Looking for positive examples... PLEASE READ, PLEASE HELP!

Tedoca

Hi everyone,

I read and post here regularly. I follow the forums and yes, I know I could do a search and probably find a few examples of what I'm looking for, but...

... if you have had any positive experiences in asking for and obtaining permission to place a cache (or caches) in a given park I'm asking you to please respond here.

Any situation at all where you have worked succesfully to get permission to place a cache.

Whom did you speak with? What benefits did the park receive? (increased attendance etc...) How willing were park officials to work with you? Did they even know what you were talking about? Etc...

Really, anything at all positive. Did you or your cache result in a trail being cleaned up? Were you or your cache responsible for pointing out trail maintenance issues, etc?

I've already printed out about 100 pages of cache logs and forum postings but thought I would be remiss if I didn't ask here as well.

I need hard evidence... not just your comments here but a link to your cache page where the park service has chimed in or a copy of a letter you may have received... can you help?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I'm trying to put together a presentation to present to my local officials.

Regards,

Tedoca

mdgps11.gif

You have probably seen it already, but one of the city parks and recreation departments was extremely supportive of my proposed caches. After a presentation to the parks board, they formally voted to give me permission to place both of the caches.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000977683&m=6770961704

Those caches were Sunset Point Cache and Wichita Forest Cache

In another city park near us, the fire department has used the cache as part of their training to learn to use their gps receivers. See the March 28 post of Kyle's Stash

Some local caches that have concentrated more specifically on the cache in, trash out aspect are some of t-storm's caches, Pick It Up, Pack it Out, Cache in, Trash Out Cache and Rock Road Adventure My impression from reading about this latter cache suggests that the local authorities have been very supportive and interested in the cache....to the point that they have even waived the entrance fee to the park for geocachers seeking the cache.

I know these may not be exactly what you were looking for, but perhaps they will help a little.

Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Alchemist2000

alchemist2000.jpg

You have probably seen it already, but one of the city parks and recreation departments was extremely supportive of my proposed caches. After a presentation to the parks board, they formally voted to give me permission to place both of the caches.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000977683&m=6770961704

Those caches were Sunset Point Cache and Wichita Forest Cache

In another city park near us, the fire department has used the cache as part of their training to learn to use their gps receivers. See the March 28 post of Kyle's Stash

Some local caches that have concentrated more specifically on the cache in, trash out aspect are some of t-storm's caches, Pick It Up, Pack it Out, Cache in, Trash Out Cache and Rock Road Adventure My impression from reading about this latter cache suggests that the local authorities have been very supportive and interested in the cache....to the point that they have even waived the entrance fee to the park for geocachers seeking the cache.

I know these may not be exactly what you were looking for, but perhaps they will help a little.

Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Alchemist2000

alchemist2000.jpg

Cleveland Metroparks has their own caches. It's a "come join us in geocaching" kind of thing with score cards, contests, etc. Check under Recreation then Geocaching. This web page is a good source of positive publicity that could be used with other land managers. The only down side as was pointed out to me is that the park itself is doing the hiding rather than individuals. However, it could be used from the standpoint that parks are at least enthusoiastic about it.

http://www.clemetparks.com/

Alan

PS Check thi topic also.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=4750975044

I recently posted this concerning a recent cache I placed with the enthusiastic cooperation of the park management. It hasn't been there long so there aren't any great great stories to tell yet but I'm sure that the Park Manager would be willing to provide her name and phone number for any other park management officials who would like to hear from non-geocachers on the subject.

In this case, the mission of the park is clearly to attract visitors, educate, etc. (as opposed to provide a habitat for the endangered spotted honey bee) so she was anxious to have something like this to bring awareness of the park to those who might not have even known about it.

Check out St Pat's Sonfist Quest and make special note that the placer is a County Park system! They even offered a class on geocahing within the last few months. I wish I lived in this area! (I was just in their area for business recently.)

They have also approved of my What Will Be, Will Be. They (the park staff) wanted to put one out in that location, too, but I beat them to it by 3 days. They have adopted my cache, sort of, and will keep an eye on it until I can visit it again.

Both caches are fairly new, so .... we shall see.

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

Alchemist has already mentioned the cache that I would have told you about, Pick It Up, Pack it Out, Cache in, Trash Out Cache. I don't have any correspondance since the placement, but I do have a printed and signed permit form for the cache. Note that the permit says that I may place a geocache anywhere in the named park that I desire... a pretty friendly attitude! As you've likely seen, it's a 2-stage multi-cache. First stage contains only trash bags and coords for the next part. Second stage is cache box in a great little spot with some great views but also tons of old trash right there as well. It's an old inlet to the lake which has been mostly dry for years as the water levels have been low. So every imaginable chunk of old cans, bottles, and even appliances are nearby. The park itself is undeveloped... nothing but a few poorly marked trails for hiking, biking, and equestrians. There are not even any trash barrels at the trailheads. What they get is low impact use of their park, primarily upon established trails, and some of this garbage toted out that would otherwise have undoubtedly stayed another 20 years or until the next flood! And they don't even have to provide disposal of the collected trash. Pics with several logs show participation and other logs note the trash out activity even if the photo was forgotten. So maybe there's a bit of documentation on that one.

