If you've been geocaching for a year or more...

how much do you think it's changed in your time?

I started just about a year ago (I registered on 10/30 and got a GPS a week later) and have loved it ever since.

Obviously the site has changed and some of the rules and regulations have been implemented or modified, but how do you think the R.A.S.H. has changed since you've been at this?

Has it changed for the better or worse or some of both? I think it's overall been for the better. I like the look of the site now a lot more than a few months ago (the new icons are cool). I think making virtuals a thing of the past is good. I do have 2 virtuals and I'll freely admit one is lame but the other has enlightened many cachers.

What are your thoughts on the evolution of geocaching?

I've been caching since December, 2000, closing in on my three-year anniversary.

Geocaching has changed a lot. Most of it's for the better.

In the area where I live, Atlanta, there were very few caches when I started out. There were no "10-cache Saturdays" then ... if you found two caches in a day, it was considered something of a coup! I drove 60+ miles from my house to bag my first cache, and closer to 100 miles for my second.

When I started, there were no "volunteer approvers", at least not of the sort we have today. Jeremy and his pals did everything, which even then must have been quite a workload. Approval guidelines were much more lax because we hadn't encountered many of the problems we have today -- caches were still legal in the National Parks, for example.

The web site was much more primitive than today. If you wanted to hunt a cache, you keyed the coordinates into your GPS by hand and carried the printed sheet with you for hints!

The new political climate, the new rules, the new guidelines, and the new attitude have changed the sport pretty radically, and that has an upside and a downside. On the positive side, more scrutiny over new caches has resulted in fewer incidents that give our sport a black eye. On the other hand, necessary or not, the restrictions do interfere with the fun.

No matter what's going on in the forums, though, and no matter what's happening with the politics, the web site, or the people, it's still fun to grab the backpack and go find a cache. I am not blessed with the copious free time that some have, so my numbers are humble, but I can honestly say I've enjoyed every minute. Except for those #@*(&$ briars at Brer Rabbit, that guy is a SADIST SADIST SADIST! icon_smile.gif

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

The web site was much more primitive than today. If you wanted to hunt a cache, you keyed the coordinates into your GPS by hand and carried the printed sheet with you for hints!

Its funny to me that you call this method "primative." I've been caching since September 01, and this is still how I do it.

icon_smile.gif

Pan

Fact is that there is nothing out there you can't do,

Yeah, even Santa Claus believes in you...

Floyd of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, from "Can You Picture That?"

Yes same, I've used the LOC files, but I keep reinstalling Linux (actually Familiar 0.72 is the official version) onto my Pocket PC, and while I've taken some time to make the data accessible to me there I have not always bothered with it.

Besides Its another thing to carry and possibly loose, I've dropped keys, cell phone, hmm what else have I lost...(memory oh yeah thats it) all while caching because I tend to pick trails that deserve 4 ratings or higher.

Not that I find they stay that way long, but occasionally climbing up that terrain tears the clip holding something off.

I think to answer the primary question, it has as a cacher gotten much better (I'm not going into the other side again....) So as a cacher I've been happy and the local caches are starting to get extremely interesting.

Lots of natural containers beginning to spring up.

The features of the site havn't actually improved the way I cache in any way, although the changes do take some time to adjust to I have noting good or bad to say about the site layout a year + later.

I started caching probably 1.5 to 2 years ago with friends, casual with them as they cached, then september 2002 I had a GPS myself and registered to start doing caches on my own.

Keith

Bear & Ducky

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Its funny to me that you call this method "primative." I've been caching since September 01, and this is still how I do it.

Don't read anything into the word "Primitive" that isn't there. It's just a comparative term. The difference between "cutting edge" and "primitive" might be about 20 minutes in this age of technological development.

The GPX pocket queries I get now are helpful to me because I can carry the entire metro area's caches with me, and decide on a whim to go hit one. I have precious little free time, and this allows me to cache more often by removing the "planning" requirement. icon_smile.gif

There's no reason anyone can't do it the old way, and I have on occasion. To each his own, that's the best part of this sport. Some don't even use a GPS -- now THAT's primitive, and I love it.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

I'll compare this to another passion I had growing up. I worked at the Ren Faire (yes, another geek hobby) for about 15 years. I remember something I heard the first year I started in 1986 just out of high school. Somebody said, "This faire just isn't like it was in the 70's. Man, those were the days. It's too corporate now, and we can't have any fun."

Funny thing is, when I stopped going in about 2000, I heard the same thing. "Man, this faire isn't like it was in the 80's. It's too corporate now. Back in 86, we really had a great time."

