I need a canoe

Big W

Hey cacher,

Go into a a local autotrader/yankeetrader type website look with www.dogpile.com and pull up boats for sale, you will find one..OR drive to oldtown ME lol i know its a long ride..

I also strongly seggest Old Town I have had My 12ft hunter for 13 years now and can beat it- 35 pounds and great size for one person.. If there is 2 of you look for a 14 of 16 foot boat..it more stabble..

If your really aventurous look up stich and glue boat making.. you can make your own right out of ply wood and they look awesome...

Found the cache but where is that damm GPS?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

If you have the time and the tools you could build one out of wood strips. It is cheaper to build one than to buy a fiberglass or plastic one, and when finished they are worth more. This is if you don't consider money value of your time.

There are a lot of wood strip kayak and canoe builders out there. Below is a picture of one of my kayaks.

36800_300.jpg

Here is a link to the ultimate in wood strip canoes. http://www.woodsongcanoes.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

And how talented do you have to be to build it?

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

Really, fill me in too Fro! My dad used to build his own race boats back when he was young and single and could own toys icon_smile.gif He still owns the same custom cabinet business, so I'm guessing I would be better set up then most to try this?? I have a canoe already, but a kayak would be nice, not to mention maybe one of them father son projects we rarely did when i was a kid icon_smile.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I have two Old Town Discovery 174's. One red, and one green. The red is in almost new condition.

I've been meaning to sell one of them... likely the red one, but I haven't gone through the effort.

If you are genuinely interested, email me (or I don't mind discussing it publicly, either) and we can exchange ideas.

Jamie

If you're just looking for something small & lightweight, check out Cabelas or Bass Pro for what they call a one man Pontoon. About 35-50 pounds with oars, would fit in the back of a truck assembled. They have one that breaks down & fits in the car trunk but its a little pricey. I'm thinking of one just to get to a bunch of caches down on the coast.

I've got a 17' canoe for sale but I'm 300 miles away.

Up here Walmart sells them.

Hey Jomarac5, glad you found this thread.

Here's some links:

Guillemot kayaks

Redfish Kayaks

Toquenatch Creek kayaks

One Ocean Kayaks

Building a strip built kayak costs probably around $500-$700 and is not that difficult. Once you build a strongback, cut the forms on the band saw, cut the strips with a table saw, and bead and cove the edges with a router (optional), then most of the rest of it is done with hand tools. Fiberglassing is also required. It's really just a lot of easy steps.

Here's a book that is inexpensive and really outlines the details required in building one. I agree with almost all of the book except I don't use staples, and I put on the coaming (the thing the spray skirt attaches to) after fiberglassing the deck. Other than that, the book is really informative.

If you're considering building one, drag your hide on over to this forum and ask away with your questions. There are many knowledgable people there willing to answer your questions.

Guillemot builders forum

[This message was edited by 3fros on March 10, 2003 at 11:11 PM.]

How about a three person canoe? I"ve seen a lot of two person canoes but there are three of us... me and two kids, ages 9 and 11. Not quite ready for a boat of their own, so they need to stay in one with me.

Just wondering what my options are.

Thanks.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

You can easily put one kid in the middle of nearly any canoe.

If you're looking for a triple kayak, there is such a thing -- visit the http://www.pygmyboats.com and you'll see that they have a triple kayak (same hull as the double with three cockpits). They also have a very nice canoe kit as well.

http://www.pygmyboats.com/images/Triplepro1.JPG

Yeah, true enough, but I was hoping to find something already built for three, or, a canoe with a third seat in the middle perhaps. Actually, a kayak for three would be an ideal solution, but I'm just not into building my own. No tools, no facilities, no time... I sure appreciate the link though, those are really nice boats.

Oh well, I'll keep looking.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Breaktrack,

I'm not aware of any 3 cockpit kayak that is commercially available other than in kit form. With respect to facilities to build -- I gave a few bucks each month to a neighbour for letting me build it in his garage.

The amount of tools required are minimal. You can pretty much pick up all the tools you need for less than a couple hundred dollars (less if you check swap meets, etc).

Criminal,

My double cost a total of about $2,200 (in Canadian dollars -- that's about $1,450 US) for the kit and additional materials. A strip built kayak like 3fros will cost considerably less but you need more tools and will take a fair bit more time to build.

The cost to buy a new fiberglass double kayak is in the ballpark of $5,500 Cdn ($3,700 US). Add another $800 or so in Cdn dollars for kevlar. The wooden kayak has structural strength comparable to kevlar and weighs about 30 percent less than fiberglass.

-----

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Hey, what's the price for the enlisted folks?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Hey Criminal, if you're still associated with the military you can rent such things at a lot of the military recreation areas for a pittance. I hadn't thought of that till you asked about the enlisted prices, it jogged my memory. The kids and I rent a boat whenever we to to the recreation area in Destin, Florida (for Fort Bragg I believe). I live between Fort Polk and Fort Hood so I have more resources than I thought of initially.

Actually I miss the days when I was enlisted, I paid less for such things...LOL. The trials and tribulations of being an officer....sigh. LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Breaktrack,

I'm not aware of any 3 cockpit kayak that is commercially available other than in kit form. With respect to facilities to build -- I gave a few bucks each month to a neighbour for letting me build it in his garage.

The amount of tools required are minimal. You can pretty much pick up all the tools you need for less than a couple hundred dollars (less if you check swap meets, etc).

-----

Looks like I might have to just jump in and build one somehow. Sure wouldn't hurt me to have a neat project like that anyway, this single dad thing can definitely stunt your activity level, lol.

With your encouragement I'll give it some serious thought and research and let you know what I wind up doing.

Thanks.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Breaktrack wrote:

Looks like I might have to just jump in and build one somehow. Sure wouldn't hurt me to have a neat project like that anyway, this single dad thing can definitely stunt your activity level, lol.

With your encouragement I'll give it some serious thought and research and let you know what I wind up doing.

It's not nearly as difficult as one might think to build a kayak -- and it's a lot of fun. If you'd like to hear about my building experience, send me an e-mail.

-----

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

How much does the small porta-bote cost?

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Wow! I decided to look into this, and it's a bit weird how hard it is to actually find out without giving them alot of personal info! I don't really care for that type of marketing, "lemme tell you how great my product is for a few hours, THEN I'll give you the price". Anyway, I did find a few reviews, used ones etc for sale on the net. It looks like they start around $1200 new, and go up from there. The way it's marketed though would keep me from ever seriously considering one, I don't do business with companies that do business like that.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Don't buy one when you can borrow one. I don't have a canoe because my nieghbors have one and I have a deal with them. I don't drag on about Geocaching and they let me borroaw the canoe. Actually I help them with all sorts of this around their homes and yards and I borrow the canoe. OLD TOWNS ARE NICE!

Happy. Hunting. burnout.gif