The other cache, Rock Road Adventure, is a great cache that I adopted and fixed up when it became unsolvable and the owner couldn't be contacted. It was also on Army Corps of Engineers project land, so I asked (and received) permission after the fact on it. I got a contact name from the ranger/naturalist at the project where the first cache is located. On the page I encourage folks to take care for things like wildflowers growing and seeding in the area of the cache and to consider trash out activities. Without the bags, though, this hasn't been as widely done. That is also likely due in part to the fact that figuring out this and completing it may take a while and is more physical effort than many in the standard city parks that are open to us around here. It's a mostly abandoned park. There are still some operated tent camping spots and a tiny &quotmarina&quot boat launch area, but the picnic areas, additional boat launches, and roads and parking for these have been abandoned and long in decay. The remains of the paved road are occasionally mowed, but the surroundings are returning more and more to their natural state. So I don't think they're really waving a fee for us. The fee, I think, is to use the fishing spits or camping areas. Nearby residents of an adjacent retirement community (used to be a Franciscan monastary) use the abandoned section for walking exercise and enjoying nature. I have written permission, though not a permit form, for this cache. The e-mails we exchanged indicated that this ranger was willing to give rather broad permissions here as well. Anyway, not so much documentation of the sort you seek. But if you like wildflowers, see the pictures attached to a note dated 4/25/02 anyway!

Hope that helps a little. Contact me through my profile if you want copies of documentation I sent to obtain permission, the permit, etc.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

The folks at the Cleveland Metroparks have been very cooperative about placing caches. 6 of the caches in the parks were self-placed by the parks but there are about 20 more that are not. In fact, some of the "official" caches are also some of the hardest to reach, requiring longish hikes and some hill climbing.

I have had a few conversations with the naturalist in charge of Geocaching and she has been very helpful. When I inquired about placing a cache of my own she offered some good advice. She has also spoken with the boards of other neighboring park districts to try to get them to go along. So far there has not been much success but we'll keep trying. She's not ready to give up.

In the future, the parks will require a permit but for the following reasons:

1. That the cache is not located in such a way as to create a dangerous situation for seekers. i.e., no caches on cliffsides or in collapsing caves.

2. That a cache is not located in an area containing an endangered or threatened species.

3. To keep too many caches from being placed in one area. They would like to see them spread out a bit.

I know of one cache that had to be relocated because it was to close to a firing range and one that was located in an area containing endangered plants. In both cases, naturalists worked with the cache owners to relocate the caches to nearby, but more suitable locations.

I requested that one of the naturalists visit my cache at some point just to make sure I'm not harming anything and advise if changes were needed. So far they haven't visited but I am on the list.

Other park systems might not be as flexible as the Cleveland Metroparks but it doesn't hurt to ask before placing. You might be surprised as to what an open dialogue will achieve.

_________

Now where did I park my car???????

quote:
Originally posted by runaround:

Oh! You too. icon_wink.gif

And thanks for the update on Cleveland Metropark geocaching. I've been very impressed by what you did there; even more so now with your update..

It should help others gain acceptannce in their areas.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by runaround:

Oh! You too. icon_wink.gif

And thanks for the update on Cleveland Metropark geocaching. I've been very impressed by what you did there; even more so now with your update..

It should help others gain acceptannce in their areas.

Alan

I just received permission to place a cache in one of my city's recreation areas. It should be online this weekend pending Geocaching.com approval.

First, I placed a phone call to the Layton City Parks and Recreation Director, leaving a brief message of my request. He returned my call that afternoon and we had a good conversation concerning my plans. He had not heard of geocaching but was very open minded and gave me verbal permission based on our conversation.

I followed up with an email confirming our conversation, including satellite images of the target area and pictures of the container I intended to use (in this case an ammo can). The email also contained links to the geocaching FAQ, links to other caches in the area, and a link to my profile. I explained some of the misconceptions about geocaching and assured the director that I would maintain responsibility for the cache and surrounding area. He responded within a day with written permission, advising me that they could not be held responsible if the cache was plundered by kids playing in the area and such. We all know that comes with the territory.

I'd be glad to send you the correspondence on this request but I don't want to post it here. The information it provides gives the location, placement, and container description, which would take any challenge out of the hunt.

Send me your email address if you would like the info.

geosign.gif