Suggestions for Photographer's Cache(s)

Guest glenn95630

Guest glenn95630

Blackjak created a new set of caches called Photographer's Cache. It made sense to make 10 similar caches so Markwell ws nice enough to 'host' five of them. Here is link to one of the caches

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14380

Here is link to PC#6

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14413

Hopefully Blacjak or Markwell will post links to the other caches when available (they are currently being created).

This thread is where you can suggest cache locations. Some of my suggestions are below. It is best if you have coordinates since coordinates are needed for the cache page.

Potential Locations:

Trailhead Marker at the Southern Terminus of the Pacific Coast Trail

Approx coordinates N32.5894 W116.4650

There is a talking giant Paul Bunyan at the Trees of Mystery in California. It is located along Highway 101 in the Cresent City or Ukiah area. I was only about 10 years old when I was there but I remember Paul being about 50 feet tall. Paul is in the parking lot (free), to see the trees you have to pay.

The Geographical Center of North America in Rugby North Dakota

http://rugbynorthdakota.com/monument.jpg

Giant Astronaut in the Greater Chicagoland area.

Giant Prairedog statue in South Dakota near eastern entrance to Black Hills. I know, vague location, but Dad didn't have a GPS on the old family trips.

Here is the link to the thread that first discussed this idea if interested:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001910.html

Guest Buck8Point

Hey GREAT Idea for a cache...

How about one in the deep South, say in New Orleans, Louisiana?

Its Mardi Gras this week..

------------------

Buck8Point

"If I can't fix it, It's definately Broke."

Guest AlienPuppy

How about the "The Old Man of the Mountain" in New Hampshire. It is on the New Hampshire Quarter.

Or, The Citco Sign at Kenmore Square in Boston.

Or, The World Peace Bell ? the earth?s largest free-swinging bell, in Newport Kentucky (for all you Cincinnati cachers).

Just some ideas.

/Alienpuppy

Guest blackjak

Here are the first five:

Two USA

One Australia

One Holland

One Canada

The Photographer?s Cache I : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14380

The Photographer?s Cache II : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14414

The Photographer?s Cache III : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14438

The Photographer?s Cache IV : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14439

The Photographer?s Cache V : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14442

Hope this works out!

Alex

Guest Markwell

Number 10 is the only one pending and I've already got an idea for it. It will be in the New England area.

All of you others with great ideas: hold on to them for when the cache comes near you!

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Markwell

And here are the other five:

Photographer's Cache VI - first one hit and moved, now in downtown Chicago.

Photographer's Cache VII - currently the Olympic Torch

Photographer's Cache VIII - currently Gemini Giant Statue in Wilmington, IL

Photographer's Cache IX - currently Coolidge Park Carousel in downtown Chattanooga

Photographer's Cache IX - currently World's Largest Teapot in Boston, MA

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest TresOkies

The place I've always been interested in was that little piece of Minnesota that is actually attached to Canada. I believe there is an Indian reservation there. I've always wondered what events caused that to happen and why it hasn't been rectified.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

That large oil tank in New Jersey that says "Drive Safely" that is shown on the opening credits of the Sopranos TV show.

And while you're at it why not get a photo of that tiny little pizza shop that looks like it used to be a residential home?

--- yrium ---

Guest bluespreacher

This is the neatest idea I've heard in a long time. If any get close to me, I'll jump!

I think this could be done on a regional level, or at least started that way.

I'm for sure following this thread!

Bluespreacher

Guest Markwell

the cache might move at a rapid pace, it'd have a potential for a whole lotta wait for it to come in to your area.

I guess 10 is a good number for a trial of the cache. I'd guess we'll see how well it moves to see how active these will be.

BTW - as of this writing (7am CST Feb 10), four of the caches have been photographed, one by more than one cacher, and two of those have new locations.

And for those keeping score, here's all the links in one spot, with their current locations:

The Photographer's Cache (the original) Wisconsin, the world's largest muskie

The Photographer's Cache II, Craters of the Moon area in Idaho - photographed, pending movement

The Photographer's Cache III, Netherlands train station

The Photographer's Cache IV, Paris Opera House (moved from the Sydney Opera House)

The Photographer's Cache V, former home of Blackjak, British Columbia Canada

The Photographer's Cache VI, former home of glenn95630 in Chicago (moved from the western terminus of the Pony Express)

The Photographer's Cache VII, the Olympic Torch in Salt Lake City (photographed twice, pending movement)

The Photographer's Cache VIII, Gemini Giant statue in Wilmington, IL

The Photographer's Cache IX, Coolidge Park Carousel in downtown Chattanooga

The Photographer's Cache XWorld's Largest Teapot, Boston, MA

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 10 February 2002).]

Guest BikerGar

Frequently Asked Questions About Geocaching

If you don't find the answer you're looking for here, ask it in the forums!

