Survival Kits

What do you mean by survival kit? I usually carry water, my Swiss Army Knife and a first aid kit in my day pack. That is all I would need in most instances. Do I have fish hooks and a signal mirror? No.

If I'm about in the winter, or going for a particularly long hike, I'll add my rain parka, other appropriate clothing to the pack. I'll also throw in some Powerbars and/or cheese and crackers.

Honestly, most caches around here I feel odd strapping on my day pack. There is really no need for it...other than a place to store the stash of trade items I keep in it and some water.

We travel together as a "family unit" (12 legs!), so I carry a day pack with water (lots of water), snacks, small first aid kit, some para cord and a Gerber on pretty much any cahche that will take over an hour. I add contents based on time of day and weather. Yesterday we went to a cache in the early evening, we had enough daylight to complete the cache but I brought along a three D cell flashlight just in case. icon_wink.gif

The Tree Frogs

So far, I've only cached in my jeans and t-shirt. I added a can of DEET to my car last week, and i'm seriously thinking about a camel pak. I've also got a bunch of MREs enroute. I am thinking about a first aid kit & a snake bite kit now, too.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Where you hike is a big factor. How far you are going in is another. A 6 mile round trip across the desert requires a different load than a 200 yard walk across the city park.

Out here in the desert everything bites, stings, stabs, or cuts. Except for a few small springs, there is no water. I always carry at least 2 quarts of water per person, a good first aid kit, cell-phone, ham radio, GPS, map case with TOPO and mil-maps of the area, signal mirror and beacon flasher, and my trusty Ruger 9mm. The first aid kit also has an EPPI-injector, just in case of a bad scorpion sting etc. It is all arranged on a full military web belt/suspender set.

If I go out by myself, I believe having the stuff with me is even more important than if I have company. You can always hike out to get help for an injured member, but if you are alone, you may not be able to get out.

Do I take too much? Dunno... what would you leave behind when it will be 102 deg by 3pm, and you are just trying to get back to the jeep with a sprained ankle or worse?

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX.

I carry the following which fits nicely in a day-pack with room to spare for cache swag or an extra sweater or shell:

• two plastic rain ponchos
  • 35' rope,
  • first-aid kit
  • mini-umbrella
  • whistle
  • mirror
  • 2 compasses
  • batteries
  • more batteries
  • mini-binoculars
  • leatherman clone
  • dry socks
  • wearable flashlight
  • Deet
  • cellphone

It doesn't weigh much, surprisingly and I often carry a lumbar CamelBak to take care of the liquids.

Everywhere you go, there ya be..."

[This message was edited by CapnGadget on June 04, 2002 at 09:33 AM.]

Except for Urban/Park type outings, I pretty much always carry the "10 essentials". This is a mountaineering list that was first popularized in the 1930s. You'll see variations of it, but the memory helper that I generally use is:

Mom's - Map

Cafe - Compass

Serves - Sunscreen and Sunglasses

Everyone - Extra Food and Water

Extra - Extra Clothing

Helpings - Headlamp (flashlight)

of

French - Firestarter and Matches

Fries - First aid supplies

and

Ketchup - Knife

This sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't have to weigh much at all. For example, a breathable ultralight water-resistant jacket weighs less than a pound. Put a space blanket, a thermal headband, and an extra pair of socks in the pockets, and you can weather a pretty chilly night.

A 'fire starter' is generally a candle, gas stove, can of sterno, etc., but a couple of tablets from a solid fuel stove weigh almost nothing and will get even wet wood burning in a pinch.

I go lightest on food, a couple of cliff bars or granola bars. As long as I have water, I can go quite awhile without food without serious discomfort.

Over the years, I've pretty much used everything at one time or another.

-jjf

[This message was edited by jfitzpat on June 05, 2002 at 11:09 AM.]

Survival kits are needed.They generaly include the 10 essentials. And are simular to the 72 hr

kits sold around the country and should be small.

I've seen one the size of a travel soap dish.

The one I carry is one in a bag sold by coghlan's

also carry gps,water,lites,spare batteries, in a

mountainsmith lumbar pack Also mine is a work in progress.

Thanks for your comments

LEE ac7kt icon_biggrin.gif

Have you checked out www.ballisticnylon.com? I have one of the survival capsule things shown on the page here...

