TRAVELING CACHE: Waiting to log

Guest bwware

Ok, here is my story. There is a TRAVELING CACHE that came close to where I live the other day. It was a 45 minute drive to get to it, but since I had already did the other ones in my area, I thought I would make the drive to go get it. I left my house at 2:00pm on the 3rd. Before I left, I checked the logs and made sure it was still in HIDDEN mode before I left to save me the waisted trip. Still in hidden mode, I was on my way. I get to the cache and the Rover (the traveling cache) was gone. No big deal I thought. The person who took it must have JUST been here and we crossed paths. Thinking that the person who took the rover was here with in the last hour or so, I looked at the log book and noticed they had took it darn near 24 HOURS ago!! 24 hours ago and still no log? On a cache such as this, does one not see the need to log in ASAP? What do you all think? Am I being a sore loser? I dont think that I am. I just dont think that is a fair way of playing the game. If you wanna check out the cache I am talking about, click here!!

Ever Onward,

------------------

Bill Ware

The Cinci Cachers

http://www.cincicachers.com

Guest Markwell

As the owner of a travelling cache, my feeling is that there's really nothing that could have been done to avoid this situation.

Would this be any different than if you had gone after a cache 100 miles away, only to find that the cache had been plundered and removed - and you were the first one to discover it?

Travelling Caches or Hitchhikers (they are different) move. Sure, in your situation, I would have liked to have known that the Mars Rover would definitely be there for me to take, but it wasn't. Team Lead pipe didn't have access to a computer - I don't think you could fault them for that.

Shaggy and Scooby were hiding in Wolf Point cache when they went down the Chicago River, and people came over 50 miles from across the Wisconsin border to try and take them. They looked and the entire cache (including Shaggy and Scooby) were gone. They were disappointed, but didn't blame the cache hider at Wolf Point, nor did I.

Bottom line: you were disappointed in not finding the Mars Rover, even though your best information said it would be there. Did you have a good trip?

I am not blaming the cache hider at all! I am blaming the ones who took the cache and not noted it as such over 24 hours later! Not having access to a computer is not an excuse to me. A cache such as this needs to be logged in asap. It is just a proper way to do it. If you are going after a traveller and know full well you will not be able to post about it with in 4 hours of finding it, you should either:

1. Make a note on the website saying your on your way after it.

or

2. Dont go after it!

This has left a very bad taste in my mouth....

Bill

[This message has been edited by bwware (edited 04 September 2001).]

Guest wizmedic

ple get busy and can't get on a computer 24/7. For me, I just keep on playing the game and take my chances. Now if they took a week to log the cache, then I say different. But a day, I wouldnt be to upset. Bill, not to tick you off, but remember, it is just a hitchhiker item. I am sure they will be more around.

Cheers! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest wizmedic

ple get busy and can't get on a computer 24/7. For me, I just keep on playing the game and take my chances. Now if they took a week to log the cache, then I say different. But a day, I wouldnt be to upset. Bill, not to tick you off, but remember, it is just a hitchhiker item. I am sure they will be more around.

Cheers! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by bwware:

I am not blaming the cache hider at all! I am blaming the ones who took the cache and not noted it as such over 24 hours later!

The people from Wisconsin didn't blame the river either icon_wink.gif

There are plenty of travelers around. I missed one too, due to my own ineptitude. I wouldn't dwell on it. Team Lead Pipe was not being intentionally malicious (complete with maniacal laughter) foiling your attempts at a cache. They went out to get a cache, took the traveller that was in it, and logged it as soon as they could.

We have a Moving Cache in Chicagoland that moves around within a certain area. The entire intent is to move it to a new hiding spot. In cases like that, we definitely have to log our intent to find.

But what if someone were in Madison, Indiana, on business from South Africa and wanted to move the Mars Rover? Would you begrudge them the chance to move this travelling cache to the other side of the globe just because they have limited access to being online?

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 04 September 2001).]

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by bwware:

I am not blaming the cache hider at all! I am blaming the ones who took the cache and not noted it as such over 24 hours later!

The people from Wisconsin didn't blame the river either icon_wink.gif

There are plenty of travelers around. I missed one too, due to my own ineptitude. I wouldn't dwell on it. Team Lead Pipe was not being intentionally malicious (complete with maniacal laughter) foiling your attempts at a cache. They went out to get a cache, took the traveller that was in it, and logged it as soon as they could.

