Use of the term "treasure hunting"

Guest BigDoggie

Guest BigDoggie

I have a suggestion for everyone.

In this hobby, it seems that we often refer to what we are doing as "modern day treasure hunting" or something like that. Even the geocaching.com homepage uses the term "high tech treasure hunting". Although use of this term clearly gets the concept across, I believe it has a real downside.

Indeed, I would suggest that we carefully avoid making any reference to "treasure hunting" and instead use the term from the geocaching logo: "Cache Hunting".

In reading LOTS of messages on geocaching.com, there seems to be a bias by many of the various parks bureaucrats against the concept of treasure hunting, which they seem to envision as using bulldozers, shovels, raping the environment, causing soil loss, etc. Apparently, the very act of "treasure hunting" in the traditional sense is illegal on some federal land, and a several people have been ticketed by the park police for "treasure hunting." One guy even received such a ticket for HIDING a cache, which seems absurd.

I think the more we avoid that perjorative term, the better off we will be.

Guest jbwcpa

I HATE having to watch every word I say to keep from offending someone. I have tried to find another way to describe the "sport", but treasure hunt seems to be the only thing people understand. I even use that term when I ask my kids if they want to go on a hunt. I think we're stuck with "treasure hunt" until the public catches onto "geocaching." Maybe we could try "GPS hunt."

Where did the term "Geocaching" come from anyway? Not that there's anything wrong with it! Not trying to offend anyone.

rolleyes.gif

Guest CaptHawke

Geocaching is much closer to a scavenger hunt, a harmless parlor game that more people are familiar with, than a treasure hunt, which comes loaded with wild buccaneer images.

scavenger hunt - A game in which individuals or teams try to locate and bring back miscellaneous items on a list.(The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.)

Works for me.

C. Hawke

Bedford NH

Guest BigDoggie

Some of us here in Atlanta have been jawing about this. Here's what I came up with, based on these discussions:

============================================

The one-liner:

Geocaching is like Orienteering, except the participants use a Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) receiver in addition to maps and compasses.

The long version:

What is Geocaching, anyway?

In brief, Geocaching is Orienteering, except the participants use a Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) receiver in addition to maps and compasses.

Geocaching is FAMILY oriented, outdoor activity. At thousands of locations in the United States and all over the world, people have chosen locations that they feel should be seen and enjoyed by others. These Geocachers have hidden a cache (a waterproof container) filled with small toys and other items in an appropriate place nearby, then posted the coordinates for the cache location on a web site.

Other Geocachers and their families who live in or travel to that area use the coordinates, their GPS receiver, and their maps and compass to seek out that cache. There is usually a logbook to record your experiences in finding the cache, and often a camera to take a family picture. The finders take an item, leave an item, replace the cache, and leave the area as they found it, usually picking up trash on the way out (we call this the "Cache In, Trash Out" program).

Geocaching brings families outdoors and to some of the most beautiful locations around, that they might otherwise never know existed. Our goal is to bring more people to the parks and other public lands, and help keep them clean and safe for everyone's enjoyment.

Anyone, feel free to use this and/or suggest revisions.

Guest Hawk-eye

caching ... because they have too much time on their hands. Best just to be honest and mean no one harm ...

Oh, by the way ... starting a new branch of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) ... interest? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

caching ... because they have too much time on their hands. Best just to be honest and mean no one harm ...

Oh, by the way ... starting a new branch of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) ... interest? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest WaylandersMA

There is "political correctness" which I usually choke on and then there is using the right words to influence and convince as many people as possible to your way of thinking.

I have been a member of PETA (people eating tasty animals) for years. The group used to own the peta.com web address but some other group got all hot under the collar and sued.

Currently they are at:

http://www.mtd.com/tasty/

If god meant us to be vegetarians why did she make pork chops so tasty?

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

There is "political correctness" which I usually choke on and then there is using the right words to influence and convince as many people as possible to your way of thinking.

You got it.

Whenever you say "cache", "cache hunt", geocaching", GPS hunt, etc. to most people they don't know what it means, so you have to explain it. They can't conceptualize the activity.

The term "Treasure Hunt", conveys the concept to a wider range of people around the world better than any other phrase. It's perfect.