I'm sure there are some kids there now waxing poetic about how the 90's were the real fun, but now it sucks.

You can make a conscious choice to enjoy geocaching and this site *today* for what you get out of it, or you can complain that "things aren't the way they were back in 2002, when we really had a great time". Trust me, things will change, and you will look back on *this* year with fond memories. My choice is to enjoy it now.

Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

Some don't even use a GPS -- now THAT's primitive, and I love it.

Funny that, actually on one cache I had an outdated cache page printed out that placed the cache a good 12 kilometers away.

Then my wife reminds me, hey isn't this cache suppose to be within 500 meters or so of the one were doing. The reason that was on her mind was the joking going on in another forum how the two cachers had placed these so darn close to each others spots at the same time for a big multi cacher multi cache (which we participated in) and they both had big zones...of all the spots they picked the smae spot on the border of their zones.

Anyway to make the longer story a bit shorter, the clue for the cache page was extremely accurate.

It said something like "go down the hill and follow the river, when the trail veers up and away your there."

So we did just that and walked right to the cache.

Good for us since we were 100 km from home and didn't want to have to drive home to get updated coordinates.

After I logged the find with comments on the clue the placer updated his clue to be a bit more vague.

I've also done a few virts without the gps turned on....knew the area enough and just enjoyed the walk while recording the information.

Keith

Bear & Ducky

RK has it right. Caching is the same; the RASH is just coming of age. (My guess is only those who were around a year ago will know what RASH means.)

It appears that many new players seem to think that TPTB sit around all day just making up rules. Every rule that I have seen instituted here happened for a reason. National Parks complained, rule went into effect, virtuals got WAY out of hand, rule went into effect, forums got to be less and less about geocaching, mods were brought in. These things didn't just HAPPEN, there were reasons.

The first park official I approached ask what the geocaching rules were. I explained "take something, leave something, sign the log". "Yeah, but what about rules." "Other than that there are none." I got the proverbial "don't let the door hit you on the way out." If SOME rules weren't added, geocaching would have died a quick death as more and more parks banned the sport. I think TPTB have done an excellent job of balancing both sides. Jeremy wants geocaching to be welcomed in parks.

New geocaching websites will run into the same issues that Jeremy has already addressed; there is no avoiding it. I only hope they don't put a bad taste in the mouthes of park officials and kill the sport we all love.

geospotter

A year ago we were debating about having an off-topic forum. Some things stay the same.

A year ago umc was posting 100 times per day. Today he's a forum moderator. Some things change for the better.

A year ago there were less than 10 cache approvers and you didn't read a lot about their work. Today there are nearly 40 cache approvers and it seems like it's all that folks want to discuss. Some things change for the worse.

A year ago you could set up a moving cache, but you can't anymore. Today you can leave a hamster in a geocache, but nobody would have dreamed of doing that a year ago. Innovations come and go.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Caching is pretty much the same. I have seen in the past year a true explosion of variety in the cache containers, hides, puzzles around them, style of the multicaches, etc.

My wife and I have met lots of great friends - most of which I think/hope are the "staying kind" (i.e., even if we stop Geocaching, we'll keep in contact).

We share a common leisure activity when we really didn't have too many of them before.

So, all in all, Geocaching's been great for us!

As to the site? Well, it's run pretty well. I'd do a few things differently (such as publish the database of caches in a series of ZIP files, like IMDB does), but that's not to complain about what's done here.

As to the policy changes, I personally disagree with the degree of clampdown on the virtuals, but then, I am such a trivia nut that spending an afternoon reading every historical marker along the side of a fifty mile stretch of rural highway actually sounds pretty good to me! I get a real pleasure out of learning "80 years ago, the Whatever Company had a flour mill here that processed flour for the adjacent three counties." I like knowing that stuff. But, lots of people don't. (Lots of people think finding tupperware in the woods and film containers in city parks is pretty off the wall, too...) So, I can see how others feel, and I am not threatened by the virtual clampdown, even though I personally would handle it differently.

Overall, I am happier with caching than when I started, and I believe my wife is too.

-Jif

Wow! This just happens to be our one year caching anniversary!

icon_smile.gif

Things for us are pretty much the same. We try not to pay too much attention to forum hubbubs. Our approver has always been fair and impartial. One thing that has changed is the formation of our local group, which has added another "social" element to the game. Also, Hurricane Isabel changed some of the places we can currently go locally to hunt.

