Your Found/Hid Ratio

garytlove

This has been rehashed a few times, but I'll post my thoughts regardless.

It is up to everyone to figure out how many they are willing and able to hide and maintain. If that's a ratio of their find count, that's cool. For me, it's a constant. I can't properly maintain more than 4 or 5 physical caches and none of them are more than 40 miles away. That's a number I've arrived at after about a year of experimentation. My caches are clean, well-stocked, and I can visit them all in one afternoon. Your mileage will vary.

Whether you maintain a ratio or not, just make sure that you can maintain them.

-E

--

N3532.981 W9834.631

I think it's a very good thing to give back to the community by hiding caches, but I don't think the best way to measure that is by the ratio of finds to hides.

I'd rather have 10 well thought out caches than try to maintain the 46 caches that a 5:1 ratio would suggest.

I know there are cachers who can properly maintain 100 caches, but I'm not one of them.

kg6nee

Went on my first find today and haven't hidden any yet so my ratio is 1/0. I just learned about geocaching earlier in the week and am very excited about placing my first cache. I'm reading a lot of posts and getting good ideas for a cache.

As others have mentioned maintaing is a big deal and a concern of the caches that I will place. I agree that the ratio will always be off and that is fine.

I agree, putting a ratio on finds/hides is like a ratio of how many apples you have eaten vs how many kids you have.

Once you find a cache, you owe it no responsibility. Once you place one, it's a different story. I only have 14 finds & 1 hide, and the ratio will without doubt spread exponentially.

There's 3 kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

maybe i am kind of proud of my hides. they are all places that i thought to be cache worthy. they aren't caches just for the sake of racking up numbers.

someone has to hide caches for you to find them. its as simple as that. so why not let that person be you. if you aren't contributing to your local geo-community, then you are only taking.

take it of what it's worth.

Some folks like to hunt them, others like to hide them, some go both ways icon_wink.gif My ratio is now 130 to 1 and I offer no apologies. Here in the Metro Atlanta area there are plenty of caches to hunt, and if anything, a shortage of dedicated hunters. There are several great caches in the area that have not been visited for months. Under those circumstances, I think we need more hunters, not more hiders. Stressing numbers and ratios may also result in a lot of poorly planned and poorly maintained caches. And for me at least, this is not a competitive sport.

FWIW,

CharlieP

Some folks like to hunt them, others like to hide them, some go both ways icon_wink.gif My ratio is now 130 to 1 and I offer no apologies. Here in the Metro Atlanta area there are plenty of caches to hunt, and if anything, a shortage of dedicated hunters. There are several great caches in the area that have not been visited for months. Under those circumstances, I think we need more hunters, not more hiders. Stressing numbers and ratios may also result in a lot of poorly planned and poorly maintained caches. And for me at least, this is not a competitive sport.

FWIW,

CharlieP

quote:
Originally posted by garytlove:

maybe i am kind of proud of my hides. they are all places that i thought to be cache worthy.

Great, then. I assume that:

you obtained permission for each of them from the appropriate authorities

each of them is well-hidden in an interesting place or with an interesting twist

you can maintain each of them, getting to them quickly in case of any problem

they are in good, sturdy containers that will withstand the elements

they have decent stuff inside them

If all of the above are true, then more power to you.

quote:

if you aren't contributing to your local geo-community, then you are only taking.

You might want to consider that an attitude like yours (trying to guilt others into placing lots of caches) tends to contribute to a lot of lousy caches placed without permission and not maintained.

I've done his caches. I have taken people who live 5-8 miles from some of his hides on Chinook pass. They were stoked to get into caching because of his great hides!

Imagine that! A geocacher, helping a local experience stuff that is in his back yard that he didnt even know about.

I'm mostly talking about "Down the Devil Creek"

I have 1 hidden under my name, 3 with the Bryno using his name, and about 28 finds. Some I can't get back to regularly so I don't know how long I'll leave them there, they are just great spots in my opinion and I've gotten good feedback on them. I have plans to hide many more. They will be traditional caches, maybe with a theme. Oh I have such great plans...... 4/28........