I think VentureForth had mentioned buying a Camelbak hydration system. I have had several of these in the past and would highly recommend purchasing one of these if you participate in outdoor activities often during the hotter months. The models I'm using now are the Transformer (also listed at the page above) and the "Stealth". The Transformer is really handy because it can carry all the stuff you should need for a day trip as well as 102 oz. of water -- every drop is necessary in most parts of Texas during the summer...gotta love the 150% humidity here... icon_frown.gif The Stealth is ok...has a 72 oz. (I think) reservior but no way to carry gear. Just a nice low-profile hydration system...it has the added effect of cooling you off due to the reservior "sweating" and cooling the back panel, especially if you fill it with ice water.

...and even though it sounds like I work for Camelbak, I don't! icon_smile.gif Just a happy customer!

Happy caching!

(Jumpmaster)

quote:
Originally posted by CapnGadget:

I carry the following which fits nicely in a day-pack with room to spare for cache swag or an extra sweater or shell:

+ two plastic rain ponchos + 35' rope, + first-aid kit + mini-umbrella + whistle + mirror + 2 compasses + batteries + more batteries + mini-binoculars + leatherman clone + dry socks + wearable flashlight + Deet + cellphone

It doesn't weigh much, surprisingly and I often carry a lumbar CamelBak to take care of the liquids.

[This message was edited by CapnGadget on June 04, 2002 at 09:33 AM.]

CapnGadget, sorry if this is a dumb question... but what is a "leatherman clone"??? I don't need the umbrella and rain poncho here in So Cal (at least most of the time!), do I need a leatherman clone? What is it?

SuZ-Q

Don't bother with the kits that come with a razor blade and suction cup. Think about it, the fangs go in an inch or so deep, you have to cut yourself as deep or deeper, then try to extract the venom. You will do more damage to yourself than the snake did. Current treatment for snakebite calls for watching the victim, and generally treating the pain and swelling. They don't give antivenom unless you are having a severe reaction.

Disclaimer: I work in an ICU in the southeastern US, mostly Copperhead bites that I deal with. Not sure about rattlesnakes and scorpions, treatment may differ. See a doctor, but no tourniquets or cutting yourself up, please!

I highly recommend you check out Equipped for some great information on practical survival kits you can assemble yourself for any occasion.

Here's my take on it:

1) Commercial 1st aid kits SUCK! Think about it. The typical kit contains band aids, ointment, and aspirin. Will a band aid really do anything to save your life in a survival situation? It's a convienience item, not a survival necessity.

2) Most commercial survival kits SUCK! They contain things like Jolly Ranchers and fish hooks. How will this ever save your life?

Think about what you do in the woods. What is likely to happen? Go over every possible scenerio in your head and assemble a kit to prepare for that. Might you get lost? Might you get injured? If you get turned around and break your arm I'll bet you'll be glad you packed those little fish hooks huh? Maybe you should put a band aid on it and take an aspirin. Please. Take your commercial kits and throw 'em in a lake.

The 10 essentials is a good place to start and should be in EVERYBODY'S outdoor gear. From there it's a personal thing.

My personal survival kit can provide me with:

1) Shelter

A. space blankets (2ea)

B. para cord

C. emergency poncho

2) Fire

A. mini-Bic lighter (2ea)

B. magnesium block

C. tinder kit

3) Water

A. collapsible cup

B. surgical tubing

C. plastic drop cloth (componants of solar still)

D. Iodine tablets

4) Signaling

A. Items to build fire (see above)

B. USAF issue mini signal mirror

C. whistle

5) Misc. tools

A. Swiss Army knife

B. Mini-maglight

There are other items in my kit but I listed the core items my kit is built around. The whole thing weighs about 2 pounds and stores in a zipped bag which can be attached to a belt, carried on a strap, or put in a pack.

I have been stranded in the woods before but was able to hike out. If it happens again and I can't hike out I want to be able to maximize my chances of survivability.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I took a survival course many years ago, and there is one thing I haven't seen mentioned here that I think is crucial.

Let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back.

Probably 99.9% of the time, this will be a wasted effort, because you'll get in and back with no problems. But in that other .1%, having someone know that you're missing, and about where you can be found, can be a lifesaver.

