Geocacher Run-In

Lime

What do you do when you run into another geocacher while on the hunt (or find that someone has already beaten you to it)? This happened to me the other weekend, followed by an unsuccessful find. Any suggestions? I've thought about it and all I can come up with is to run away, wati awhile, or team up with them. But they each have their drwabacks (Now I will proceed to rant on why, so you can all stop reading here unless you have too much time on your hands):

1. If you run away, you will definately not find the cache. (I mean, come on people, if you were actually wondering about the first one, close out the browser an go take a long walk off a short pier. Really.)

2. If you wait for the other geocacher to finish, then not only does it raise many questions in your mind as to if he messed up the location or not, it also presents the possibility of a stand off. You both wait for the other to finish. Not good. Overall, it just ruins your mental state.

3. Finally, you can team up with the geocacher. But is that really what you want? What if you don't find it? I tell you from experience, it is not gratifying to go on a cache just to have someone else in your party find it. And what if the geocacher turns out to be worse than your in laws? I know I'm being nerotic here, folks, but crap happens!

In conclusion, I'd like to apologise for many grammatical and spelling errors that I can't see though my rage. I'd also like to reminds you that my favorite car is NOT the GTI, but the BMW Z8. Good Night, Germany!

"Not all politicians are annoying, some are dead."

I've only had that happen to me once. I overtook them on the trail in to the cache, realized they had a GPSr and asked them if they were looking for a cache (if they looked blankly at me in response, I was going to give them the web address). Turns out, they were there looking for the cache.

I ASKED THEM whether they wanted to team up or if they wanted to find it on their own. They were new to geocaching and said they'd rather try it on their own. I then told them that I'd run down the road and look for the next one on my list and come back later. Problem solved.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I think Lyra's approach is what I would do.

But having been on my first cache hunt only a few weks ago. I would have greatly appreciated running into an experienced cacher and joined them on th ehunt if they didn't mind. I figure they would have a better chance at finding it than me and I'm sure there are plenty of pointers you could pick up watching someone with experience.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

I suspected geocachers when I heard a couple of folks in the woods ahead of me once, so I sat down and waited for them. After a while, I didn't hear them anymore so I went to look for my cache.

I ran into them as they were opening the container. Turns out they heard me, too, and had become silent.

I was a little disappointed not to find the cache on my own (it was a tough one, too) but they were neat people. There was another cache nearby, and while they went to look for it, I walked back to my car.

Shortly they returned without having found it, so the three of us went to look for it as a team. One of them ended up finding it that time, too.

I just happened to run into them again on yet another hunt several months later. They were already at the cache site when I arrived, but hadn't found it. The three of us looked for about an hour and couldn't find it.

Jamie

The chance of meeting someone on a hike to a cache is pretty slim. More often than not, one of you will already be at the cache and/or one will be leaving when another one is on the way to it... if I come upon someone else already at the cache site, I let them make the decision whether they want me interfering with their hunt. If someone comes up on me, (which has happened at least a couple times) I have no concerns about working together and despite having 400+ finds, still enjoy watching and learning from the way they search. (Unless of course it's Jeepster, then I hope the Mrs is there... otherwise there'd be nothing I could possibly learn! icon_wink.gif ). I've never encountered anyone when we were both heading to the cache site, but would just discuss it with the individual and see what (s)he thought. My preference would be to work together.

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

The chance of meeting someone on a hike to a cache is pretty slim. More often than not, one of you will already be at the cache and/or one will be leaving when another one is on the way to it... if I come upon someone else already at the cache site, I let them make the decision whether they want me interfering with their hunt. If someone comes up on me, (which has happened at least a couple times) I have no concerns about working together and despite having 400+ finds, still enjoy watching and learning from the way they search. (Unless of course it's Jeepster, then I hope the Mrs is there... otherwise there'd be nothing I could possibly learn! icon_wink.gif ). I've never encountered anyone when we were both heading to the cache site, but would just discuss it with the individual and see what (s)he thought. My preference would be to work together.