Cache you later,

Planet

I'm 25 finds to 6 hides or so. I'm not fond of the ratio thing, but I think it is more important to find a pile FIRST before planting one so you have an idea of what makes a good cache.

Let's say someone has 10 finds. Perhaps they have seen a varied number and types of caches and would then be able to place their first one smoothy and make it a good one.

A guy with 2 finds and 1 plant I would maybe worry about(and watch the logs before going after it first myself).

quote:

Just an observation, but some folks seem to be great at finding but don't want to do any hiding. What is your Found/Hid Ratio? Right now mine is at 60found/12Hid. Thats 5 found for every cache i Plant. How about you?

I thought my ratio was getting a little out of whack so I placed another yesterday. I have 26 finds and 2 hides so far. I don't think this is bad for less than two months of caching.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

It almost seems that the 'ideal' ratio could be measured on a bell curve.

As you begin caching, it is typically best not to hide until you build experience. During this period, your ratio will be X:0.

You then 'give back' by hiding caches to the limit that you can properly maintain. This amount will differ by cacher. During this stage, your find/hide ratio will increase to chest-thumping levels.

Once you reach your limit, your find/hide ratio will drop as you continue to find caches and maintain your level of hides.

Well, I've just about seen it all. Here on the forums, it is a riot!!! Why all the fuss about this and that? Isn't that what the forums are for anyway? To express your opinions on this and that?

Well, here's mine----

Maybe I don't have 459 finds. Maybe I don't have 117 hides. Maybe I don't have 9,378 forum posts. Who cares? I am interested in the fun that Geocaching brings.

I've seen the posts where people are pissed about this and pissed about that, well, like I said, that's what the forums are about. Expressing your opinion. That's fine with me. I do not, in any way, want to step on any one's toes, but it seems to me that there may be a downfall to all of this....

You can call me a "newbie" to geocaching. I've been a member since April 2002, with 22 or 23 finds and 4-5 hides. Forget the forum logs, they are too addictive. I have finds in Va, TN, NC, KY and that's about it.

Then you have the opinions of others with multiple cache finds, multiple hides and et cetera. Here, some (not all or even most) piss and moan about 1/1 caches and "mctoys", along with other rants and complaints, varying from God knows what to God knows what.

See, maybe it's me that is in the crowd that's fallen back a step or two. Here in SW VA, I have a geocache community that I love and respect. Yes, I do see that in a hundred mile range from my hometown, there ARE x- amount of caches hidden by probably the same geocachers. And FOUND by the same. Whoop de doooo!! Who cares. This has been a fun and exciting experience from day one and I plan to keep it that way.

Here's where the pissers and moaners come in>>>>

Pisser #1 has 344 finds in his area (no doubt highly populated, 50 fold to my depressed community), and he/she *****es about so many of whatever, and not enough of this or that.

Now, Moaner #2 has 267 finds and such and has a qualm about not being able to find the cache site without his/her $3,500 dollar item.

I just hope to goodness that I will not fit in the category of pisser 1 or 2, or even any pisser for that matter. Apparently, I have not been on the excursions that you pissers have been on, but with the ones that I HAVE, they have brought satisfaction and gratitude, to say the least.

I guess it goes with the area... More dense the population= the more dense the hide/finds.. Maybe it gets frustrating finding the same old stuff, find after find, but that's not the way it is here in a less dense population.

Maybe in a year or two, I may comprehend what all the hubub is about (after 500 finds) and see why you complain about this and that, but it is all fun, or so I thought...

Now bring in the newbies.... They click on to the forums and see all the griping about this and that, and leaves an impression that geocaching is not really that fun, for the fact that people who have been there, done that, have full detail on what to do and what not to do... Let them decide!!! Let them learn from their own endeavors.

Come on, quit griping about the trivial stuff!!! I don't give a rat's a** how many mctoys or golf balls there are in the next cache I find... Betcha a hundred dollars there will be some mining stickers and other stuff afterward..

BEEP BEEP... CLICK CLICK...WHO CARES???

A ratio isn't really the point.

A basic principle of geocaching is take something out, put something in. This applies the the sport in general, as well as individual cache visits.

Take something out of the sport - enjoyment, family time, new skills, etc.