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

How do you pronounce Geocaching?

You pronounce it Geo-cashing, like cashing a check.

Are there any other names for Geocaching?

The GPS Stash Hunt, Global Positioning Stash hunt is interchangable. Geocaching has become the standard for the game, however.

The word Geocaching broken out is GEO for geography, and CACHING for the process of hiding a cache. A cache in computer terms is information usually stored in memory to make it faster to retrieve, but the term is also used in hiking/camping as a hiding place for concealing and preserving provisions.

Being a NEWBIE and afraid to ask questions on the forums I took the advice some suggested on a thread the other evening. I did some research. So if I have this correct someone tells me where to go, I need a camera, and if I'm the first one to POST a photograph I get to participate in the next one. I no longer need my GPS, I have to hurry, and I need a camera. So is this called Geo-Photography or Photo-racing?

Guest blackjak

quote:
Originally posted by BikerGar:

Being a NEWBIE and afraid to ask questions on the forums I took the advice some suggested on a thread the other evening. I did some research. So if I have this correct someone tells me where to go, I need a camera, and if I'm the first one to POST a photograph I get to participate in the next one. I no longer need my GPS, I have to hurry, and I need a camera. So is this called Geo-Photography or Photo-racing?

This Photographer's cache is kind of a twist on virtual geocaching. 99% of the other caches still require finding a cache with the use of you GPSr. icon_smile.gif

Guest blackjak

quote:

This Photographer's cache is kind of a twist on virtual geocaching. 99% of the other caches still require finding a cache with the use of you GPSr. icon_smile.gif

bikergar,

Welcome!

In most cases, you don't need a camera to log a cache. There are only a few set up this way.

And it's not really a race, although some cachers get a kick out of getting there first. If you're thinking of blackjak's comment encouraging me to 'hurry', that was mostly because I asked HIM to hurry and send it my way so I would have something new to hunt. He kindly obliged icon_smile.gif

This particular cache will move around -- once the photos have been added to the post, the finder gets to pick what the subject of the next picture will be, and the coordinates change. For me, another reason to hurry -- if someone logged the craters cache before me, it could have been moved out of my area, to, say, Lousiana.

And, most importantly, feel free to ask any questions you want -- you can't imagine how many things I did on my first few cache hunts, only to find that I had inadvertently been rude or broken some rule of caching etiquette. Didn't learn til I read the forums or asked the questions. But now I'm getting better icon_smile.gif

bikergar,

Welcome!

In most cases, you don't need a camera to log a cache. There are only a few set up this way.

And it's not really a race, although some cachers get a kick out of getting there first. If you're thinking of blackjak's comment encouraging me to 'hurry', that was mostly because I asked HIM to hurry and send it my way so I would have something new to hunt. He kindly obliged icon_smile.gif

This particular cache will move around -- once the photos have been added to the post, the finder gets to pick what the subject of the next picture will be, and the coordinates change. For me, another reason to hurry -- if someone logged the craters cache before me, it could have been moved out of my area, to, say, Lousiana.

And, most importantly, feel free to ask any questions you want -- you can't imagine how many things I did on my first few cache hunts, only to find that I had inadvertently been rude or broken some rule of caching etiquette. Didn't learn til I read the forums or asked the questions. But now I'm getting better icon_smile.gif

Guest Markwell

Not a bad random thought. It would be kinda hard with some of the actual locations chosen now (my old apartment in Chicago, etc.) - If you did something that was just coordinates, you would have to pick something that you knew would stick out as being quirky (like the Giant Astronaut statue on The Photographer?s Cache VIII.

You'd also have to be pretty darn sure of your coordinates. When I researched the Olympic Torch for The Photographer?s Cache VII, I had a dickens of a time finding out where the ceremonies were from the internet, and then just took a stab at the coordinates of the stadium. Turns out I was about 0.18 miles away - not bad for never having been there, but still not close enough to do it without clues.

As this evolves, I think you're right: we'll need to get a little more cryptic to have fun. But I think there are plenty of places in the world for kitschy pictures before we have to go down that route.

Thanks for the suggestions!

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest BikerGar

Just an observation, but doesn't this thread belong in the Getting Started section of the forum. After the ranting the other evening I thought maybe everyone would be a little more sensitive about protocol.

Guest blackjak

quote:

Just an observation, but doesn't this thread belong in the Getting Started section of the forum. After the ranting the other evening I thought maybe everyone would be a little more sensitive about protocol.

Yea.. no.

Guest Harrkev

quote:

Just an observation, but doesn't this thread belong in the Getting Started section of the forum

No. I am NOT "getting started," in the sense that I have found a few and planted one. I am not a newbie, but this is still of general interest. Especially to the photographer in me.

The "getting started" section would, I assume, be more for newbie questions.