I'm so embarrassed

Guest Ron Bopp

Guest Ron Bopp

I have been attempting to find a certain cache in a near-by State Park for two days now, and so far I haven't had any success. People before have found it, but I just can't get a grip on this one. Has anyone (besides me) ever had to ask for help in finding a cache? I have found 9 so far but not this one Semohiker (RON)

Guest cache_only

onally only decipher at the site after searching at least an hour, and it is no fun to learn the spoiler doesn't reveal jack. Good luck and take care.

Rob

Guest dirtnapper

Yes, don't feel bad..mostly due to the weather. Eric's Adventure in Breakheart. Went back a second time, sure enough, walked over it due to the ice; I was more concerned about getting hurt, so called it off.

Guest Lazyboy

Yes I needed help, and it was my first cache attempt. Two others had trouble finding it so I didn't feel real bad, but when I posted about my non-success the owner of the cache told me I was in the right place, but to look up. Well, that's the clue I need and in a few minutes I'm going back. I think everyone wants their cache to be found, that's part of the fun AND the reason I planted my first one yesterday. Mine is completly covered, but in the clue section I gave away the exact location.

Guest Ron Bopp

I always do the spoiler before I head out on a hunt. This particular hint said to "follow the creek" I went .6 of a mile still no cache. People were there after me and found it. Guess I'll have to go back next Sat. This cache really has me baffled.

Guest lostmypassword

One of the problems I have encountered is using a GPS under a tree canopy. Thicker areas will give false readings. I have tried to take multiple readings in clear areas to try and triangulate beneath tree cover.

I sometimes worry that cache's hidden in the early spring will be difficult to locate in the Summer. Worse is someone who posts coordinates that were taken under heavy leaf cover and are incorrect.

Guest daviskw

Ron if the cache is at Hawn State Park I had trouble with it too. I believe there may be a small error in their coordinates but not an unreasonable one. I can tell you what I do when I run into trouble. When I approach the cache site the first time I don't try to get exactly on the coordinates, just to within 20 feet or so. Then I do the most important thing. I stop look around and think to myself, where would I hide it. Most of the time it works and I find it. If that doesn?t work or the GPS is jumping around, I back off to a clear area, make sure my GPS is set to magnetic north, get the bearing and distance to the target. I put the GPS away and use the compass and pacing to get to the area. Then as before I try to think like the cacher, where would I put it. If that does not work then I use my walking staff to mark a center point and start searching further away in circles. If that does not work I go back to the center of my search area and change the search elevation. By that I mean look in the trees, on top of boulders or other structures. OK if that does not work there is the possibility that the cache is buried. I look for disturbed areas on the ground, easy areas to dig in, or maybe foot trails that end for no apparent reason. So far I have found all the caches I have looked for but not all of them were easy. Good luck?.Butch

[This message has been edited by daviskw (edited 04-15-2001).]

Guest Anton

You're embarrassed?!

I've made a total of 5 attempts to find a cache, where I was standing repeatedly on the exact coordinates, and failed every time. The last time I had my son, a college student, and two visting adult relatives, all who thought I must be a dufus. While there, we were approached by a couple who asked about my GPS. Turns out they know one of the cacher owners, and wanted to find the cache, but they don't own a GPS. Who knows what they were thinking, but I digress...

So, now we had SIX reasonably bright adults searching within a 100-foot radius of my thrice confirmed cache coordinates spot, and STILL we couldn't find it. Of course, it doesn't help that the cache has been described as a half-cup tupperware. Have you looked a half-cup tupperware lately. It's pretty darn small, especially if you bury it in a patch of ivy. Who's whining? Me? Yeah, okay, so I'm whining. At this point, I think I'm entitled. The cache owners have already admitted that the first set of clues was "somewhat misleading", and offered another clue. I might ask: what is the point of giving "misleading" clues? But, I won't...gentelman that I am.

Oh the other hand, how many attempts, and how much time should be spent before one gives up in frustration, and writes a cache off as being "unfindable" with the clues as they stand. At this point, no one else has found this cache, as it's relatively new, so I have no reason to think that it's possible, or even to know it's there at all.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest lostmypassword

What if the cache has been removed? I assume the owner has verified that the cache hasn't been stolen and still exists?

Why not just ask him where it is, exactly?

Guest Moun10Bike

Don't feel bad or embarrassed at all! I have found over 20 stashes, but got completely stumped by one a couple of weeks ago -- the Cedar Rapid stash ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1166 )! I hunted all over with no luck, and even read the clues backwards and forwards! I ended up contacting the cache hider for an additional hint, and with his help I was able to find the cache. It turns out that it was an offset cache, and I failed to get that from the hints -- I was looking for the physical cache at the given coordinates. The cache hider has since added photos to help others in the hunt.

Guest Ron Bopp

Iam not going to let this cache beat me, I SHALL RETURN! Hopefully I will not come home empty-handed this time. Thanks for all your help especially Butch

semohiker (Ron)