I live at the foot of a mountian upon which there is a cache. I take my ATV up there often to "look over my domain". My normal parking spot is about 15 feet from the cache.

I have run into geocachers there 3 times. The first two they had finished trading before I arrived, but I did end up talking to both parties for a few minutes. And although geocaching was never mentioned, after reading the cache logs, I knew it was them.

The third time, a father and teenage son came up while I was parked talking to some other ATVers that happened to be up there. The father was running around with a metal detector looking for treasure, while the son had a GPS in hand, wandering about like a chicken with his head cut off, all the while following the needle on his GPS. Once he located the cache, he picked it up high in the air saying "I found it, I found it!"

I wanted to go restrain him then, but with other ATVers up there I waited until they left, then approached them and suggested he be a little more discreet next time. Also pointed to the bluff I my cache was near and showed them a few old foundations to do some metal detecting around.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Ive came up on 2 different Cachers on 2 different caches while they were logging their finds in the logbook. Both of them were great experiences. Matter of fact, the first just invited us to their GeoCaching Event in Louisiana. Would have never known if we hadnt met on that day.

As far as meeting someone on the trail before finding the cache,, if you feel like teaming up, just ask. If they dont want to then you can leave and come back or if you're dead set on finding it then, you can have a friendly competition and try to beat them to the cache,,,,

quote:

In conclusion, I'd like to apologise for many grammatical and spelling errors that I can't see though my rage.

"Not all politicians are annoying, some are dead."

Rage? What the ...? Rage about what, other cachers on your planet? Get over it.

I've had the pleasure of meeting up with others on occasion. I ran into one couple three times on an especially beautiful October afternoon. And I'll never forget meeting Glider1 at "The Poet's Spire to Music" cache. Then there was the cherubic five year old with her grandparents. She was skipping her way back to the cache while I was walking in. When she saw my GPS she lit up and sang out, "We found it!"

My take is that most Geocachers are good, interesting people, if you have the good fortune to meet up with one on the way to a cache, take a little time to get to know them. If meeting up with others seeking a cache upsets you that much, maybe you should seek another hobby/activity.

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

Hehe... I ran into Nubi right after he picked up his microcache... He was at a cache I had just found, (I was a few yards away taking a break)

He let me check out his micro and told me to log it(I forgot and was never able to find it again...) Gave him a ride back to his car...

I don't think i would ever run and hide if I came across another (unlikely since I usualy go out on Mondays) It's too much fun meeting other people...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

I would assess their response to my presence. If I say hi and they look at me like I have 3 eyes and a tail, I'd back off. If they seem friendly, I'd ask them if they minded if I joined in the hunt.

I've only met another Geocacher (actually a family) actively hunting a cache once. Because our GPS' were pointing to different areas, we were searching in slightly different spots. Neither of us found it.

As far as waiting, I know it can sometimes take an hour or more to find a cache. If the wait gets too long, I'd join in no matter what they thought of my presence. I figure I have as much right to look for the cache as they do.

...so I *can* be seen by others. Several times I have run into other cachers (once at a very remote location) and the hat has been recognized.

The last time I encountered someone who recognized my hat was when both of us were about a quarter mile from the cache location. We sat and talked for about an hour about everything from 9/11 to comparing his GPS V to my Vista. We eventually hit upon the idea of takng a final GPSr reading (bearing and distance), turning-off our GPSrs and using only our compasses and a shared USGS topo to find the cache. After a considerable amount of time and much bushwhacking, we arrived at the cache. When it was time to leave, we shook hands and parted ways having approached the area from slightly different directions.

Two weeks later, while shopping for a TV (while wearing my geocaching hat!), a salesperson quitely approached me from behind. All I heard was: "Need your Vista to find the right TV?" Turns out my cache partner was the manager of the store. I eventually walked out of the store with a smile on my face from the chance (re)meeting of this guy and a new TV (purchased at his cost!) in my arms.

Had I originally "turned and run" while finding the cache, I would not have had the pleasure of meeting this incrediblly kind, interesting and generous person.

Speck -- If you're reading this I can't thank you enough!

