New Geo Hiking Staff

El Diablo

Hey, nice work. They look great. Be weary of all the stuff going on about people selling stuff here. You know the doot bucket and cameras and what else. Anyway, again they look good and good luck.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

That is a pretty neat idea you had there.

I guess it would be a nice thing to sell at Geoevents and so forth. I have to say though that there is no way I would pay more than $15 for that staf. For the price you want to sell it for icon_confused.gif you can get a pretty decent set of aluminum hiking poles from Leki with spring action to protect your joints and these are even variable in size from 50 centimetres to 140cm. Oh, by the way...I have no ties to Leki, but my whife has bought a set and she is totally happy with them. icon_biggrin.gif

But like one of the posts before said, good luck with them Actually I am sure you won't need that cause there is always a market for memorabilia and stuff icon_wink.gif

So Long grinchtv.gif Eagleflyby

Hey.. I hear ya! Now if you are willing to sit down and spend 6 to 10 hours making these staffs...I would be more than wiling to pay you 15.00 for them! Shoot...I'll go as high as 30.00 each! Just let me know how many you can send me

In all seriousness folks... the aluminum sticks are great...but they will not stand up to the test of a wood staff.

These staffs, like I said take from 6 to 10 hours to make. They are custom made to your order and will perform as good or better than any alumnimum stick you can buy...and for the same price.

I appreciate the comments so far...I'm very critical of my work...It is very nice to see other people like them.

I have made these for friends for a while now and they have given very good feed back!

I make these staffs more for joy than profit. I love working with my hands...seemed such a perfect marriage!

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

I have looked at staves a bit and always liked the idea of something that can shrink to a small size and that would be important to me. I agree that your staves will out last any aluminum staff out there. The custom thing is cool too. What type of wood do you use for those?

______________________________________________________________________________________

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I have looked at staves a bit and always liked the idea of something that can shrink to a small size and that would be important to me. I agree that your staves will out last any aluminum staff out there. The custom thing is cool too. What type of wood do you use for those?

I use a varity of wood...Poplar being my favorite...since it dries straight and very light weight, but at the same time sturdy.

El Diablo

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

There's the issue of using the geocaching logo and making money with it, which is why there was the whole thread on making a logo for the rest of us, so you might end up having to give Jeremy a portion of the profits. I would use the other logo if I were you. The one you are using is trademarked.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

I have permission to use the logo. If you visit my web site you will see this. Also a portion of the sales goes to Groundspeak.

El Diablo

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I have permission to use the logo. If you visit my web site you will see this. Also a portion of the sales goes to Groundspeak.

El Diablo

Yes I realized that almost immediately when I looked at your site again and edited my post. A million apologies for being too haste. You are so good to have obtained permission and your walking sticks are very nice.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

I am happy to say that I own one of El Diablo's great hiking staffs! I have had it since August and love it. It's nice and lightweight, but also sturdy and durable. I would say that the asking price for his staffs is more that fair considering that you will not find an aluminum hiking stick with the same amount of craftmanship or with the personal touches that he puts into them. No they are not collapsible, but I would much rather ward off varmits with a solid wood hiking stick than with a flimsy metal one. Congrats, El Diablo and good luck on your new venture!

quote:

Let me know what you think...http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

I will accept the first 50 orders...the first 25 by Christmas

El Diablo.

Wow, really neat. Except for the price. I was looking at a walking stick that is also a ham radio antenna. Just connect the coax to the walking stick handle, and hold it up to talk. It cost $49.00. so I passed it by. Got a wooden stick, hand carved, at our local zoo for $15.00. No coax connector, but not too expensive either.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

These are quite cool sticks. My son owns one of El Diablo's sticks and loves it. He is in Cub Scouts and his staff is the envy of the pack! To each his own ... Obviously I am of the opinion that we all log onto this site sometimes daily. It has become part of some of our lives. No admin person requires a dime from you. There are over 75,000 active users. Not nearly that many that paid the tiny $30 premium fee. Running this site is NOT FREE. I am personally greatful for the time and efforts of people like Jeremy and Bryan. If I can support the effort of continuing this cool game by buying merchandise here and there, I will try. Things like hiking sticks and cameras are things my family use on each cache hunt. I wish El Diablo the best! Given the time put into making them, I don't think he will be retiring next month off of the proceeds!

