something is missing

Guest McIrish

Guest McIrish

I have what is probably a dumb question, but here it goes anyhow. I am leaving for Hawaii on Sunday and I was going to be geocaching there. My son tried to put the coordinace in our GPS but there was something missing. I am sure it is a dropped 0. Waihou Springs Tunnel gives the coordinace as N20-48.29 should that read 029??? or 290??? W156-17.19 should that read 019 or 190??? I hope someone out there has the answer, I know this will make a big difference.

Guest bwolv

Yes indeed. That means N20 48.290 and W156 17.190

Trailing zeros after the decimal are sometimes dropped, as are preceeding zeros before the decimal point.

Have fun in Hawaii!

Guest tslack2000

Hopefully you're still up and you can get the answer to your question before you go to bed. I happen to be up so allow me to answer your question.

The coordinates you're speaking of are only listed to the second decimal point. So just add a 0 at the END of the coordinates if your GPS takes coordinates to the third decimal place. Some GPS's even go so far (and are accurate enough) to list the coords to the FOURTH decimal place! There are several Caches within Geocaching.com that only list to the second decimal place, they have just dropped the 0. So 40.110 is the same as 40.11. But as you suspected, 40.011 is a whole different ballpark so it's good that you asked! Have fun in Hawaii!!

Guest tslack2000

bwolv not only got to the question faster than I did, he also got to the point a lot faster and answered the question a lot better! I'll just go to bed now. Goodnight!

Guest McIrish

quote:
Originally posted by PharoaH:

JUst a reminder, you could always e-mail the cache placer just to be 100% sure. Have a great time in Hawaii!

Good idea...I will do that. I knew if I posted a question here I would get an answer. Thank you all for answering so quickly. cool.gif

Guest tslack2000

quote:
Originally posted by bwolv:

Heee heee, (TSlack200) I'm glad we reached the same answer!

Hey! You dropped a 0 in my handel! Didn't we just talk about this. icon_wink.gif

Guest tslack2000

quote:
Originally posted by bwolv:

Heee heee, (TSlack200) I'm glad we reached the same answer!

Hey! You dropped a 0 in my handel! Didn't we just talk about this. icon_wink.gif