Cacheola Crew

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

I'll compare this to another passion I had growing up. I worked at the Ren Faire (yes, another geek hobby) for about 15 years. I remember something I heard the first year I started in 1986 just out of high school. Somebody said, "This faire just isn't like it was in the 70's. Man, those were the days. It's too corporate now, and we can't have any fun."

Funny thing is, when I stopped going in about 2000, I heard the same thing. "Man, this faire isn't like it was in the 80's. It's too corporate now. Back in 86, we really had a great time."

I'm sure there are some kids there now waxing poetic about how the 90's were the real fun, but now it sucks.

The 90's were real fun, but I don't know how it is run now. A remember everyone recalling the days in Agoura and how San Berdoo will never be like that. Wrong climate, arong attitude, wrong location. That's okay, it will always be new and fun to somebody.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

Well, there sure are a LOT more caches to find than when I started - about 4 times as many in CT. The level of civility in the forums has degenerated somewhat, but that's peripheral to caching. Heck, it's even a good excuse to buy a big flashlight, shut off the computer, and do some night caching.

Without exception the cacher's I've met in person have been great people, so I've concluded that the forums just bring out the worst in some folks.

So a year plus later my etrex still goes numb under heavy tree cover, snowfall makes it hard to cache, and I still love this game. Oh, and I have no idea was R.A.S.H. stands for.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I still dont know what RASH is other than what you get from Poison Ivy.

There was a thread quite a while ago (and has been repeated several times) about what to call this "game" we play. Sport? Pastime? Recreational Activity? Hobby?

Some cachers liked the acronym RASH, for Recreational Activity, Sport, Hobby.

The game seems less willing to let people grow it. Locationless caches were the first mistake. It was a mistake to start them and a mistake to keep them, but the biggest mistake was then to drop them cold turkey rather than let the game evolve into something like a GeoTour. Now we are seeing the same kind of rigidity with VC's. Pretty soon, these will be dumped. Again, not to grow the game into a new direction, just to dump them.

We have too many caches in many areas. We seem to see a lot of people place caches and then move on, without evolving the cache or recycling old ones into new games. This will eventually burn us as the good sites for caches will get used up, and the cities will be loaded with old caches that no one uses anymore.

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Now we are seeing the same kind of rigidity with VC's. Pretty soon, these will be dumped. Again, not to grow the game into a new direction, just to dump them.

When I first started, people were willing to give the benefit of a doubt to the admins who pour themselves into running Geocaching.com as well and as responsibly as they can. Now there are far too many people who assume the worst just because they don't get their way.

In a sense, the coming of adversity from the outside necessitated changes that themselves incited adversity from within. Yet, perhaps, the addition of some of the more reasonable voices of dissent has strengthened the geocaching community. As long as the greater geocaching community doesn't let the disillusioned few taint their vision, having dissent may help in the long run.

As for myself, I must say that my style of caching has changed greatly from when I signed up as a neocacher back on May 29, 2001. I can only hope that in the same way my caching style has matured into less of a compulsion and more of a welcome enjoyment, I have also grown from being just another user to become a useful supporter (by assent or dissent, as necessary) of the geocaching community.

(Oh, and of course, CITO was a mere mention in the beginning, but now I'll TO, even if I'm not CIing at the moment. I even picked up trash at a park during lunch the other day, for no reason other than I decided to have lunch there and it needed some picking up.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Geocaching is the same. The politics are coming of age.

I've only been at it since March. That statement is near the center of the target. Which group is the "Green Party?"

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

A big change that I see is with the local groups that have formed. They were around a year ago but more and more are being formed. This is a great thing as I see geocaching becoming more of a community sport than a lone cacher sport. Obviously it works either way but its nice to know who's who personally.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

Geocaching is NOT the same. Quality is down. Quantity is up. Micros are too prevalent. Virtuals are disappearing. TPTB are becoming too commercial.

That said, my first five caches were virtuals, most lame. I wouldn't create them now. Today's icons are infinitely better than last month's yucksters, but closely on par with those a year ago.

I'd prefer more clamping down by approvers and widening the minimum proximity to .25 miles. If a cache says traditional but the description states that it's ''not at the posted coordinates'' then it's not a traditional and should be a puzzle cache. Approvers don't check that at all.

In evolution, the mutations that allow an individual to survive become part of the genetic code of the subsequent generations. Those survival attributes make the population stronger over time. As the environment changes, the species adapts or perishes. Our sport is exhibiting all the characteristics of a healthy, living creature with a future.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoVet:

In evolution, the mutations that allow an individual to survive become part of the genetic code of the subsequent generations. Those survival attributes make the population stronger over time. As the environment changes, the species adapts or perishes. Our sport is exhibiting all the characteristics of a healthy, living creature with a future.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Lets speed this process up! Just point me at the back of the herd so I can pick off a slow member or two. It's hard to tell which end is the back. The loud dissentors who hate what is, or the loud supporters who hate what could be.