FWIW,

BP

My daughter and I ran into RCharlier and his brother on a hunt. We were already at the cache site (looking but not finding) when I saw them leave the trail and make their way into the woods at the same place we had. I said "Hello" and got one back, so I followed with a "what are you guys looking for?" Their response, "Uuuh, berries?" icon_wink.gif

We ended up teaming up. Good thing too. They had way more finds under their belt then we did and we ended up learning something about how to hunt. Also, this was the first time I had ever talked to any geocacher anywhere besides online.

If everyone is agreeable to it, teaming up seems to me to be the thing to do. You've increased your odds of finding the cache and you get to spend a little time with someone else who may be a bit more obsessed than you!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

My daughter and I ran into RCharlier and his brother on a hunt. We were already at the cache site (looking but not finding) when I saw them leave the trail and make their way into the woods at the same place we had. I said "Hello" and got one back, so I followed with a "what are you guys looking for?" Their response, "Uuuh, berries?" icon_wink.gif

We ended up teaming up. Good thing too. They had way more finds under their belt then we did and we ended up learning something about how to hunt. Also, this was the first time I had ever talked to any geocacher anywhere besides online.

If everyone is agreeable to it, teaming up seems to me to be the thing to do. You've increased your odds of finding the cache and you get to spend a little time with someone else who may be a bit more obsessed than you!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

If I'm in a group, the agreed preference is that if any of us spot the cache, the finder is to move off a ways, and make a couple of turns stopping off here and there as you move off(pretending to continue searching).

Then after a bit, you proclaim 'I found it!' We then let each person try to find it, until everyone has finally spotted it. Original first finder of the group opens the cache and logs first.

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in that sitch.

I've run into many a cacher but the oddest was when I had found a particularly hard cache that had many people scratching their heads. It was like my 5 trip out there and I had found the thing and was standing over it taking this picture:

306384_200.jpg

When I saw another guy coming towards me with a GPS. I told him that I had found it and did he want me to step away from it so he could go through the motions but it was too late by then. So we took a group pic. I ran into one other cacher on this same cache earlier but that was wierd because it was 2:00am and I had a flashlight and he had a headlamp AND we were both OFF by quite a bit.

Great cache that was too.

Hidden Treasure by Binthair

That happened to me recently while I was trying to be the "first finder" on a new cache. I beat the guy's shins with a baseball bat and his wife and kids elected to stay with him. By the time he got out of the hospital I had found the cache, rummaged through it and got the good stuff, and logged it on the website. This is serious business. Folks better stay outta the way this weekend while I’m hunting benchmarks.

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

If you team up, agree that if one of you finds the cache, don't say a word and pretend to keep on looking. Move away from where the cache is hidden, then announce that you've found it. Then just sit back and wait for the other person to find it as well.

The first person may have to wait a little more than normal, but you both can feel the accomplishment of finding the cache.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

I go geocaching with my brother at least once a week. On one fairly difficult cache he saw the cache first but would not tell me where it was. He finally offered to tell me but I had to say "I admit defeat." before he would tell me. Since I am rather proud by nature this spurred me on to new effort and I found the cache by myself with out having to humble myself before him. (It turned out, by the way, that when he saw it he purposfully sat down between me and the cache in an effort to block my view.) We actually have a lot of fun doing it this way but I sometimes get so excited about finding the cache that I blurt it out and missout on the fun of watching him wonder around looking for it

This has happend to me once, and I didn't even know it. They were coming down the trail and we were headed up the trail and they noticed us saying "40 feet... 30 feet..." They just passed by us and kept going. Sometime later when I was looking over some logs I noticed one that referenced passing a group of cachers, so they left us alone to find it then came back a little later. I wouldn't have minded teaming up though.

I would team up whenever possible. Yep, just let the other team climb up and down the hill, over rocks and logs, etc... while I try to figure out just exactly where my GPS is pointing. icon_wink.gif

I have teamed up with other cachers a number of times and it never mattered too much who discovered the cache first.

