Farthest from Coordinates.

I've only been cachine about a month and ahalf and when I started I expected caches to be within 10-15 ft of where the gps lead me. As the cache numbers increased I've increased my search areas and come to a greater understanding of how far off I can be, even with good satalite reception.

What I want to know is...

What's the furthest you've found the cache from the coordinates given. This does not include offset caches?

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

How do you find a cache over 300 ft away? And what kept you looking when you were over 300 ft away?

Persistence, my friend. Or maybe it was stubbornness. Probably a bit of stupidity thrown into the mix, as well. At the time I did that one, there weren't even any clues.

I found another one that was approximately 900 feet off. I was familiar with the area, and when I plotted the coordinates on a map prior to leaving home it was obvious that the coordinates were useless, so I just went and searched the area I thought it should be in, and found it.

The greatest discrepacy I encountered was this cache. It was around 200 feet from it's posted coordinates and I found it on my second attempt. I knew it was an ammo can so I just kept expanding my search. I figured I'd allow another hour and if I didn't find it I'd give up and assume it was missing. The cache owner eventually found his mistake.

I've found a couple of others that were 35 to 50 feet off and felt that the posted coordinates were in error since others had the same problems.

Persistance can sometimes pay off. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

How do you find a cache over 300 ft away? And what kept you looking when you were over 300 ft away?

People don't give up if the cache isn't found in ten minutes. I hope anyone who removes a cache to "save the enviroment" can see how this will cause more harm.

I've been lucky I guess, the furthest cache off coordinates was only about 75ft. There have been times where I've been looking for 90 minutes before finally finding it. I don't like going home a failure (for certain values of failure) and I feel it's my responsibility to be absolutely sure that when I post a "not found" that the owner can take my word that I looked very hard. If I looked for 90 minutes but it became dark before looking in all the spots, I might post an "other" with a note that says I'm having trouble finding it. Depending on stars I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

BassoonPilot...you never cease to amaze me.

icon_redface.gif Don't be amazed . . . the description said it was in a crevasse, while the coordinates would have placed it between lanes of a nearby highway, so since I was familiar with the crevasse from previous hikes, the longitude was immaterial. From the description, I could also tell it was north of one well-known landmark and south of another a couple of hundred yards away, so I just worked my way north from the first landmark.

Long before I did that search, I had been impressed by the NY geocacher (I believe it was Lucien) who found one over two miles off by the same method . . . his log read something like "your coordinates appear to be somebody's driveway or the library next door, but I thought you meant (such-and-such)park. That's where I found it."

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

BassoonPilot...you never cease to amaze me.

icon_redface.gif Don't be amazed . . . the description said it was in a crevasse, while the coordinates would have placed it between lanes of a nearby highway, so since I was familiar with the crevasse from previous hikes, the longitude was immaterial. From the description, I could also tell it was north of one well-known landmark and south of another a couple of hundred yards away, so I just worked my way north from the first landmark.

Long before I did that search, I had been impressed by the NY geocacher (I believe it was Lucien) who found one over two miles off by the same method . . . his log read something like "your coordinates appear to be somebody's driveway or the library next door, but I thought you meant (such-and-such)park. That's where I found it."