Forest Service to ban Geocaching

It just seems so unlikey they ban geocaches from our National Forests while clear-cutting is still allowed. We need more specific information on exactly who in the 'Forest Service' is going to enforce such a ban, and exactly what portion of Federal lands would be affected. -WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

Actually I also heard they were going to ban rock climbing in all National Parks also, but that was 10 years ago and nothing ever came of it. This sounds like one of those crazy park rangers getting pissed because they have to work their nine to five in their guard shack and too many people frequent the park so they can't go to a self-serve access. If you ask me, which nobody ever does, I think it is probably one of the best things that have happened to the parks since the whole naturalist movement of the early 20's which lasted more than 50 years. This in my opinion is the best way the parks and forest service have to gaining public interest and awareness in our beautiful parks and recreation areas. icon_eek.gif

Actually I also heard they were going to ban rock climbing in all National Parks also, but that was 10 years ago and nothing ever came of it. This sounds like one of those crazy park rangers getting pissed because they have to work their nine to five in their guard shack and too many people frequent the park so they can't go to a self-serve access. If you ask me, which nobody ever does, I think it is probably one of the best things that have happened to the parks since the whole naturalist movement of the early 20's which lasted more than 50 years. This in my opinion is the best way the parks and forest service have to gaining public interest and awareness in our beautiful parks and recreation areas. icon_eek.gif

We were at Grand Teton National Park to spend the day with a Wildlife Biologist observing animals and helping radio track wolfs. We started out at 5:30 am to see Moose. We easily came upon a moose and were told to look the other way. We than saw radio collared Elk and were told to put down our binoculers (they were about 3/10ths of a mile away) and look the other way. The whole day we were FORBIDDEN to look at the animals. His view (and according to him, shared by many in the park service) was that looking at animals was stressing them. They would not mate or fatten up for the winter if they were stressed. Now I'm talking about being far,far away from any animals, in a car, with spotting scopes or binoculars. We spent hundreds of dollars to introduce our children to the magnificent wildlife and parks of the West, we hired an expert who would be sensitive to the environment and teach important skills to us. We spent 12 hours - NOT LOOKING AT ANY ANIMALS. He even pulled over several times to yell at other park visitors who were looking at the animals (and I'm not talking about the idiots in Yellowstone who see how close they can get). His final statement was that the park service will consider closing the parks to people if breeding starts trending down because the animals may be stressed by having people look at them. I do believe there are extremists like him - but thankfully the park and forest service is a big place!

quote:
Originally posted by Travisty:

Actually I also heard they were going to ban rock climbing in all National Parks also, but that was 10 years ago and nothing ever came of it...

That's not quite true. Climbing is banned in portions of many parks, part, or even all of the year - including spots in Joshua Tree National Park, probably the most popular climbing destination on NPS controlled land.

Certain activities, like bolting (even rap stations) is, by default, banned. A park may have a climbing plan in place that permits bolting or not. The norm would be something like: existing bolts can be replaced, by permit, for safety reasons... (ex. Devil's Tower, which, BTW, has a voluntary climbing ban each June).

My point is that access should not be taken lightly. If the climbing world had not started embracing 'clean' climbing 30 years ago, the sport would almost certainly be banned in many more places today.

That said, I would be really surprised to see a comprehensive NFS ban on caching. A backlash from the NPS makes sense, we are talking about poorly funded, intensely popular places. But the NFS's main goal in life is building roads for "scientific forestry" (clear cutting).

-jjf

I received an email from someone else who recently requested to hide a geocache in their park. The park response was interesting in that a special permit would have to be issued (yet to be determined) but they had no time to approve such a permit (agency paralysis). So basically yes you can place a cache but you need to go through a process that doesn't exist. Have a nice day.

Timber companies have $$ and $$ has influence in policy. Angle ($) a request ($) the right way and your views are better heard.

Sorry but banning is BS unless I hear from an official first. Hearsay don't cut it.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

dosnt public land mean it belongs to WE the public and not them the GOV? icon_confused.gif

We against you arguments are pointless. Don't even bother bringing that point into the argument.

Remove that comment from your signature or I will start moderating your posts.

Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

dosnt public land mean it belongs to WE the public and not them the GOV? icon_confused.gif

We against you arguments are pointless. Don't even bother bringing that point into the argument.

Remove that comment from your signature or I will start moderating your posts.

Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I hear the forest service isn't going to allow anyone to whiz in the woods.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

WHAT? Did you say they wern't gonna allow me in the woods anymore.........WIZONKIZ

p.s. My sisters, neighbors, best friend, who works at the 7-11 heard the Forest Service was gonna' pay geocachers to hide caches in the forest and charge us to hunt for them to replace the loss of the timber industry.

quote:

That's gonna be mighty tough on the animals. icon_frown.gif Alot more stressful than being watched.

rdw

quote:

That's gonna be mighty tough on the animals. icon_frown.gif Alot more stressful than being watched.

rdw

Just spent a weekend with the USFS and they have no mention of any restrictions. If fact the regional director for recreation didn't even know anything about Geocaching. So if I hear anything I will definately post it.

As of now they still are considered abandoned property but the USFS has much more serious problems to deal with now that it is fire season.

icon_wink.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

Just spent a weekend with the USFS and they have no mention of any restrictions. If fact the regional director for recreation didn't even know anything about Geocaching. So if I hear anything I will definately post it.

As of now they still are considered abandoned property but the USFS has much more serious problems to deal with now that it is fire season.

icon_wink.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->