Guest jbwcpa

I agree with c.mathis. Haven't you ever seen the blank looks when you say "geocaching"? Most people have no idea of what a GPS is or how it works.

And for you PETA hoodlums, I happen to be an animal lover! Especially with a side order of mushrooms and onions and a baked potato. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest jbwcpa

I agree with c.mathis. Haven't you ever seen the blank looks when you say "geocaching"? Most people have no idea of what a GPS is or how it works.

And for you PETA hoodlums, I happen to be an animal lover! Especially with a side order of mushrooms and onions and a baked potato. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Originally posted by c.mathis:

The term "Treasure Hunt", conveys the concept to a wider range of people around the world better than any other phrase. It's perfect.

Perfect, except for the fact that we are not hunting for treasure and that treasure hunting conveys an image of pirates with shovels and pick-axes. (Yo-ho, Yo-ho....Look out! Here comes the NFS!)

More perfect.

scavenger hunt - A game in which individuals or teams try to locate and bring back miscellaneous items on a list.(The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.)

Game vs Pirates?

Miscellaneous Items vs Treasure?

Reality vs Fantasy?

C.H.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by CaptHawke:

Perfect, except for the fact that we are not hunting for treasure and that treasure hunting conveys an image of pirates with shovels and pick-axes.

I was assuming that you wouldn't just say "TREASURE HUNT!" and stop talking. icon_wink.gif

The sentence, "Treasure Hunt, except we use a GPS not a map and shovel", says it all. When you start with that phrase, the audience gets it right away.

It works for children and for the child in me! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by c.mathis (edited 10 August 2001).]

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by CaptHawke:

Perfect, except for the fact that we are not hunting for treasure and that treasure hunting conveys an image of pirates with shovels and pick-axes.

I was assuming that you wouldn't just say "TREASURE HUNT!" and stop talking. icon_wink.gif

The sentence, "Treasure Hunt, except we use a GPS not a map and shovel", says it all. When you start with that phrase, the audience gets it right away.

It works for children and for the child in me! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by c.mathis (edited 10 August 2001).]

Guest CaptHawke

quote:

I was assuming that you wouldn't just say "TREASURE HUNT!" and stop talking.

It works for children and for the child in me!

When children know what GPS is and I actually find a treasure, I may reconsider. Till then, I'll just say 'high-tech scavenger hunt' and stop talking. No 'except'. No need to further explain what I am NOT doing.

Cephas Hawke, man of few words. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by CaptHawke (edited 10 August 2001).]

Guest CaptHawke

quote:

I was assuming that you wouldn't just say "TREASURE HUNT!" and stop talking.

It works for children and for the child in me!

When children know what GPS is and I actually find a treasure, I may reconsider. Till then, I'll just say 'high-tech scavenger hunt' and stop talking. No 'except'. No need to further explain what I am NOT doing.

Cephas Hawke, man of few words. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by CaptHawke (edited 10 August 2001).]

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

quote:
Originally posted by jbwcpa:

I think we're stuck with "treasure hunt" until the public catches onto "geocaching."

Maybe the public will cache on? heehee

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

If god meant us to be vegetarians why did she make pork chops so tasty?

He, God, originally intended for us to be vegetarians. Then after the Great Flood it became okay to eat animals. In the Book of Isaiah we can read that someday all creation will go back to vegetarianism... and, uh, how this relates to geocaching? Well, that's easy - while out in the woods hunting a cache you could get attacked by a bear if you piss it off but you won't hafta worry about being eaten!

Guest Hawk-eye

Hey guys ... I just got home from the Friday from ... well you know ... when I clicked on this string ... well ... the day is much brighter ... THANKS .... my daughter came in and wanted to know why I was laughing so hard! Very good responses .... very funny ... hope everyone has a great weekend of cache hun ... treasur .... err ...huh ... you know that GPS thing! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

Hey guys ... I just got home from the Friday from ... well you know ... when I clicked on this string ... well ... the day is much brighter ... THANKS .... my daughter came in and wanted to know why I was laughing so hard! Very good responses .... very funny ... hope everyone has a great weekend of cache hun ... treasur .... err ...huh ... you know that GPS thing! icon_biggrin.gif