About Those Pencil Sharpeners

What I've done in most of mine now is take an ordinary eraser-less pencil, cut it in half, and sharpen all 4 tips. That should make them last enough for the first 15 or 20 cachers.

GPComd

Contents under pressure, do not puncture.

(Written on the back of my cycling helmet)

In two of the caches I hid I did the bit with removing the eraser and then leaving a pencil sharpened at both ends.

But, I also put in pencil sharpeners that also came with a pop up eraser. However, I placed them in the cache as trade items. Even posted it as such on the cache page. Never thought anyone would use them to sharpen the log pencil! I couldn't figure out why no one traded for them. I thought they were pretty neat. Now I know why. That's pretty funny.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I'm surprised how many cachers thing the pencil sharpener in a geocache actually is up for grabs.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I hate to admit that early on I took a pencil sharpener from a cache then sat with my ears burning in front of my monitor when two or three cachers later someone mentioned that they couldn't log a cache cuz the pencil was broke.

So I resemble that remark!

--- yrium ---

There is a Great new Invention out...

Works like a charm...

Never Needs Sharpening..

Even inexpensive...

Its Called an INK PEN..... icon_biggrin.gif

I Put 3 or 4 in all my caches...

Never had a problem yet...

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

I put in a couple of pencils sharpened at both ends and hope that future cachers have a pocket knife to sharpen them if need be.

I also keep the log book and pencils in their own ziploc, apart from the tradeables. If did I put a pencil sharpener in that bag, I'd hope finders would realize that it wasn't a tradeable because of where it is.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I bring my own pen whenever I go caching so I know I'll be able to write something. I just got a kick out of those thinking the pencil sharpener was a trade item.

For fun on my next cache I'm going to mount a regular wall mounted pencil sharpener on a dead tree or stump next to the cachesite. Hopefully that will slow down those cachers in need of a pencil sharpener. Or maybe I should make one a travel bug???

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

I hate to admit that early on I took a pencil sharpener from a cache then sat with my ears burning in front of my monitor when two or three cachers later someone mentioned that they couldn't log a cache cuz the pencil was broke.

I bought the 300 geocaching ballpoints the same day I walked up a steep-steep hill only to find a cache that contained no writing utensil.

I'm a little curious about something though, It doesn't freeze in Berzerkeley or Escondildo so what's up with the pencils? I fully agree with their use where temperatures fall outside a certain range where pens might rupture, but you don't live in such a place. Is there something about pencils I've not thought of?

I miss those summer nights in Escondido with Brenda the blonde. If on the off chance you see this Brenda I miss those...um...conversations we used to have.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

I'm a little curious about something though, It doesn't freeze in Berzerkeley or Escondildo so what's up with the pencils? I fully agree with their use where temperatures fall outside a certain range where pens might rupture, but you don't live in such a place. Is there something about pencils I've not thought of?

Pencil stubs are put into micro caches that are just a little bit too small for a full length pen.

On another topic, I have to start saving your Avatars on my computer. Everytime you change to a new one I find that I miss the old one.

--- yrium ---

If you have a Walmart nearby, you can buy a pack of 10 pencils, called Pencil Points. These are the pencils with about 10 plastic pieces inside the plastic pencil, so when the lead gets dull you take it out and place it inside the end of the pencil....then you get a brand new lead out the bottom. That's what I've been putting in my caches, since in the winter time I found pens did freeze.

Shybabe924

=============

If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.

quote:
Originally posted by shybabe924:

If you have a Walmart nearby, you can buy a pack of 10 pencils, called Pencil Points.

I'm with shybabe - in my usual strolls thru the dollar stores for cache booty, I always keep a lookout for an inexpensive package of mechanical pencils. I think I got 10 for a dollar once.

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

Pencil stubs are put into micro caches that are just a little bit too small for a full length pen.

You could, if you were a rich cacher, use the refills designed for such things as the Cross Micropen. They're still a little expensive for the purpose at the moment at a buck-and-a-quarter per, but over time the price will go down. These are too long for film canisters, but would work well in Altoids-type tins.

Alternatively, you might be able to find small (1.5" long) pens in lots of interesting colors in the "girly-stuff" aisle at your local toy or department store; I know they were all the rage with high-school girls 15 years ago.

Finally, you can just take a used Bic pen with only a couple inches of ink left in it, disembowel it and chop off the empty part of the tube, and wrap it in tape to make it easier to grip.

warm.gif

Like that idea about the Pencil Points, will have to look for those the next time i go to walmart. Ive only hid 2 caches, put in a pen and pencil in each (no sharpener). Winter will be coming along in a few months so this will be a great idea. BTW, like others here, i allways bring my own pen too!

quote:
Originally posted by Team StitchesOnQuilts:

Another place you might try is Oriental Trading. They have the pop-a-point pencils in various colors.

http://www.oriental.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=5422&prmenbr=991&merchant_rn=991&PREFIX=IN&CURRENCY=USD&KIT=I&GROUP=N&CASE=0

Shannah

Yep, those are the pencils! At walmart there are 10 pencils for 1.50 or a bigger pack is available.

=============

If life gives you lemons, stuff them in your shirt to make your boobs look bigger!

quote:
Originally posted by Team StitchesOnQuilts:

Another place you might try is Oriental Trading.

I've seen Oriental Trading brought up a few times in these forums, and it's occurred to me to point out that if you live in a moderately-sized city, there's a very good chance that there's a place near you that carries the same sort of items at the same sort of prices. You can save shipping and support local merchants at the same time.

In Fort Wayne, the place to go is Universal Merchandise; they have a $5 minimum purchase, but that's not hard to accomplish. Look in your yellow pages under "Carnival Supplies - Wholesale" to see if you have a similar place near you.

warm.gif