joedohn's caches

The general consensus is that Joedohn has seemingly fallen off the face of the earth. Why he archived all of his caches (some of the best ones out there) remains a mystery. We have discovered at least some of his caches are still physically remaining, which he had archived back in Nov. & Dec. 2002.

We found another one today where a new cache has been placed about 40' from the original one and it sits there without most anyone knowing about it.

Question is, what should be done with his archived caches since no one has been able to make contact?

Yeah, I too did some of his super boxes! Man, that one on the Wind River...holy smoke. That one deserves a cache. I do hope somebody down there can continue that one.

I'd ask the powers to be about neglected caches. Too bad they're archived...he had a knack for placing great boxes. Similar to EraSeek in my area.

The legend of joedohn! What many folks don't know is that he was one of the most prolific finders of caches and found close to 150 caches back in the early days under the name of jaw2925. I had the pleasure of conversing with him on several occasions and was sorry to see him eventually archive all his caches. He was the epitome of what geaocaching is all about, travelling the countryside in his Volkswagon bus with his dog at his side, exploring new places and going where no cacher had gone before. icon_cool.gif

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

quote:
I vote leave them. They may be listed on another caching website. Also, the few of us that have the coords to the old ones would be disappointed if they weren't there anymore.

Oregone raised a couple of good points here. I never considered the fact that they could be listed elsewhere and I know that they can still be logged even after being archived. AND, if they are archived it wouldn't prevent someone from placing a new cache in the same area.

I just hate to see the old ones laying out there and rotting away without any attention.

Bringing this back to the top in hopes of getting some more votes. So far the majority votes to 'Get someone to adopt the caches'. All good & fine except where a new cache has been placed by others. For the two closest to us, one was virtually trash. It was a plastic box that was broken, wet, and nothing left in it and was thrown in the can. Also a new cache has been placed there. The 2nd one is still there but a new cache has been placed also. Still a question what to do with those?

Has anyone perused the (other geo caching web sites)? I don't even remember what/where they are, but if someone could take a look it could clear up that stumbling block.

If it is proven that they are NOT listed elsewhere, are there any volunteers for adopting the old jd caches nearest you?

I have contacted the powers that be, and I have successfully adopted two of Joedohn’s caches…I have taken responsibility for Oneonta (now called “Triple Falls”) and Angels Library. I will maintain these caches, and check on them if there are any problems.

If you know of a Joedohn cache that physically exists, and is not listed (i.e. Archived) then please contact the geocaching.com staff and ask them to transfer ownership to you…if a cache is in the woods, and is not listed, then it is nothing but litter.

I personally visited Angels Library, and there were no log entries but those prior to it being archived.

Caches that are un-owned, or abandoned are glorified trash. Please adopt them, and help keep them up and keep them in the geocaching community. People can not visit these caches unless they are listed on the web-site.

Just my humble opinion.

Leonidas

I agree. A simple email to your local approver is all it takes to adopt a cache. Once we verify that the original owner is no longer active we can transfer the cache over to you.

TMJ--Admin

Don't mind us, we're just looking for tupperware in this bush.

This is interesting. I don't know anything about the situation, but as an outsider I voted adopt. I couldn't help but think. .. what if something bad happed to this person or he died and a relative archived the caches? Morbid, I know, but it all seems strange! Regardless, I say adopt the caches!

pokeanim3.gif