I have been around for about two years and the game is still as much fun through evolution has changed the rule and guidelines and I have learned to live with them not against them and still having a blast, but the politics of the forums has changed the most with bull sh1t posters like [NAMES DELETED BY MODERATOR] only to name a few that stir up trouble all the time and make it not a very enjoyable place to read about geocaching. It as much my game as it is there’s. It seems like it’s the same ones over and over again lots of posting with one ten as many cache finds I suppose this is there kind of caches if they can post something and try to get there way and bully someone else in thinking like they do with 30 post a day. There posting numbers should not be higher than your find count and that would stop a lot of the unneeded and unwanted [crap].

They post like they got 2000 cache finds are always trying to change stuff and the way approvers do things . They post in all the threads like they know everything and act like they are the experts on how to play the game better but sit in front of that computer screen instead of caching and complain and complain and offer advise like they know what best and ther opion is the only one. So I am going to purposes a new rule you can’t post more than the cache numbers you have found.

A lot of the posters have archive there cache and put them on another site so they can have there way with no guidelines and how much do you think this is going to help, none only hurt it in the long run.

If they placed caches with as much effort as they post I am sure they would be good ones, but do they even go out and talk to the parks about geocaching, oh no they just post.

Last but not lease, if you don't like j’s sandbox, go home and [expletive deleted].

ESAD………………JOE

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on October 23, 2003 at 10:33 PM.]

Blowing the whistle on this post!

JoGPS, I know you have a ton of finds, that you work with the parks in your home state and you've helped the development of geocaching there. But I don't care WHO you are, every member of this community is subject to the same forum conduct guidelines. I must insist that you respect them.

I have edited out the names of some individuals that you included. These constitute personal attacks rather than criticism of ideas. I have edited out some foul language. This is the last time, by the way, that I expect to see "ESAD" in one of your posts, it has turned into a bit of a signature line for you and yes I know what it stands for. Please tone it down.

Most importantly, the guidelines say that we must respect everyone's right to an opinion, whether they have 1 find or 2000 finds.... or one forum post or 2000 forum posts. Please observe this guideline and the others cited above. This constitutes your warning before further action is considered.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on October 23, 2003 at 10:38 PM.]

How about if I say I didn’t know the posting rules have changed I just posted , and then looked at them and saw that I was indeed wrong it seems to be the way all the trouble makers do it then complain that is was a stupid rule anyway and I think it should be changed to bla bla bla bla. ………….JOE

I had to try

quote:
Originally posted by JoGPS:

...bull sh1t posters like [Names Edited] only to name a few that stir up trouble all the time and make it not a very enjoyable place to read about geocaching. It as much my game as it is there’s...Last but not lease, if you don't like j’s sandbox, go home and [Edited].

JOE

And your post enhanced the quality of the forums how? With all your whining, it sounds like if I gave, what you just dished, you would **** your pants and quit the game.

Like you said, It's my game too, and I sure as hell didn't single you out for a pissing match.

[This message was edited by mtn-man on October 23, 2003 at 11:02 PM.]

RK, please consider editing out the quoted text, which I endeavored to quickly remove from the forum. You could just say that you were one of the persons initially named, or at the very least remove the names other than yours. By quoting the text you are just perpetuating what was wrong with the initial post. It's up to you, though... you were the person named.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

quote:
Originally posted by JoGPS:

RK I was kinda wishing you would quit and stay over on that new want to be site of yours

[DELETED]…….JOE

Why even waste your time wishing? If you have that much animosity you should not even let me cloud your thoughts. That you do is just ironic. I do nothing to annoy you and succede admirably, and yet I don't even waste my time on you. This thread and this post is where it ends for me. Next time use your brain. You will notice that it was your quotes in my post that got edited. Not what I said. Your comment on bullying is just funny because adults just don't say what you said unless they are looking for a fight. Even now you are exactly what you were complaining about.

Sleep it off.

P.S. My dues are coming up in a few months. I'm going to pay them.

[This message was edited by mtn-man on October 23, 2003 at 11:22 PM.]

