Golf Balls in Caches

Cache Ya Later

Does it bother anyone else to find beat up golf balls (that were probably found on the way to the cache) inside a cache?

I opened a cache today and it had 3 beat up golf balls in it. If the golf ball was brand new, I could see, but a beat up used one??

I have fun finding the cache, but my kids (and me too I guess) like the ones that at least have something fun in it.

I vote for no more used golf balls in caches. What do you think?

Sorry, didn't think I could hit it that far.

Seriously, the beat up balls is kind of cheesy. There are many golf balls that have customized logos, etc. on them. You can even get a do-it-yourself kit for this. Some people collect these things, but the used golf ball in a cache is a bad idea.

It depends on the manufacture of the ball and how beatup. If they were beatup Top Flight x-outs maybe a bad idea. But if they were a not too bad a shape Titleist Pro V1 ($5 apiece new) then maybe. If you don't golf then you probably have no idea how bad a ball a golfer will use when he/she has run outof them. icon_biggrin.gif

Try not to criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Because by then you are a mile away...and you have their shoes.

It depends on the manufacture of the ball and how beatup. If they were beatup Top Flight x-outs maybe a bad idea. But if they were a not too bad a shape Titleist Pro V1 ($5 apiece new) then maybe. If you don't golf then you probably have no idea how bad a ball a golfer will use when he/she has run outof them. icon_biggrin.gif

Try not to criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Because by then you are a mile away...and you have their shoes.

Golfballs as a signature item would also be OK. Lets say you ran a driving range and wanted to recycle the junk balls into some unique item that would be your signature. Would be cool. Just dumping a few beat up balls definitely falls into the category of geotrash.

I am increasingly of the opinion that as a sport, we should be using these type of signature items more as they would work to limit the garbage that finds its way into the caches.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

I keep finding these beat up golf balls that have a red stripe around them. What's that all about? icon_frown.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I keep finding these beat up golf balls that have a red stripe around them. What's that all about? icon_frown.gif

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I'd like to make a pun about how this practice drives me nuts, but I won't. Golf balls are like McToys, they sit in the cache and no one takes them. In my experience they tend to be beat up and only good for practice balls at a driving range.

In a few instances I have found caches with an unopened box of golf balls, in that case I have no problems.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Those are usually "range balls" from a driving range, definitely the bottom of the barrel.

Personally, the contents of a cache isn't that important to me, but I would rather not see junk thrown in there. I think some people may find it humorous because of some "quirkiness" factor, but I just read it as people not caring.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Those are usually "range balls" from a driving range, definitely the bottom of the barrel.

Personally, the contents of a cache isn't that important to me, but I would rather not see junk thrown in there. I think some people may find it humorous because of some "quirkiness" factor, but I just read it as people not caring.

I have a theory about the golf balls.

See, these golf balls are a self-replicating life-form. They're slowing intergrating our society, and have some sinister plan. I don't know what the plan is. But it's an ingenious way to infiltrate. How innocent they look. But one daY YOU'LL ALL SEE!

ahem, 'scuse me.

----------

Chickenfoot! Come back! You're not a freak! You're just stupid!

I have seen a few golf balls in caches myself, and I've only found a handfull so far - but I will come to their defense. Sometimes a small child can have a good time with an old golf ball. They bounce nicely on pavement, and make a nice sound while they are at it. icon_smile.gif If the skin is split, that is a different story... but otherwise, I don't think golf balls (used or otherwise) are too bad.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

I have seen a few golf balls in caches myself, and I've only found a handfull so far - but I will come to their defense. Sometimes a small child can have a good time with an old golf ball. They bounce nicely on pavement, and make a nice sound while they are at it. icon_smile.gif If the skin is split, that is a different story... but otherwise, I don't think golf balls (used or otherwise) are too bad.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

When I find golfballs I always think that somebody decided they needed new ones and think their rejects would be a good cache item or that they found one and thought "hey a free trade item." I feel they rank with McToys and turn caches into free boxes from garage sales.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Used golf balls are one of my 4-year-old son http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=25993's favorite things to find in a cache. He nearly always trades for them.

Which is NOT to say I appreciate people leaving them in caches, however.

Today, I did maintenance on my four non-virtual caches.

