Does Caching Ever Cause Conflicts Between You And Your Spouse?

Broncoholics

My wife flipped when I wanted to go on a cache today. Hee hee! The newly placed cache is only four miles from my home and she still didn't like the idea of me going. She tried to explain to me that family members (mother-n-law) are coming over and they would like to see me.

I eventually came to reason with her, but I let her know I would rather be CACHING LOL

I was just wondering if any other members get into conflicts with their loved one's over geocaching?

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

quote:
I hate to Markwell you so soon,

butthis came out this morning,

Well, this thread is not about caching on holidays, it is to find out if there are any geocachers out there that have had a spiff with their spouse about geocaching ALL THE TIME! It was not just based on holidays but EVERY SINGLE DAY!! It just so happens that it fell on today, of all days. I just broke the camel's back when I tried to go today.

We bicker alot about my being on the computer all the time too. I like to read the forums everyday, which means Candie doesn't get to use the PC! Hee hee!

So, I know there are others out there that go through the same thing and I was just curious how many of you out there have heard a blast of chit like I have!

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

...I am fortunate enough to have a wife who not only tolerates caching, but is as crazy about it as I am - we've made a deal - we will never go caching alone - we'll always do it together - which means that most every week-end (unless one of us is sick, like I was two week-ends ago) we spend a good part of one day caching, and every now and then we get a cache in the middle of the week. Every cache, we have found together.

My wife wanted to take more walks, get outside more, and I was/am a homebody. Caching got me outside, and is something that gives her a lot of what she wants - I am not exaggerating when I say that our marriage is actually better off because of Geocaching.

I hear you guys... Trudy is just as avid a cacher as the beast. While she was busy in the kitchen this morning, I suggested that I should go out and do a couple of caches to get out of her way... She responded with we are not going caching today. A little later I tried with the approach that I go pick up the grandchildren and take them out for a little caching before dinner. She responded with you are not going caching today. Oh well, there is tomorrow, and Saturday and Sunday. Arn't long weekends great?

Happy Thanksgiving All.

the beast icon_wink.gif

no never, I leave a note stuck to the TV that says I'm out with my GPS. Or else I tell him where I'm going. Especially if I go alone, in case I don't show up back at home. Or else he'll go with me, he likes the really long strenuous hikes. I really don't have to ask to go anywhere and neither does he, as long as we know where we are, we're fine. I can take off for days at a time no problem, so can he. He likes winter camping, I like salmon trips.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

Here is a Geocaching updated version of an old joke (used to be 2 golfers on a golf course).

Two people were out Geocaching one afternoon, looking to be 'first to find' on a new cache, and they were at the top of a ridge that looked down on the city. Below, on a road near the bottom of the ridge, they could see a long funeral procession snake its way down the road. One of the cachers turned off her GPSr, and bowed her head, and gave a moment of silence in honor of the procession below.

The other cacher looked at her, and said "Wow! I had no idea you had such empathy - such concern! I'm honored to be with you." The first cacher, after turning back on her GPSr to watch it start acquiring a lock on the satellites, said "Well, after all, it's the least I could do for my husband."

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

I was just wondering if any other members get into conflicts with their loved one's over geocaching?

Just today, my husband and I got into a 'discussion' of whether we'll take time out for one or two 'stretch our legs and get some fresh air' icon_wink.gif breaks during our 16 hour drive to Alabama for Christmas.

Very occasionally, I can talk him into going caching with me, but it ends up costing me a lot of brownie points. He continually gives me flack about how many wasteful miles I put on my truck in pursuit of silly treasures.

I envy those couples who share their addiction for this sport.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Yesterday i told my wife that i might take off to Houston after work to find a cache. No conflict but i could see her disappointment, being that she loves caching as much as i do. Of course im very happy that she loves doing it too so i waited until she got home then we took off for dinner and night caching!

We're a conflict couple. He goes with me to monitor my safety, but he'd rather be home watching football or a movie. I don't want to go by myself, but when I do I'm able to spend more time reading logbooks or taking pictures. The minute we get to (hell, the minute we start looking for) the cache/benchmark he's ready to go. I'm not complaining, well yes I am, but not too much. I just wish he shared my enthusiasm for caching - mostly he thinks I'm nuts. Refers to those days that he takes me hunting as his 'slave days.' Guess I've got him whipped icon_razz.gif

Santa, put some coal in his stocking!

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

Joani is just as avid, or maybe more so, that I am. This was our thanksgiving:

Wake up early, get on the trail at eight an finish a multi-cache that we've been working on for a while.

Go out for a late lunch and eat way too much. Decide that Thanksgiving can wait as there is still daylight for geocaching.

Joani wants to clear the last not found from our 100 closest cache list. We go out, knowing that it is a tough find from the logs. We spend over an hour looking and burn pretty much all of the daylight.

On the way out, we place a cache so that others that don't find the one we were looking for, at least can find ours.

Go have desert over at my brothers. I know, we didn't have dinner yet. Not a problem.

I make a late dinner around 8:30PM. Not our complete traditional, as nobody was really hungry, but we are thankful for what we have.

10:00PM - Joani asked me to plan for some caching tomorrow in some park. I know just the place, a park with six caches in it. That should keep us busy until lunch.