One thing I'd recommend, if you have the time, is not to give up searching until the other team gives up. On one such encounter my team found the cache minutes after the other team thought it was hopeless and left. I'd hate for someone to miss a (free) find like that.

I would team up whenever possible. Yep, just let the other team climb up and down the hill, over rocks and logs, etc... while I try to figure out just exactly where my GPS is pointing. icon_wink.gif

I have teamed up with other cachers a number of times and it never mattered too much who discovered the cache first.

One thing I'd recommend, if you have the time, is not to give up searching until the other team gives up. On one such encounter my team found the cache minutes after the other team thought it was hopeless and left. I'd hate for someone to miss a (free) find like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

If you team up, agree that if one of you finds the cache, don't say a word and pretend to keep on looking. Move away from where the cache is hidden, _then_ announce that you've found it. Then just sit back and wait for the other person to find it as well.

The first person may have to wait a little more than normal, but you both can feel the accomplishment of finding the cache.

- - - - -

Great idea!

Other than a few times after a geocaching meeting, I've only run into a couple geocachers while hunting a caches. We teamed up. Tree cover had us searching for awhile on one. As it was getting dark, he lent me a headlamp and we continued our search in the dark. After he findly found it he let me showed me the area and let me find it. Turns out my it was about 20-30 feet from my target search area. And yes I did log it as a find!

I've run across a couple cachers while checking on ones I've hidden, however.

quote:
Originally posted by Countess2002:

When you _do_ team up, does each party log it as a find? I haven't run into anyone else yet, so it hasn't come up. Just curious.

---------------------------------------------------------------

_"You're no verra sensible, Sassenach, but I like ye fine. Let's go."_

Everybody that finds the cache gets to count it as a find. I love it when cachers gather to find my cache and post their finds. I love their stories!

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

We have met other cachers on the trail about 3 times, I think. It is really fun when that happens! We haven't actually teamed up to find the caches, though, since we usually see them after we have found it, and they are finding it. Most of the cachers in the area are real friendly, and welcome a chance to chat with the other cachers. We hunt in a group (as a family), so it can be somewhat hard to disguise our activity, and depending on where we are, we take the container a ways away, or Papacat stands watch on the trail and lets us know if someone is coming (then we act as if we are just resting, or watching birds, looking at something interesting, etc.....). This whole activity has been such an addition to our family, and I tell others about it, so they can join in on the fun! icon_biggrin.gif

We have met other cachers on the trail about 3 times, I think. It is really fun when that happens! We haven't actually teamed up to find the caches, though, since we usually see them after we have found it, and they are finding it. Most of the cachers in the area are real friendly, and welcome a chance to chat with the other cachers. We hunt in a group (as a family), so it can be somewhat hard to disguise our activity, and depending on where we are, we take the container a ways away, or Papacat stands watch on the trail and lets us know if someone is coming (then we act as if we are just resting, or watching birds, looking at something interesting, etc.....). This whole activity has been such an addition to our family, and I tell others about it, so they can join in on the fun! icon_biggrin.gif

I've read through roughly half of the posts on this thread. Even though most (if not all) of the posts describe my input, I will go ahead and add my share.

It would be greatly inviting to cross paths with another geocacher. My description lies upon meeting after he/she/them was coming back from a find and encountering me, or vice versa.

Geocaching is a kind of obsession for me. I think of days in the future where old timers are sitting on an old bus seat in the parking lot of an old deserted gas station, recalling the "good old days". Hopefully this sport, game, addiction, whatever it is called will last as long. And in same fashion to be brought up in casual conversation.

I was introduced to geocaching from my brother in late March 2002. From then, I took my own path and encountered many great finds since then.

Here in the heart of the Appalachian Montains in Southwest Virginia, the scenery accompanies the people. The folks are as welcome as the area. This is how I became so involved in geocaching.

I did not even know these people hiding these "treasures". All I did know, was the fact that I wanted to go find them. After several finds, then I wanted to hide one myself. The process goes on and on (check with any geocacher, and I will guarantee the same results were noticed there, too). This is what makes geocaching so unique. Same and different people sharing same and different qualities. Thus, adding an extra twist to the way people interact with each other using a GPS unit, excellent terrain and scenic beauties, superior communication skills using log books and especially the forum posts!!! icon_smile.gif Need I say more?