Put something back into the sport - New caches, positive publicity, educating land managers, mentoring new cachers, organizing a local geocaching association, etc.

Most agree that a newbie should find a few caches before hiding one. I found about 30 before I placed my first.

Most also agree that there isn't much point in hiding a gazillion caches if they're not well thought out and can be maintained properly. Some cachers have a gift for placing cool caches. Those that don't have that gift can get involved in other ways.

Take something out of geocaching, but put something back into it. But not necessarily another cache.

25021_1200.gif

TT120 starting to hide at about your find total is perfect in my book. Just always check your satellite strength before placing a cache. Too many are stick someplace where you really don't get very good readings.

I don't think it's as much of a sport as bowling even. With bowling you keep score and have to practice to be any good. Score doesn't count here and I can take off a month and be just as good as before. Or as bad [:D]

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

TT120 starting to hide at about your find total is perfect in my book. Just always check your satellite strength before placing a cache. Too many are stick someplace where you really don't get very good readings.

I don't think it's as much of a sport as bowling even. With bowling you keep score and have to practice to be any good. Score doesn't count here and I can take off a month and be just as good as before. Or as bad [icon_smile.gif]

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I have hidden 5 and found 64. I agree with many of the responses that the ratio is not important. 3 or the hides I have done are because there were so few in my home town. I am hoping to encourage others in my area by increasing the amount of caches close by. I will probably hide 2 more and then stop. This is because I travel in my line of work and that is about all the caches I can maintain. icon_wink.gif

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

I have hidden 5 and found 64. I agree with many of the responses that the ratio is not important. 3 or the hides I have done are because there were so few in my home town. I am hoping to encourage others in my area by increasing the amount of caches close by. I will probably hide 2 more and then stop. This is because I travel in my line of work and that is about all the caches I can maintain. icon_wink.gif

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

quote:

maybe i am kind of proud of my hides. {snip} if you aren't contributing to your local geo-community, then you are only taking.

take it of what it's worth.

This is a valid point, though not a new one. With 18 finds, I don't have any that I've placed yet, but am currently working on 2 (waiting for park service approval), now that I have an idea of what would make a good one.

However, I think its worth reminding everyone in this thread that there are other ways to give back to the community besides placing caches. For example we've stocked caches that we found empty; have put all the trade items in a cache in ziplocks where we thought there might be a moisture problem; have printed out sheets to attach to travel bugs that give the goal (so cachers know in the spot whether they can help it along); have notified cache owners of problems; have taken the time to upload pics of travel bugs along the way.... These things are nothing special or really commendable. They are just things that we all do to help the geocaching community by trying to make things more enjoyable for other cachers. There are *lots* of ways to do this; not just placing caches.

GoPherStash

... none! Hey, I'm the first down here in southern Brazil which doesn't make finding all that easy. Lots of people are getting interested but to actually get out there and DO it.... well - not so fast.

Some of my caches I might not be able to get back to this year but my idea is to give people something to go after and, if the movement grows, heck... I can also "blow up"the more distant ones or "pass them along" to someone else.

I'd have to travel about 500 miles to find a cache so for the time being I'm at 0:6 (and with some more to hide!!) icon_biggrin.gif

... none! Hey, I'm the first down here in southern Brazil which doesn't make finding all that easy. Lots of people are getting interested but to actually get out there and DO it.... well - not so fast.

Some of my caches I might not be able to get back to this year but my idea is to give people something to go after and, if the movement grows, heck... I can also "blow up"the more distant ones or "pass them along" to someone else.

I'd have to travel about 500 miles to find a cache so for the time being I'm at 0:6 (and with some more to hide!!) icon_biggrin.gif

641 finds/16 hides

I admit it freely ... that's a pathetic ratio, indeed! But in my defense, we have several cachers in our area who basically only hide caches ... and they're very good at it!

I guess the relationship is symbiotic, since sometimes I'm the only one (or one of very few) who goes after their caches ... and just to make sure these guys feel good about themselves, I've made sure that most of the cache I've placed have been totally lame.

Like hiding caches, finding them is a dirty job, but someone has to do it. icon_wink.gif