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I would like to set the record straight...at least my record. I do love to cache, but BP is right. Family and responsibilities come first.

What I like best of all is making up our cache pages. That is what I get into, and an occasional post to the forums here and there. So I guess you can say that we each have our "job" to do.

It just gets so irritating when Duane comes home from work and I am sitting there talking about my day. I look over and his eyeballs are huge and reading the forums. Think he heard anything I said? Not! Hmmmm, I know! I think I'll mark the spot with the gps where I stand. Think he'll find me then? LMAO

Hey, that gives me an idea....

Hee hee!

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

My wife joined me in more than a dozen hunts before. She is not as addicted as I am so I go caching more often. Geocaching rarely is a cause of our arguments but is does come up and I get suspected of fooling around when in fact I'm knee-deep in brush or cactus or scrambling on a rocky ledge struggling to reach a tupperware container.

Have GPS, Will Travel.

It used to be bad when I'd try to go during the day, etc.. So then I switched to caching mostly at night. But now she worries that I'll run into some serial killer with a machette out there in the wilderness, or a bear or something.

You just can't win..

I go with a buddy now though, which makes her feel a bit better...

647055_200.jpg

Bat-cacher and Slorg at the Dark Forest cache

"Software isn't released, it's allowed to escape."

My experience is similar. My husband introduced me to the game but he's lost interest and I love it. He'll go out with me for protection but he'd rather be watching a movie. We have some nice times when we cache together, just wish we'd go out more often. I've started going out on my own and he's been pretty good about not worrying. I use this geo-handle for when I cache alone (Lone-R). Too bad I don't live in Tennessee or I'd suggest we cache together - it's more fun to cache with someone who's enthusiasm equals your own.

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

We're a conflict couple. He goes with me to monitor my safety, but he'd rather be home watching football or a movie. I don't want to go by myself, but when I do I'm able to spend more time reading logbooks or taking pictures. The minute we get to (hell, the minute we start looking for) the cache/benchmark he's ready to go. I'm not complaining, well yes I am, but not too much. I just wish he shared my enthusiasm for caching - mostly he thinks I'm nuts. Refers to those days that he takes me hunting as his 'slave days.' Guess I've got him whipped icon_razz.gif

Santa, put some coal in his stocking!

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

My wife tries to indulge me, but ther are times when my obssesion can lead to fights. She cannot stand the thought that our vacations should center around geocaching, so I have to slip them into our walks on the sly, "Oh look! There just happens to be a cache along our hiking route!". I just have to keep it to a minimum now that we are on Holiday and wait till she offers to help me get one of my caches before I whip out all my pre-prepared cheat sheets and maps. After a week spent indulging her preferences, seeing family and all that other non-geocaching nonsense, she now feels she owes me and we can slip a few more in. The real mad cache hunting binges will have to wait till I am out on my own and she can only shake her head over my ripped clothes, scratched hands and exhausted body after I drag myself home after a ten hour cache hunt.

The only time my wife gets upset is when she has other commitments that stop us from going together. Other than that we try and go together as much as possible. In fact I decided today (while caching) that I wouldn't find the other caches (in the area I was caching) so she could join me this week.

I'm obsessive compulsive. But I'm not going to do anything that would intentionally upset her.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

I have a theory about women and caching. Caching seems to fit into the traditional gathering part of the Hunter/Gatherer nature of Humans. The female traditionaly was responsible for finding the acorns, grasses, water sources or whatever while the men went in search of less stationary quarry like wolly mammoths. Women are therefore better suited to caching than men. Why else would a woman afraid of a spider in the shower plunge headlong into a Florida swamp, GPS in hand, totally oblivious to her safety or mine for that matter, in search of a tupperware full of junk?

By the way she wasn't home when I woke up from my nap and my GPS is missing. Did I say my GPS? Hmmmm

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens:

Why else would a woman afraid of a spider in the shower plunge headlong into a Florida swamp, GPS in hand, totally oblivious to her safety or mine for that matter, in search of a tupperware full of junk?

The scent of Tupperware is a powerful lure for some women. The woman in your life seems to be such a person. Try putting a little snippet of Tupperware behind your ear, and see if "sparks fly." We're rooting for you. icon_wink.gif

What is this thing, some kind of cult!???? He's gotten so weird! I can't take these cache things anymore. I NEVER see my kids on weekends, ever! I think his new best friends have the strangest names! I guess I should expect at least two more at Christmas dinner! In order to make up the place cards, how DO you spell Stay FLOOPPEE and BASSOOONNN PILOT & where does BRIAN SNAT play a part?????? I'm so confused!!!! Mrs and Mother Skully and Mulder, et al.

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

It used to be bad when I'd try to go during the day, etc.. So then I switched to caching mostly at night. But now she worries that I'll run into some serial killer with a machette out there in the wilderness, or a bear or something.

You just can't win..

I go with a buddy now though, which makes her feel a bit better...

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/display/647055_200.jpg

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=109794&L=647055

"Software isn't released, it's allowed to escape."

I don't think I'd want to be the one to run into you at night in that outfit! I wouldn't worry if I was her, you'd scare the bears away with that. icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.