MissAngele

My wife gave me this Hiking Stick for my birthday. We've been getting into the deeper and harder caches, and I hope we never have to use the contents, but it is still kinda cool. icon_biggrin.gif

Items inside the staff--

inside_staff.jpg

Items inside detachable pouch

pouch_contents.jpg

Build a water-proof lean-to

Leanto.jpg

Swiss army style knife with 17 implements

knife.jpg

Adjustable shoulder carry strap for tight spots DLMshoulder_carry.jpg

Storage tube inside, hold food or water

DLMstorage_tube.jpg

2 Person blanket inside w/survival instructions DLMblanket.jpg

40+ feet of solid braid rope

rope.jpg

Bandana (use as head covering, compress, sling etc.)

sling.jpg

Build a shelter

Saw.jpg

The survival-first aid instructions

instructions.jpg

Water filter straw

DLMstraw.jpg

Fishing gear

fishing.jpg

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

El Diablo,

Your staff is VERY cool, and awfully tempting. The price stops me, tho. I have a throw-away stick which I found on the side of a trail one day. I've been using that as a staff...

Bear & Ting,

Is that thing like a roadmap, you'll never get it back together once you open it? icon_smile.gif

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Hey El Diablo,

I like the look of your geo-hiking staffs very much. Knowing how much work is involved, I think your price is fair and reasonable.

I was wondering if you've looked at diamond willow for your staffs as an alternative to poplar or as a second choice. Diamond willow grows in such places as northern Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Alberta, etc. I know there's at least one wholesale supplier of the wood in staff sizes. Search for "diamond willow" on line.

My father-in-law made a couple of hiking staffs from Montana DW and they're beautiful.

eagle_fly3_cld_md_wht.gif

I'm out of my mind right now but you can leave a beep after the message.

quote:
Originally posted by Seesthewind and Redwoodmama:

Hey El Diablo,

I like the look of your geo-hiking staffs very much. Knowing how much work is involved, I think your price is fair and reasonable.

I was wondering if you've looked at diamond willow for your staffs as an alternative to poplar or as a second choice. Diamond willow grows in such places as northern Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Alberta, etc. I know there's at least one wholesale supplier of the wood in staff sizes. Search for "diamond willow" on line.

My father-in-law made a couple of hiking staffs from Montana DW and they're beautiful.

http://www.seesthewind.com/images/images_.gif/eagle_fly3_cld_md_wht.gif

_I'm out of my mind right now but you can leave a beep after the message._

Yes I have looked at the Diamond Willow...they are very beautiful!! If I could find them at a decent price I would be interested. Anyone out there that knows where I can get a supply of staffs let me know. I'm willing to pay up to 8.00 a staff for good hard wood. Thanks for the suggestion Seesthewind!

El Diablo

Yes...I've seen his site before while doing research. While the diamond willow is beautiful, they are not as straight as I prefer.

Plus the cost of them puts it way over what I think most would pay after I added my work to them.

I do appreciate the suggestions though...and I'm always open to more. It is the reason I posted here. Keep them coming! icon_smile.gif

El Diablo

I have far too many mulberry trees in my yard. As an annual event, I go rambo on as many of the brown devils as possible, trying to keep them from turning into Omaha's answer to Kudzu. I heard once that the wood from a mulberry makes a pretty good walking stick. Well El Diablo, any truth to that? Could I just cut the little boogers down and build my own?

