It's cold outside

Anyone know of a type of windbreaker, or jacket that doesn't rip when you hike through the thorns, or whatever is out there? The guys at Dick Sporting goods were like, duh, don't go where you're not supposed to go, and our coat won't rip. Which, I didn't appreciate at all.

Cause, geocahing sometimes requires it.

--Rhonlynn icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Think cotton. Rayon, nylon, etc., will tear and rip. Ya may get some snags in the cotton, but it'll hold up.

REI and others have some really good, light weight, jackets and vests. I like the REI travel vests, but that's just me.

Military surplus is good, but usually a tad on the heavy side.

The problem with windbreakers is that, generally, the more durable the material, the less the jacket breaths, and the more it weighs.

I'm not a big fan of cotton, if it is hot and muggy I sweat and stew. If it is cold and wet, cotton can be downright dangerous. Still, it is cheap and durable.

Most of the year, for hiking, backpacking, and climbing I generally work with 3 layers. I start with a long sleeve, synthetic shirt - light or medium weight, depending on the weather. Always long sleeve. If it is hot, I roll them up - but if it is chilly, or you have to push through brush, you can cover your arms.

My 'coat' is a fleece (capilene, etc.) pull over. They make zip ups (basically jackets), but zippers fail and are a pain with technical gloves, etc. I actually have two pull overs, a serious, winter camping Patagonia one, and a lighter no-brand one. Again, I pick based on the weather. Unless it is really windy or precipitation is involved, I stop here. Brush will catch and snag, etc., but the material is stretchy and very strong. If it gets too windy or wet, I dig out my shell...

My 'shell' is an ultra light, breathable, jacket. I currently use a GoLite (www.golite.com) Reach. It has extra material at the normal climbing wear spots (shoulders, near the waist for the rope, etc.) These coats look waffer thin, but are amazinging tough. I've climbed some pretty rough granite chimneys wearing mine. I expected it to be shredded to bits, but it is still going strong. The thing is so compact and light that I never leave it behind.

A couple of magazines have rated the ultra light breathables (Outside, Climbing, etc.) over the last year or two. The high tech materials are a bit pricey. If you are really just doing short hikes (1-2 miles) in fair weather, a denim 'letter' style jacket is pretty good protection from prickleys, scrapes, and so on. Again, just don't get too wet...

Good Luck,

-jjf

What is wrong with something like a Russell or similar brand sweatshirt (pullover) or jacket (zip up)?

They are warm enough in cooler weather, keep the bugs, scrub and thorns off of you and if they get too warm, they are stretchy enough that you can tie them at your waist or stuff them in your pack.

I have a polyester one (which I HATE!) but I would recommend cotton, because it breathes better and the better quality ones like Russell won't pill up. You can buy them in different weights of fabric, too, and in bright colors so that no one shoots at you.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...