trying to understand the grasp of what happens when am user flags a TCSBA.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

Ok, when a TCSBA is posted, an email goes to the gc.com queue. This message is sometimes called a red flag, as its used to mark something, like when used sports I guess.

On a cache page, near the top theres a link to the profile of the caches owner. When your in their profile you can click the link (email this user) to send them a message, its goes just to them.

The contact us (left side), is for contact@geoaching.com, (the gc.com queue).

Eventally the 'red flag' will get to the approver assigned to that area, but they may or may not have been the one who orignally approved the cache. This is because, some older approvers gave up that task, new ones have been added, and if an approver for an area is unavailable (gone, sick, on vaction, whatever), the others will take over the area till they return. I would assume it would be same for who gets the red flag (no point in sending them to someone on vaction for two weeks or something).

Do you understand??

quote:

Yes I did read it, but when I did it confused me when you said _'red flag' message goes to the contact address_. I thought that a contact address was the person who owns/maintains the cache. My bad, if I misunderstood it.

So the approver who initially approved the cache is not necessarily the person who gets contacted on a TCSBA?

Just trying to understand the grasp of what happens when am user flags a TCSBA.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

quote:

Oh and please before screaming at me that I havne't found any caches, I'm one of those phantom cachers that sign your logs but don't post logs on the site. I guess that could get me screamed at too. I just don't care about the count, not a lick.

You are one of those lurkers. Great. I place caches for the online logs and don't give a whit about the log book except that it is a requirment. Most caches I've gone to retreive my log book on seem to get plundered right about then and then I don't even get to read your written log.

That you don't give a whit about your found count is all well and good. But you are also not adding to the ejoyment I get out of placing the cache to begin with.

If I could ban caches from lurkers I would.

Oh and if you did find an issue with my cache and have zero finds to your online credit I would not take your issue seriousely since I would mistake you for a newbie who is just whining and doens't yet have the geocaching legs to know what they are talking about.

Having zero information in your profile doesn't bug me at all.

I recently sent in a TCSBA notice. Logs for the previous year mentioned that the contents were wet and the container was damaged and needed to be replaced. Then people started logging it as not found.

This cache was close to my parents' house (Winnipeg, Manitoba) and my mom (whom I have hooked on geocaching now) went to try to find it. She even brought a new container to put it in, but the cache was no longer there.

So basically, there was about a year's worth of logs stating that the cache needed maintenance, but the owner never took action. From 1500 miles away, I posted a TCSBA note hoping that the admins would take action. The next day, the owner himself archived the cache.

I was always rather curious whether he was told by the admin to archive it, or if he just did it on his own before GC contacted him about it.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.