Micro--nothing shabby in it ('way too small for trade items)

Trad. cache--said to be overfull by last finder: removed two used golf balls, a loose temporary tattoo, a unwrapped McToy, and a broken pencil with teeth marks. I also consolidated all the plastic kiddie jewelry in a kid's purse (already in cache)

Trad. cache: removed a broken toy from one--finder had posted in log that it was from another cache; I think a child placed it both times--and some leaf mound (not a trade item)

Trad. cache: nothing shabby but a wide social trail had developed (forget dogs; someone in KY is caching with an elephant), so I moved it.

So, after six weeks of letting them be, I had two golf balls and some shabby items. There are no golf courses nearby, so someone is deliberately carrying golf balls to trade/leave when they cache.

wcgreen

Sure, I agree with you re the used golf balls. But even though I don't have that many finds yet (being new to the sport) I already have gotten to the point that I'm not fazed by geojunk anymore, it's just par for the course. icon_rolleyes.gif However if one gets really, really bored, depending on how the golf ball is made, I've seen kids amuse themselves by taking the cover off the ball, and then unwinding the rubber. Some are like an endless rubber band and it can be a challenge to see how long a strip you can unwind - kind of like peeling an apple. The core may be a metal ball about the size of a marble (which has more potential for fun than a used golf ball) or it may be liquid. Yech. Ok, I know. Really lame. but they sure aren't worth anything as far as playing golf is concerned.

GoPherStash

Sure, I agree with you re the used golf balls. But even though I don't have that many finds yet (being new to the sport) I already have gotten to the point that I'm not fazed by geojunk anymore, it's just par for the course. icon_rolleyes.gif However if one gets really, really bored, depending on how the golf ball is made, I've seen kids amuse themselves by taking the cover off the ball, and then unwinding the rubber. Some are like an endless rubber band and it can be a challenge to see how long a strip you can unwind - kind of like peeling an apple. The core may be a metal ball about the size of a marble (which has more potential for fun than a used golf ball) or it may be liquid. Yech. Ok, I know. Really lame. but they sure aren't worth anything as far as playing golf is concerned.

GoPherStash

GoPherStash

I was recently at a cache which was a few feet from the ocean. There were shells all over the beach and a couple in the cache as well. (And these weren't pretty shells either.) Such shells would have to be lower on the continuum than golf balls, but it was amusing to think that someone who forgot to bring some trinkets came up with the idea of leaving them. icon_razz.gif Or maybe it was a geocaching joke. I don't know.

I was recently at a cache which was a few feet from the ocean. There were shells all over the beach and a couple in the cache as well. (And these weren't pretty shells either.) Such shells would have to be lower on the continuum than golf balls, but it was amusing to think that someone who forgot to bring some trinkets came up with the idea of leaving them. icon_razz.gif Or maybe it was a geocaching joke. I don't know.

Low on my list:

McToys, especially broken.

Spare change (like three pennies and a nickel).

Business cards.

Cheap items with a now-failed dotcom's logo.

Rocks (of a variety found directly under the cache).

Spare keys.

On the other hand, one's man junk is another man's treasure...[:D]

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

Low on my list:

Business cards.

Spare keys.

On the other hand, one's man junk is another man's treasure...[icon_wink.gif]

Charlie

Low on my list:

Business cards.

Spare keys.

On the other hand, one's man junk is another man's treasure...[icon_wink.gif]

Charlie

quote:
Originally posted by GoPherStash:

...I've seen kids amuse themselves by taking the cover off the ball, and then unwinding the rubber...

I know nothing about golf balls, and have yet to see one in a cache. But I did have a friend when I was younger that cut open a golf ball with a knife and the liquid squirted into his eye and ended up going to the hospital. His sight survived, but if some golf balls are made the same nowadays, you might want to consider the danger to kids doing that..

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

...but never as a trade item. A couple times I've found a golf or tennis ball on the way to a cache, I've just dropped them in if there was room. I would still do a normal trade of something else.

A couple weeks ago we were headed to a cache near a golf course and ended up picking up about 20 balls! Some of them were pretty good too. That was too many and anyone else hunting it will find tons too so I just carted them back to the car.

Rusty...

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

http://www.mi-geocaching.org]Michigan Geocaching Organization