We have a Moving Cache in Chicagoland that moves around within a certain area. The entire intent is to move it to a new hiding spot. In cases like that, we definitely have to log our intent to find.

But what if someone were in Madison, Indiana, on business from South Africa and wanted to move the Mars Rover? Would you begrudge them the chance to move this travelling cache to the other side of the globe just because they have limited access to being online?

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 04 September 2001).]

Guest larrycot98

Before I set the Geosheep loose on the world, I contemplated using the www.geocaching.com database to keep track of them for me. I felt that it was unfair to post a lat/long for a cache that might not be there. Still, I think it's a risk inherent to the game. If you go looking for a traveler, it very well might not be there. icon_frown.gif

Guest larrycot98

Before I set the Geosheep loose on the world, I contemplated using the www.geocaching.com database to keep track of them for me. I felt that it was unfair to post a lat/long for a cache that might not be there. Still, I think it's a risk inherent to the game. If you go looking for a traveler, it very well might not be there. icon_frown.gif

celts said:

Did you make a note that you were going after it?

-----

No I did not, because had I found it, I would have posted as such with in the hour I found it. If you have read the whole post, you would have seen me write "If you are going after a traveller and know full well you will not be able to post about it with in 4 hours of finding it..." I thought 4 hours was a nice number. Like I said, had I gotten to the cache and noticed it had JUST been taken, then no big deal....

Hmmm....I guess I thought I would have more support on this one....

Oh well...ever onward...

------------------

Bill Ware

The Cinci Cachers

http://www.cincicachers.com

Three comments:

1)

quote:
Make a note on the website saying your on your way after it. bwware

You know, that's not a bad idea, and I think I'll do that next time I go after a traveler. But once I make my FOUND IT! or DIDN'T FIND IT! log entry, I'll also delete my log entry that said I was going after it. I think the going after the traveler log entry should be temporary just while you're on the hunt so as not to clutter up the log.

2)

quote:
I felt that it was unfair to post a lat/long for a cache that might not be there. larrycot98

As the owner of a Traveling Cache myself, when the cache is in transit, I have always left the co-ordinates at the last place it was hidden. I sort of felt that the cache hunter was responsible for actually reading the page and seeing the giant letters that clearly state that the cache was in transit and not hidden. But in all honesty, it doesn't take me that much work while I'm in editing the page to show its in transit to also change the co-ordinates to a wild location to avoid any possible frustrations for hunters that can't read.

3) For my two cents, 4 hours is unreasonable as is 24 hours. If a hunter that took a traveler hasn't posted in say 48 hours, okay, I'd be a bit miffed. But I think bwware's idea of posting a temporary comment in the log, stateing you are going after the traveler, covers the bases, and I for one will start doing that.

IMHO, bwware didn't need to be so harsh on Team Lead Pipe in their log entry. Had I been in their place, the fun I had caching would have been spoiled when I read their log.

Then again, maybe that was the purpose in doing it, but as bwware said, that's not how I play the game...

So thanks, I got two good ideas from this thread; post when going after a traveler, and changing to phoney co-ordiantes when my traveler is in transit.

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 04 September 2001).]

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

So thanks, I got two good ideas from this thread; post when going after a traveler, and changing to phoney co-ordiantes when my traveler is in transit.

Phoney coords are used for Shaggy and Scooby while in transit, and I state VERY CLEARLY that they are phoney.

I still say first come, first served on travelers.

That's the beauty of this activity. We all think differently, except for the obsession part.

Guest Show Me The Cache

veler from Bloomington, IN to Chicago might have been a nice move, or from Chicago to Louisville, KY, but there was no way. All the rules make "short distance traveling" the most likely outcome, which is fine. I much prefer hitchhikers and have placed and followed several.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Show Me The Cache:

All the rules make "short distance traveling" the most likely outcome, which is fine.

And therein lies the rub. I want my hitchhikers to travel. I live vicariously through their adventures. I want them to see Rome, Paris, the Alps, the Outback. If my little pair can make it to those places and someone takes a picture of them there, it's like I've gone there in spirit, too.

So - my travelers are free game. Can't post for a week? That's OK with me. Sorry to the others that can't find him, but c'est la vie!

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 06 September 2001).]