BTW: I like your staff, its just a little too fancy and a little too pricey for me.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

Not wanting to appear insensitive to 'El Diablo's initiative (nice looking staffs by the way), I hesitated from offering this alternative earlier ...but since it appears that there has been some discussion of 'options', here's what my son and I have been using for the past little while (carrying 1 apiece). So far, these poles have proven to be quite robust despite their lightweight. Also, being able to adjust their length is not only handy while hiking (longer when going downhill, shorter when climbing up), but it makes storage a breeze. If you don't mind the expense, you might want to consider:

57962_3800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

It looks like one entrepreneurial geocacher is already selling similar walking sticks on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1578981781. El Diablo, maybe you might want to try selling a few there as yours appear to be much nicer.

Well actually he's not a geocacher. He got the idea from me when I talked to him about supplying me with unfinished staffs. Strange thing about that...he told me that he cut and cured all these but for some reason the only way he could supply them to me was already lacquered!!! icon_confused.gif

El Diablo

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice stick, but the price doesn't seem to be in keeping with a game where players go to the dollar store for treasures and use recycled pickle jars for cache containers. icon_rolleyes.gif

Which Dollar Store did they buy that 100 to 500 dollar GPS unit? icon_rolleyes.gif

Look I agree that not everyone can afford them...and I'm actually thankful for that. What would I do if say just 10 percent of Geocachers ordered one...that's 7,500 staffs at 6 plus hours each? The orders have been steady enough that I have already had to make a lifestyle change.

I started off making and giving these to local Geocachers for free...it just became too much. I really wish I could make these really cheap so every cacher could get one...but they wouldn't be of this quality and I would go broke. Not to mention having to work 72 hours per day for the next 100 years to produce them!

I just hope that the people that have ordered them, and will order them, enjoy them as much as I enjoyed creating them. icon_smile.gif

El Diablo

but I feel like I need to say this. I live in a very wooded state. You might not think of CT like that but I heard we have more trees per capita than any other state. I pick up a free stick in every park I visit. They are laying around everywhere. Some of them travel around with me for a while, some I leave leaning on the park sign for other hikers and other hikers do this too, and some get tossed back into the woods. Why, just the other day as I was climbing MT Tom to check our cache I ran into and older gentleman coming doen the slippery wet trail and I passed my stick off to him. He was pretty grateful and left it at the picnic table at the bottom, next to 4 others. So if you feel you can't afford a walking stick, you can always make do with the Mother Nature brand.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

quote:

Not to mention having to work 72 hours per day for the next 100 years to produce them!

If you work at it 8 hours a day including weekends and holidays, I figure you would be able to fill all of your orders in a little over 15 years. With weekends off, about 21 and one half years Naturally, like anything else, the more you make, the better you will will get at it, so you may even shave some time off my estimate icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:

Not to mention having to work 72 hours per day for the next 100 years to produce them!

If you work at it 8 hours a day including weekends and holidays, I figure you would be able to fill all of your orders in a little over 15 years. With weekends off, about 21 and one half years Naturally, like anything else, the more you make, the better you will will get at it, so you may even shave some time off my estimate icon_smile.gif

Man I feel better now...what a relief!! icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

icon_eek.gif WOW! Just got my new hiking staff from EL Diablo! SUPER JOB!!! icon_biggrin.gif I will take a picture of it with my Geocaching.com camera and post it soon! There is obviously massive amounts of time and relentless efforts put into this staff! As cool as other staffs are, You will not find another one like this in any catelog. I won't feel so cautious about caching by myself! This thing looks very sturdy! The handle grip on it is outstanding! Very nice design! It was painted with some added features like my "halo" around my name. I am quite impressed and greatfully appreciative! And YES I PAID FOR MINE!!!!! icon_cool.gif This would really be a super Christmas gift if it's not too late to order.

And speaking of Dollar store items, I will have to say for you guys who generalize about cache quality, come visit some of mine! Not all of it came from the dollar store. I spend quite a bit on my cache container and contents. There is always superior quality items in an awesome container that will sustain weather issues. And when we find caches, we always make a practice of exchanging an item of higher quality than what we took out. It is only curtious!