C'mon, you all!! You know where your time is spent!!! I know I DO! If it's not hiding, it's finding or on the forums. Man! Geocaching needs to be justified as it so much deserves!!!

I've wanted to go charter since the beginning, but they don't accept checks icon_smile.gifThat's o.k. Jeremy, I'm swiping someone's credit card as I am signing off. Later.....Opey One

I've read through roughly half of the posts on this thread. Even though most (if not all) of the posts describe my input, I will go ahead and add my share.

It would be greatly inviting to cross paths with another geocacher. My description lies upon meeting after he/she/them was coming back from a find and encountering me, or vice versa.

Geocaching is a kind of obsession for me. I think of days in the future where old timers are sitting on an old bus seat in the parking lot of an old deserted gas station, recalling the "good old days". Hopefully this sport, game, addiction, whatever it is called will last as long. And in same fashion to be brought up in casual conversation.

I was introduced to geocaching from my brother in late March 2002. From then, I took my own path and encountered many great finds since then.

Here in the heart of the Appalachian Montains in Southwest Virginia, the scenery accompanies the people. The folks are as welcome as the area. This is how I became so involved in geocaching.

I did not even know these people hiding these "treasures". All I did know, was the fact that I wanted to go find them. After several finds, then I wanted to hide one myself. The process goes on and on (check with any geocacher, and I will guarantee the same results were noticed there, too). This is what makes geocaching so unique. Same and different people sharing same and different qualities. Thus, adding an extra twist to the way people interact with each other using a GPS unit, excellent terrain and scenic beauties, superior communication skills using log books and especially the forum posts!!! icon_smile.gif Need I say more?

C'mon, you all!! You know where your time is spent!!! I know I DO! If it's not hiding, it's finding or on the forums. Man! Geocaching needs to be justified as it so much deserves!!!

I've wanted to go charter since the beginning, but they don't accept checks icon_smile.gifThat's o.k. Jeremy, I'm swiping someone's credit card as I am signing off. Later.....Opey One

A number of my friends geocache. We have often gone out together. One cacher likes the, you take "point" on this one and I'll take it on the next one. Not a bad way to go if you have 2 or three your doing for an afternoon.

The times I've had the most fun personally, is when its like a easter egg hunt. You and 3 or 4 other cachers w/ GPSr's, along with your kids and wives, charge off to find the cache like a bunch of hounds on a fox hunt. WHOOO HOOOO that gets the juice's flowing. Competitive instinct? Maby so, but its a rush. Adds a whole new aspect to the game!

As I was approaching withing 100 feet of a cache, I heard some people talking. One of them said "coordinates" and then I knew. It was pretty cool. I was thinking, "Wow! Other people really do this too!" At first I didn't know what I should do. I kinda hung back for awhile pretending I was looking for something. I didn't want to interrupt them. Then I just decided to walk up there and see what happens. As I was approaching them, they all kinda looked at me, so I said, "Did ya'll find the cache?" and then we started talking. I kinda saw in my peripheral vision where the cache was, but at the same time I didn't want to know so I could find it myself. Well, they rehid the cache so I could "find" it as they walked off to hunt another cache in the same park.

It was pretty cool meeting other geocachers out on a hunt, and I hope to meet some more. One thing I always think about is what if someone approaches me when I'm checking out a cache? Just seems like no matter who it is, it would be weird to know that someone is seeing you searching through some box in the middle of the woods.

quote:
It was pretty cool meeting other geocachers out on a hunt, and I hope to meet some more. One thing I always think about is what if someone approaches me when I'm checking out a cache? Just seems like no matter who it is, it would be weird to know that someone is seeing you searching through some box in the middle of the woods.

LOL i've been paranoid of that too, oddly enough. but its not like we are doing anything illegal. I usually try to face the trail, and/or the direction I came to be sure if someones coming.

- - - rain theory - - -