Geocache (GPS) Spill Over to Real World

Dale_Lynn

How may people have you introduced to GPS...

Recently a crane company representative had surveyed a site to hoist a cellular telephone site to a location on a hill top... They later brought a crane up and it was too small to do the job...

I showed operator how to take GPS reading at site where equipment cabinet would be located and then a reading where the closest place the crane could be set up... It took him about 10 seconds to calculate the differences (elevation and horizontal) and decide the exact size crane needed to "reach" the spot he needed to place the cabinet... Also in same 10 seconds really had some unkind things to say about rep. who screwed up his work day...

Anybody have a similar experience

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey! Did you hear? I found a bag of crap hung on a tree!

Seriously tho... Ever since I bought my GPSr, I couldn't find *one* single practical use for it besides finding tupperware, (cuts down on the tupperware parties tho, which I've never been to, but I imagine I would find them extremely boring)

You think if it was a Garmin, the crane would have ended up in Africa? /me ducks icon_smile.gif

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

Seriously tho... Ever since I bought my GPSr, I couldn't find *one* single practical use for it besides finding tupperware, (cuts down on the tupperware parties tho, which I've never been to, but I imagine I would find them extremely boring)

You think if it was a Garmin, the crane would have ended up in Africa? /me ducks icon_smile.gif

geosig.jpg

geosig.jpg

You don't mention what grade of GPS you are referring but I'm not sure I'd like to be relying on a consumer grade GPS if it was my job on the line. The line between if missing by an inch or missing by a mile one still misses.

As an aid certianly but not totally dependent on what a common GPS will/does provide.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

You don't mention what grade of GPS you are referring but I'm not sure I'd like to be relying on a consumer grade GPS if it was my job on the line. The line between if missing by an inch or missing by a mile one still misses.

As an aid certianly but not totally dependent on what a common GPS will/does provide.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

I used the database in my Legend to find the nearest McDonalds. Now I'm all stocked-up with McToys and ready to go caching.

I also screwed up my trailer hitch and had to find an auto parts store in unfamiliar territory. The database in the Legend found one close by that I would have never found and I used the internal map to get to it.

I use a different GPS in my boat to get around. It's especially helpful in the Sacramanto Delta when I'm running around in the sloughs where it's easy to get lost. Of course that one has an anchor drift alarm though I still don't sleep well at anchor.

I use the NMEA port output to a laptop with charting software to know exactly where I am and what's around me. It makes me a lot more comfortable underway.

I have been using GPS technology since 1992, in the field of archaeology. We work on Fort Bliss, which in tose days had a trimble "slugger" unit, meaning the selective availability was off. We were using the unit to log archaeological sites for the post.

Today we use them to map sites, relocate old sites, pinpoint artifact collections, and a whole host of other uses. We use them to survey areas for new sites. Much of what we find are remanants of old pottery vessels, or prehistoric tupperware, I suppose.

The Marauder

As the editor of a Game magazine I clued in to geocaching by one of my readers. In return I was able to inform our readers (20,000+) of some of my adventures. Even ran a comic strip on the subject called, "Geobashing".

I've been thrilled that over the last 12 months nearly 100 readers have emailed to say they had taken up the sport or were saving up to buy a GPS and get started.

As for family/friends, I've convinced nearly a dozen people to check out geocaching. Both my brother and my dad now own GPSV's now. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of logging my brother's FIRST cache (SKY RANCH).

Geocaching DOES seem to be contagious doesn't it.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Believe it or not, I'm sometimes involved in homicide investigations as part of my job, and on occasion find myself in the middle of the woods looking for shallow graves or other evidence. I now use the GPS I bought for geocaching to help me mark such locations. (How's that for a virtual cache?)

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

quote:

What are you using man? Me? GM 100 for now but want to upgrade to a Garmin V

I was actually being funny... Since the Garmin vs. Magellan argument can get heated at times...

I think they're both great and I'm even thinking about snagging a 76s in the near future... For now I have a Meridian Platinum... I think when you break free of the entry level units, it really comes down to features more than performance...

geosig.jpg

quote:

quote:

I was actually being funny... Since the Garmin vs. Magellan argument can get heated at times...

I think they're both great and I'm even thinking about snagging a 76s in the near future... For now I have a Meridian Platinum... I think when you break free of the entry level units, it really comes down to features more than performance...

geosig.jpg

quote:

quote:

geosig.jpg

Three years ago we moved to Los Angeles. We had no idea where the heck we were when we searched for houses and ended up with a monster commute. We relocated again just a couple of months ago to Pennsylvania. This time we used the GPS. No matter where we looked at houses, we always knew how far we were from the office, local schools and freeways. We found the perfect house with an acceptable commute, and in a school district we liked. Our realtors were very impressed and decided to get their own.