Caching without waypoint averaging

Guest Moun10Bike

Guest Moun10Bike

I have been using a Garmin GPS III+ for geocaching, and now have an eTrex Vista on order. The former supports waypoint averaging, while the latter does not. I wanted to get ideas and tips from those using eTrexes on how best to record a cache location without averaging. Do you take multiple readings and then manually average them? Any pointers you can give would be appreciated.

Guest Quinnow

Yo Bike...I have the III Plus too and have never used the averaging. I have had two people so far tell me that they found the cache within 10 feet of what I had posted, so I don't thik you will need that option on your new GPS...but if this becomes a problem for you I am willing to do you the favor of taking it off your hands icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

Yo Bike...I have the III Plus too and have never used the averaging. I have had two people so far tell me that they found the cache within 10 feet of what I had posted, so I don't thik you will need that option on your new GPS...but if this becomes a problem for you I am willing to do you the favor of taking it off your hands icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Moun10Bike

I figured that the removal SA was why the feature had been dropped, and I've seen the long threads on sci.geo.satellite-nav that discuss whether there is any value to averaging now (unless you do it for something like 2 hours), but I guess there was always a sort of "comfort" factor involved in doing so. Well, maybe it's time for me to embrace the new technology (sorry, puzzled! icon_smile.gif).

Guest Moun10Bike

I figured that the removal SA was why the feature had been dropped, and I've seen the long threads on sci.geo.satellite-nav that discuss whether there is any value to averaging now (unless you do it for something like 2 hours), but I guess there was always a sort of "comfort" factor involved in doing so. Well, maybe it's time for me to embrace the new technology (sorry, puzzled! icon_smile.gif).

Guest KF Quad Explorer

I asked Garmin about averaging and they stated that the Etrex Legend (the one I asked about) actually recieves a better signal than the III+ and it also is WAAS enabled in which the III+ isnt. Also with SA turned off they said there is no need to average.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by KF Quad Explorer:

I asked Garmin about averaging and they stated that the Etrex Legend (the one I asked about) actually recieves a better signal than the III+ and it also is WAAS enabled in which the III+ isnt. Also with SA turned off they said there is no need to average.

Thanks! That's good info to know, and I won't worry about averaging anymore.

Any word on when WAAS will be fully implemented? Currently, there are only two WAAS satellites up, and they are located over the equator -- you need an almost completely open horizon to receive their signal at our latitudes.

Guest KF Quad Explorer

I dont know for sure, but yesterday on the lake I was recieving 4 out of seven sattelites with the D symbol in the bar graph which is suppose to mean Waas enabled sattelites. So I would say maybe 4?????

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by KF Quad Explorer:

I dont know for sure, but yesterday on the lake I was recieving 4 out of seven sattelites with the D symbol in the bar graph which is suppose to mean Waas enabled sattelites. So I would say maybe 4?????

All of the sources that I've been able to find (http://www.gpsinformation.net/exe/waas.html and http://www.gpsinformation.net/etrexlegend.htm, for a couple) indicate that there are just two WAAS satellites in orbit right now. I wonder why 4 "D"s are showing up -- can't wait to get my Vista and check it out!

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 03-30-2001).]