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Don't forget your pottasium iodate in case of nuclear attack.

I take it that you think all this survival supply stuff is non-sense.

Living in an urban area that has had riots and earthquakes multiple times in my lifetime, and rolling blackouts a year ago (before all the Texas energy folks started going to jail icon_smile.gif), I tend to think anyone who doesn't keep some water, canned goods, and candles/flashlights at their home and office is a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

The Sierra range, especially when approached from the west, has a well deserved reputation as a "mild wilderness". Still, enough people die of exposure each year, that I would pretty much never venture out into it without the essentials.

Back in April, I got in a snow storm with a friend. Old hands, we had almost ditched our fleece earlier in the day. After all, we were only 30 minutes from the car, and another 5 minutes to town... It was a silly, wet, cold, reminder for us. But it was actually pretty serious for a pair of day hikers on the Ernie M. trail. Shorts and cotton t-shirts, hypothermia was a real possiblity.

Again, it depends on what you are used to. If a day hike is a trudge through a shopping mall, you probably don't need supplies to tide you over until you can reach the food court. If you are going to spend the day doing a moderate alpine route near Tuolumne, getting hurt or spending an unexpected night out, without a soul around to call for help, is a real possibility.

Then again, a heck of a lot of people call for help using their cell phones along the Pacific Crest trail. Oddly, "It is getting dark and our feet hurt!" (a real call) is not generally considered an emergency by the county or the NFS... icon_wink.gif

quote:

Don't forget your pottasium iodate in case of nuclear attack.

quote:
Originally posted by jfitzpat:

I take it that you think all this survival supply stuff is non-sense.

I don't know where you got that idea. I also carry a survival kit. And I was serious about the Kio3. If you don't have any then you should consider getting some to keep on hand. If you are survival minded then you would already have some. If some nuclear incident happened, it's going to be too late to go looking for some. You can read about it here: http://www.medicalcorps.org/ki03.html

Seasons matter. If I go out in the summer, I have a first aid kit, water and weather appropriate clothing. If I'm going on a solo Geocaching (or hiking) trip, in the winter I make sure I have enough to survive the night, if I have to.

You never know what is going to happen. We had a case in NJ a few years ago where a outdoor savvy (a frequent leader of hikes for local outdoors clubs) cross country skier, made a wrong turn in a popular state park. He apparently fell into a stream, soaking his clothing and extra clothing. He was found, frozen to death a day later, wrapped in a "survival blanket". He had food, extra clothing and a "survival kit" with him, but all his clothing apparently got wet and it cost him his life

quote:

I don't know where you got that idea. I also carry a survival kit. And I was serious about the Kio3. If you don't have any then you should consider getting some to keep on hand. If you are survival minded then you would already have some. If some nuclear incident happened, it's going to be too late to go looking for some. You can read about it here: http://www.medicalcorps.org/ki03.html

I'm sorry, some states have started stock piling it, and it was a recent topic of debate in California. I thought you might be making a tongue and cheek reference to what is going on here. I meant no disprespect.

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by jfitzpat:

I'm sorry, some states have started stock piling it, and it was a recent topic of debate in California. I thought you might be making a tongue and cheek reference to what is going on here. I meant no disprespect.

-jjf

I'd hate to have to go out during total chaos to try to find where they are stockpiling this stuff. I can't imagine the distribution network working because everone will be busy looking out for number one. Ever see a fight break out in a line for concert tickets? This would be worse. No disrespect taken. What you have in your survival kit depends on what you intend to survive.

For SuziQ:

By leatherman clone I meant that i have a multi-tool like the popular Leatherman series but it is not a real Leatherman, therefore a Leatherman Clone.

A multi-tool is usually based around a pair of pliers but comes with knife blade, screwdrivers, scissors, rasp, bottle opener...the variations are endless. The highend ones can be VERY expensive but they are usually very well made and darn near impossible to break.

Hope that clears it up.

quote:
Originally posted by CapnGadget:

A multi-tool is usually based around a pair of pliers but comes with knife blade, screwdrivers, scissors, rasp, bottle opener...the variations are endless. The highend ones can be VERY expensive but they are usually very well made and darn near impossible to break.

They're really heavy though. Is the weight worth it? I don't want to carry any extra weight if I don't have to.

Jamie