Suggestions for anchoring cache (underwater)

Guest gnbrotz

Guest gnbrotz

I have finally found a location to hide an underwater cache. I will only be in about two feet of water, but the particular spot has a pretty swift current (it won't be dangerous for humans, just not ideal to leave a cache without anchoring it). My idea is to use a 8" - 10" tent stake driven into the stream bed. It would have a short piece of rope or cable with a caribiner on the end to allow the finder to unclip it and take it to shore for logging/goodie exchange. The main thing I'm not sure about is how to hammer a stake into the ground 2' underwater (pretty tough to get a good swing). I would love to have your thoughts/questions/suggestions about this plan.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

Guest Gliderguy

If the stream isnt totally rocky bottomed, try something like this:

http://www.outdoortoysdirect.co.uk/prod_info.asp?PID=130

You should be able to find them at hardware stores.

In case it isnt totally obvious, these auger into the ground with a twisting motion. You would need a hefty 2ft or longer wood or metal bar to twist it into the ground with.

If this isnt practical, get a piece of metal pipe that weighs a couple of pounds. Get your tent stake started however you can, then use the metal pipe in a pile driving motion to drive the tent stake. minimal splashing. Or get a wooden dowel or something, and once the stake is started put the dowel on the head of the stake, then hammer on the top of the dowel (which is presumably long enough to be above the water's surface)

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 08 September 2001).]

You didn't mention what the bottom consisted of. If it's sand, a small cheap mushroom anchor or tent "sand wedge" would work good. If mud, the auger screw. If rocks, drill and tap a rock for an eyebolt.