Rest stop caches

quote:
Originally posted by RobertM:

So we all know what exactly homophobe / homophobia is:

From Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=homophobe):

1) Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.

2) Behavior based on such a feeling.

Also see: http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=3436&catcode=13

I think people are confusing homophobia with homoaedia.

[This message was edited by RobertM on August 12, 2003 at 11:14 PM.]

I am sick of the term. It is a perfect example of how political and media expedience supplants what is correct. The term needs to be homosexualphobia! "Homophobia" simply means "fear of self." It is wrong on TWO counts. But this is not news to those who created it who wanted to label those who disagree with their agenda (funny how "tolerant" people always seem to be doing this) as somehow fearful. What is Latin for "don't pee on my leg and say it is raining" because that is what should have been used. Don't tell me this is normal because it is not.

Every bit as important is that length of the word. "Homosexualphobia" doesn't fit in headlines or roll off the tongue and therefore makes it awkward to use in their Inquisition Against Normality or whatever kick they are on.

Jomarac,

No, I don't get it. The more you explain the murkier your argument becomes.

The reality is that many male homosexuals are in the closet and many live dual lifestyles married to women. Discreetion is paramout.

Homosexual men have taken over public areas in many cases in their efforts to satisfy their sexual needs in a covert setting.

Oh geeze, I found a bunch of rest area caches alone in Iowa and Illinois on one trip. Nice nature trails at some of them. I had no concerns and no problems. I also found some in Nebraska with a friend, one at an area known for *cruisers.* We saw someone who might meet that, but were not concerned with the exception that we wondered if we might have to explain to him why we were searching the bushes if he saw us (he didn't). I found that I like rest area caches as a way to break up a trip and I don't care if guys are cruising (although I am female, maybe males would feel threatened).

Of course, I wouldn't do one of those caches alone at night. Not out of fear of the cruisers, but as Flask said, out of watching for general safety, which could be the case anywhere. I simply don't cache alone at night in anyplace!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Homosexual's are not aggressive unless you are perceived as a potential partner.

Once it is clear than sex is not an option they back off and become timid. Unless they are drunk.

Many years ago I sat down at a certain table late at night at a fast food joint. Apparently it meant something. Remember that I am female. Anyway, a woman came and sat down and then propositioned me! I expressed confusion and she somewhat embarrassedly explained that sitting alone at the table at a certain time meant something. Being straight, I turned her down. Regardless, since she had just bought food and the place was busy at that time for some unexplained reason, I invited her to eat with me. Anyway, we ended up having a good conversation. Years later, I met her professionally and she expressed embarassment again since she was young and wild then and now is in a long term relationship. She and her partner are now people that I see once in awhile professionally and like just fine.

Anyway, as much as I wanted to stay out of any debate about homosexuals, I guess women can come across as *cruisers* too! The point is that I doubt cruisers of either sex make rest area caches unsafe. Yet, I don't really approve of anyone, regardless of orientation, seeking sex in a public area. Still, I don't think it makes cache seeking unsafe. If you run into a problem, turn the person down and then have a conversation! Like I said before though, I would avoid it at night, but it is not the cruisers I am worried about then!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Carleen seems to have a very mature approach to life.

I don't think so. Instead, I think I am the type of person who will happily meet and talk to people under just about any circumstances and tend to (but not always) make friends from it. But some friends of mine have pointed out that it could maybe get me in trouble at some point. It hasn't happened yet, but I have found that I am getting more cautious about giving money to homeless people and such. But if I don't have a friend with me who wants to get out of the situation, I will still likely engage the person in conversation! Some of my most interesting conversations have been with complete strangers! Maybe that is why I like forum posting so much?!?!

pokeanim3.gif

Solohiker, I'll give it one more shot to explain it to you, but it really seems to me that you're just being obstinate and/or confrontational OR you're really just as dense as you appear to be.

quote:
solohiker wrote:

No, I don't get it...

The reality is that many male homosexuals are in the closet and many live dual lifestyles married to women. Discreetion is paramout.

Homosexual men have taken over public areas in many cases in their efforts to satisfy their sexual needs in a covert setting.

I've never had a conversation with one of these perverts to ask them what their marital status is, but I'll consider that if your assumption is true, it is even more frightening considering that they are also putting their own families at risk (i.e., STD's and personal or criminal injury, arrest, etc).

If discretion is paramount, then why are they doing this in a public place?

A covert setting? I hardly think so -- they might pretend that it's a covert setting and they're acting like they belong to a club with a secret handshake, but I'm very confident telling you that these guys are a long ways from being covert. Just consider how many others have posted to this thread saying that they have witnessed these 'covert' actions.

When we get down to brass tacks, it is not whether these perves are homosexual or not -- the issue at hand here is that rest stop areas are potentially dangerous places where crimes are known to take place and you may be at risk if you venture off of the parking areas into the woods. Once again, yours or my opinion of homosexuality has nothing to do with this discussion.

The responsible thing for the game of caching is to acknowledge that there is illegal (and for most people, immoral) behavior known to be taking place at some or all of these areas and they may not be wise locations to place caches as it could be dangerous and/or offensive in the event of an encounter.

If a cache is already placed in a rest area, it would be prudent to mention on the cache page that it is advisable to use caution, especially after nightfall.

Just let cachers know that if they find this type of behaviour bothersome, don't place or find caches at rest stops.

Pretty simple.

-----

quote:
Solohiker wrote:

Homosexual's are not aggressive unless you are perceived as a potential partner.

This is funny. You make it sound as though homosexuals have some sort of 'Klingon' mating ritual that they follow. I didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me. icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on August 15, 2003 at 02:32 AM.]

I would like to draw you all back onto subject just for the moment. Maybe I am ignorant, but by rest stops I take it you mean a drive in bay by the side of a freeway or (as you yanks call it) interstate. It usually has picnic tables and toilets. So why are these so attractive for undesirables. We have them all over the place in Australia.

quote:
The 2 Dogs wrote:

We have them all over the place in Australia.

Rest areas or undesirables? Just kidding.

The rest areas that we're discussing are exactly what you have described.

I'm guessing here, but I think at least part of the reason is that local people don't tend to frequent rest areas, making them less likely to be reported.

Another reason might be that (at least in most of the rest areas that I've seen), there is a wooded area nearby.