Insect Repellant

Guest tecmage

Guest tecmage

Hey All,

We ran into some rather LARGE and AGGRESSIVE mosquitos and flys this past weekend. It made me think about investing in a strong insect repellant. We've been using Deep Woods Off, but I wanted to get an idea of what others were using.

Richard and Tracy

Guest tnunnery

A high DEET percentage is the key. The best defense I have found is the insect repellant the military uses known as "Jungle Juice." You can find in an Army/Navy store. Some people have a sensitivity to high concentrations of DEET so make sure it doesn't bore a hole through your skin before you start slathering it on.

Guest Paul Lamble

I've actually made a study of this and here's what I've learned.

DEET is by far the best, but strictly speaking it is not a repellant. It merely disguises you so that bugs can't find you as easily. DEET is absorbed by the skin, and no long term studies have determined what side effects it may have. General observation suggests it is safe for nearly everyone though.

If ticks are a concern, you should also get permethrin. You apply this to your clothing (socks, pants, sleeves) the night before you head out. It is an insecticide not a repellant. It will kill any insect that had contact with it. Supposed to last on your clothes for two weeks and several washings. So far, no adverse human effects have been determined.

Paul Lamble

Guest 300mag

Alternative:I also have used different insect repellent.One day trout fishing one of my buddies took out a rubbing compound (liquid) for sore muscles.Someone had told him this worked well or even better than some repellent.After frictionning is face neck arms no insect would even bother him.I do not have the name of the product but this had some chinese writing on this little red bottle.This stuff really worked well the only problem you smell like a pharmacy icon_biggrin.gif

It smells like some kind of bengay

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest 300mag

Alternative:I also have used different insect repellent.One day trout fishing one of my buddies took out a rubbing compound (liquid) for sore muscles.Someone had told him this worked well or even better than some repellent.After frictionning is face neck arms no insect would even bother him.I do not have the name of the product but this had some chinese writing on this little red bottle.This stuff really worked well the only problem you smell like a pharmacy icon_biggrin.gif

It smells like some kind of bengay

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest Mike_Teague

DEET works wonderfully, it's all I use (100% DEET pump-spray), I just would warn everyone to be careful, it does attack certain plastics rather agressively....

I always apply it to the backs of my hands (never to my palms) to spread it around...

One time I got some on my palms, and melted my fingerprints into a cheap transistor radio icon_smile.gif

I have not tested it on a GPS screen or case, so ... just keep that in mind..

Guest Mike_Teague

DEET works wonderfully, it's all I use (100% DEET pump-spray), I just would warn everyone to be careful, it does attack certain plastics rather agressively....

I always apply it to the backs of my hands (never to my palms) to spread it around...

One time I got some on my palms, and melted my fingerprints into a cheap transistor radio icon_smile.gif

I have not tested it on a GPS screen or case, so ... just keep that in mind..

Guest bsyris

I've used Avon's Skin-so-Soft with a lot of success, even though it's not meant to repel bugs. I think that they offer an enhanced version specially for bugs, too.

Advantages: There's nothing to worry about in it(as far as I know), and it smells ok.

Disadvantage: You have to wear something called Skin-So-Soft by Avon.

Guest 300mag

quote:
Originally posted by GuyMcBeerdrinker:

300mag, I think you are refering to Tiger Balm. I'm going to have to try that out.

No Guy i know what is tiger balm this stuff is like a paste.It might work too.But this other stuff was a liquid.Let me know if the tiger balm works icon_wink.gif

GMcB

Guest 300mag

quote:
Originally posted by GuyMcBeerdrinker:

300mag, I think you are refering to Tiger Balm. I'm going to have to try that out.

No Guy i know what is tiger balm this stuff is like a paste.It might work too.But this other stuff was a liquid.Let me know if the tiger balm works icon_wink.gif

GMcB