I just noticed that Elias posted a "downtime" post for last Monday. Probably needed to dip some of these threads in some ice water icon_rolleyes.gif

Oops! I haven't been caching a year yet. I'll go slink back to my hole icon_biggrin.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

We've been caching since July 5, 2002, just a little over a year. For us, things are pretty much the same. We have lots of caches near us to go and find if we can make the time. We still hide a cache now and then. We have more friends than we did last year mostly because of geocaching. We've seen changes, some that we've liked and some that we haven't. None of the changes have gotten in the way of our having a good time while caching. That is pretty much up to us.

--Marky

...Be nice to your fellow geocachers, they might be Hemlock...

Well, I've been caching for two years now, and as you can see from my numbers, I'm not "eat up with it" as some others are. I cache at my leisure, and when the kids and I can make the time. It's not an activity we feel we MUST do every chance we get, but enjoy the chances we do get. I find I enjoy event caches more than I used to and I'm glad they have not been banned.

It does seem there is a trend toward only allowing physical, traditional caches and away from anything else. I lament that trend. Rather than trying to make ALL caches better, we've pretty much seen that you can have as lame a traditional or micro as you want, but any degree of "lame" in a virtual is reason to execute it. It's a shame, but, I accept it and cache on.

I still enjoy caching. Yes, the "new" has worn off, and I go through periods of nearly no activity, and periods where I want to cache all the time.

It does seem there are more rules all the time, more restrictions, more complaints in the forums, etc, etc, etc, but that is to be expected as this RASH has grown so much.

Anyone who expected differently is fooling themselves....lol.

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

First of all, you are discussing "the evolution of" geocaching.com, which is not synonymous with "the evolution of geocaching."

I've been caching over two years now. "Eye Candy" does not interest me in the least, so I consider all the time and effort spent on changing fonts, graphics, icons, etc. as wasted time and effort. Functionality should take precedence over appearance.

It proved necessary to implement some changes that benefit the site to a far greater degree than they benefit site users. The cache maps are a good example of this ... the old ones were as good or better than the present version, but as the site received heavier use, it became evident that those maps placed too great a load on the site servers.

Members-only features have increased the functionality and ease of use of the site for many people.

Changing focus to the number and quality of cache placements during the past two years, I think the average new cache placement is inferior to the average new cache placement of two years ago in terms of location. I also think the average new cache placement uses a better quality container than the average new cache of two years ago, but contains fewer trade items. (The trade items themselves may or may not be of higher quality.)

I dislike the current trend of placing log-only micro caches in areas that could easily support normal size caches. While some are very well thought out and implemented and are a real pleasure to seek, many more unfortunately prove to be nothing more than "dump-and-runs." To me, that is much the same as placing a virtual cache in an area that could have supported a physical cache.

My first find was in July of 2002 so I fall into the "over a year now" category.

I think the biggest change I've seen is the elimination of virtuals. I applaud the attempt to get more "real" caches out there, but I don't like the idea of completely doing away with virts.

Living in Wisconsin, about our only opportunity to cache in the dead of winter is to do a virtual. It's pretty much out-of-the-question to go out into a woods and dig through 3 feet of snow to find some tupperware. So if I get the urge to geocache when there's a couple feet of snow on the ground, I'd like the opportunity to look up a virtual to check out.

Now I understand that the existing virts are grandfathered in, but I, personally, would like to have the option of finding new ones when I can't find the real ones.

Other than the ensuing loss of virtuals, I don't see that much else has changed. Perhaps a trend to hide the containers a bit better is all.

Wow, when Tracy and I started in '01, the nearest cache to us was almost three hours away (it's still there). We have seen a lot of Minneapolis, and Kansas City Geocaching.

Solana has changed our ability to cache on demand.

The RASH has changed a lot. Viturally no new Virtuals and locationless caches have come and gone. Parks departments are creating policies. I too feel that some come to the discussion boards to do nothing but complain, and barring TPTB acting, start additional threads to complain about inaction on complaints. bad_boy_a.gif It used to be that events were not that common, and now, there's an event somewhere every weekend.

First, for those not "in the know", ESAD means [DELETED BY KEYSTONE].

Okay, Keystone didn't actually delete that, but I thought it'd be funny. Maybe I'm just amusing myself (in public?!...what would people say!).

As for what I've seen happen to caching (started in Feb 2002 using a friend's GPSr):

More tupperware...when I started, there were some really unique containers (glass jars and things).

Very cool puzzles and offshoots(jovial-pirating, TB races, etc) have developed.

Current Virt moratorium (just did a virt in Medford, MA that was interesting and really entertaining!).

Website improvements in the cache mapping, log/cache tracking for those not necessarily interested in power-caching by PQs, and the importation of images to logs.

--

http://healinghearts.freeservers.com/pandee.html