Hey, you should make keychain sizes of these to use for cache prizes or travel bug hitchhikers! icon_wink.gif

FABULOUS JOB ON MY STAFF! CAN'T WAIT TO BREAK IT IN! icon_razz.gif

MissAngele

I have time to do 10 more in time for Christmas.

I saw the pic that Ramblin'wreck was trying to post...very funny!! It showed the staff leaning against an overseas container that would go on a ship. I pack them well...but not that well!

Thanks to all that posted a positive reply...I'm delighted that you liked your staffs. icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

I love the staffs and might have been tempted to go for it had I not requested a staff last year for Christmas that I use only on the tough hikes. But if my significant other actually enjoyed caching I'd be sure to surprise him with one... as he doesn't enjoy caching at all it's a bust there. But I do believe that most caching couples or possibly a couple where the noncacher does the forums thing...sneak in a surprise. They have character!

If you can convince people to by water in a bottle for a dollar I suppose you can convince people to buy a stick. It is seldom that I go trekking and not find a stick that works great for the short time I need it. Besides I can whack things with it, stick it in the mud, use it as a baseball bat to hit pinecones all without worrying about damaging it. The stick I mean. When I get back to the truck I just lean it up against a tree for others to use.

Digressing slightly from the topic, I just grabbed two “transom poles” yesterday. The building I work in is something like a hundred years old. The poles are probably the only things left from when it was built. They were used to unlatch and open the transom windows above the doors. Most of these windows were covered over in the last mod about ten years ago. I was surprised to even find the two I did. I think there may be one more but the room was left locked, so I’ll have to wait for the contractor to come along and open it.

Anyway, they are long oak poles, about eight feet long, with a solid brass hook at the end. I was going to cut them down a bit and use them as hiking staffs, but given the history, I may not.

Opinions?

Pole1.jpg

Digressing slightly from the topic, I just grabbed two “transom poles” yesterday. The building I work in is something like a hundred years old. The poles are probably the only things left from when it was built. They were used to unlatch and open the transom windows above the doors. Most of these windows were covered over in the last mod about ten years ago. I was surprised to even find the two I did. I think there may be one more but the room was left locked, so I’ll have to wait for the contractor to come along and open it.

Anyway, they are long oak poles, about eight feet long, with a solid brass hook at the end. I was going to cut them down a bit and use them as hiking staffs, but given the history, I may not.

Opinions?

Pole1.jpg

quote:

Opinions?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/Pole1.jpg

I haven't seen one of those in 30 years or more! I remember them from grade school when the teacher used them to open the windows on a hot summer day. I know some of you youngins won't believe it...but we didn't have AC back in those days. icon_biggrin.gif

As far as what to do with them...they aren't much use like they are and since you have several, I think I would make one into a hiking staff.

El Diablo

All of this talk about hiking sticks has got me very interested. I've seen high tech aluminum/titanium sticks, raw wooden sticks covered with bark, and everything in between while surfing this forum. Thanks to everyone for all the information. Now....what size stick to get? I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall. Is there a "rule of thumb" for sizing one's hiking stick? What length stick would work for six plus footers? I mainly want a stick for poking around in places I would rather not place my hands; and for fending off critters...four-legged and two-legged. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by ValCor:

All of this talk about hiking sticks has got me very interested. I've seen high tech aluminum/titanium sticks, raw wooden sticks covered with bark, and everything in between while surfing this forum. Thanks to everyone for all the information. Now....what size stick to get? I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall. Is there a "rule of thumb" for sizing one's hiking stick? What length stick would work for six plus footers? I mainly want a stick for poking around in places I would rather not place my hands; and for fending off critters...four-legged and two-legged. Thanks!

Actually the rule of thumb is that your grip should be 6 inches above your elbow. I usually reccomend that you measure from the top of the shoulder down to chose a length...but that is a personal preference.

El Diablo