WAAS using eTrex Legend

erok

I just purchased my new eTrex Legend and have selected it WAAS-enabled, but I am unable to get it to work. I understand the WAAS satellite is number 32(?). Is anyone else having this problem? I live on Puget Sound in Washington and have a great, clear view of the sky.

Thanks

Erok

Hi Erok,

Garmin actually designates the Pacific WAAS satellite as #47 and the Atlantic WAAS satellite as #35. Both are usable by those of us in the Puget Sound area, but they are low on the horizon.

It takes several minutes for a WAAS unit to first "learn" what satellites to look for when WAAS is turned on. It cycles through the 19 possible WAAS satellites until it locks on to the two correct ones one at a time, a process that can take up to 20 minutes (or longer if it fails to gain a lock on an available bird before cycling on). Once you have gone through this "learning" process, your GPSr will always know what WAAS satellites to look for right away.

You can read more about the process of getting WAAS set up on your GPSr at this web page. The bottom line is to position your GPSr in a spot with an excellent view of the horizon to both the southwest and southeast and give it time to cycle through the WAAS satellites and acquire both satellite #35 and satellite #47.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Excellent.. Thanks for your help. I will fire her up and let her sit for 20 mins. I am sure that will work.

Thanks again!

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Hi Erok,

Garmin actually designates the Pacific WAAS satellite as #47 and the Atlantic WAAS satellite as #35. Both are usable by those of us in the Puget Sound area, but they are low on the horizon.

It takes several minutes for a WAAS unit to first "learn" what satellites to look for when WAAS is turned on. It cycles through the 19 possible WAAS satellites until it locks on to the two correct ones one at a time, a process that can take up to 20 minutes (or longer if it fails to gain a lock on an available bird before cycling on). Once you have gone through this "learning" process, your GPSr will always know what WAAS satellites to look for right away.

You can read more about the process of getting WAAS set up on your GPSr at http://gpsinformation.net/waas/acquire-waas-a.html. The bottom line is to position your GPSr in a spot with an excellent view of the horizon to both the southwest and southeast and give it time to cycle through the WAAS satellites and acquire both satellite #35 and satellite #47.

http://geocachingwa.org