Criminal Activity

Criminal

First, I’m NOT advocating this in any way, shape, or form. I’m curious about exactly how devious the minds of geocachers are.

Goal: Place a physical cache (ammo can or similar) in a national forest, where such caches have been previously pulled. How do you do it?

I’ll go first. Place the cache, very well hidden, in the forest where no-one is likely to ever stumble across it by accident. Then place a cache somewhere “allowed” with the coordinates for the “bonus” cache above. Log both on the website with the “allowed” coordinates.

.......really, how do you think I got saddled with this nickname anyway? icon_wink.gif

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

First, I’m NOT advocating this in any way, shape, or form...

Why, of course you're not! icon_rolleyes.gif

Discussion begets action; if not by you, then someone with less respect for the guidelines of this website. icon_frown.gif

Worldtraveler

Are you suggesting the website should censor this discussion? Imagination can be a dangerous thing.....

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

I’ll go first. Place the cache, very well hidden, in the forest where no-one is likely to ever stumble across it by accident. Then place a cache somewhere “allowed” with the coordinates for the “bonus” cache above. Log both on the website with the “allowed” coordinates.

I disapprove of this kind of behavior. I would make it a multi-cache with the first stage in a legal area and only allow one log instead of two.

We have dozens of caches here in the Deschutes National Forest...

Cool idea for the covert co-ords, though icon_smile.gif

I was thinking it would be neat to make an IRC "bot" (automated response program) to handle cache placement and logging... you'd tell it where your cache is, description, hints et.c and it would allow people to search by location and log their visits. All very covert to most web users...

quote:

Are you suggesting the website should censor this discussion?...

No, I'm questioning the purpose of it. What good will come of it?

It's kind of like asking, "How would you circumvent the copywrite protection on certain software?" in my opinion.

Whether the admins choose to close/delete the discussion is up to them.

Worldtraveler

quote:

"...Are you suggesting the website should censor this discussion? Imagination can be a dangerous thing..."

Its clear that you're fully aware that what you're suggesting goes against what would be considered 'responsible' geocaching by those who administer this website (and, regardless of your disclaimer, you *are* suggesting it by initiating the 'how to' discussion). To then wrap the idea in the cloak of 'imagination' as an attempt to put those who would object on the defensive (when it is YOUR position, not their's, that's against the ropes) is also poor form.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:

I disapprove of this kind of behavior. I would make it a multi-cache with the first stage in a legal area and only allow one log instead of two.

lol... I agree with cachew_nut...

Doug

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

quote:

"...Are you suggesting the website should censor this discussion? Imagination can be a dangerous thing..."

Its clear that you're fully aware that what you're suggesting goes against what would be considered 'responsible' geocaching by those who administer this website (and, regardless of your disclaimer, you *are* suggesting it). To then wrap the idea in the cloak of 'imagination' as an attempt to put those who would object on the defensive (when it is YOUR position, not their's, that's against the ropes) is also poor form.

Where did I suggest anything? Are you going to define "responsible" for everyone?

Lighten up! It's a question!

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Read sentance #2

I wasn't suggesting or advocating anything. People are going to fall into two groups on this. The first see the tongue-in-cheek humor, and second, the thought police who would rather we keep the topics pure and sweet.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

...I wasn't suggesting or advocating anything.

What about this?

quote:
Goal: Place a physical cache (ammo can or similar) in a national forest, where such caches have been previously pulled. How do you do it?

You clearly stated a goal contrary to the guidelines of this website, and you asked "How do you do it?"

quote:
People are going to fall into two groups on this. The first see the tongue-in-cheek humor, and second, the thought police who would rather we keep the topics pure and sweet.

First, there was no suggestion of tongue-in-cheek humor in your original or subsequent posts. Your assertion of such now is less than convincing.

Second, I don't know your thoughts, nor would I attempt to police them. I was responding to your words, taking them at face value since there was no indication they were intended otherwise.

Worldtraveler

quote:
There have been several threads that I hope park authorities never read. You just added another.

If so many park authorities weren't so tight-arsed about Geocaching, there wouldn't be threads like this.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...If so many park authorities weren't so...

I don't like the policies against geocaching on public lands either, and I've ranted about it on several occasions; but do you agree that requesting suggestions for anarchy on this forum while thinly veiling it with a disclaimer is not in the best interest of geocaching?

Worldtraveler

Troll? When Snazz posed his ammo box question I laughed. Now you'll label me a troll? Geeze is right! Come on people; go buy a sense of humor! Game, remember? Where are your collective hairlines? You really shouldn’t stress so much, it’ll make your hair fall out. Relax, I’m asking a question. How devious are we? If the question offends you then move along. But to attack me for asking it? My, aren’t we quick to judge negatively….

Who among us will decide what is in the “best interest” of geocaching? Somebody jump in here and volunteer, you’re so much smarter than I.

DISCLAIMER: The following is sarcasm (for those to inane to know better).

I’m SO glad there are elite geocachers to police the forums for us. God forbid any original ideas or differing opinions actually get published!

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

Troll? When Snazz posed his ammo box question I laughed. Now you'll label me a troll?

Ah, no. icon_smile.gif You a troll? No. Please point out where I said YOU were a troll. Your POST was an obvious troll, and i didnt say it was not funny. After all I did say it was OBVIOUS.

Mr. Snazz's post was just as obvious (well, to some of us anyway....)

icon_smile.gif

66427_2400.gif

Oh.........OK.....sorry.....too much coffee...... icon_redface.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Still, nobody chimed in with their devious thoughts.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

Oh.........OK.....sorry.....too much coffee...... icon_redface.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Still, nobody chimed in with their devious thoughts.

We are humbled by your deviousness.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

There have been several threads that I hope park authorities never read. You just added another.

Park authorities do read some of these threads. The Desolation Wilderness Ranger/Manager told me that he has read that thread, in particular, since I had contacted him and he is an occasional geocacher. He called me to let me know if what I had posted was accurate regarding his position on the illegality of geocaching in wilderness areas.

Keep in mind: The internet is an open-season media. icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif

quote:
You are what you post
icon_wink.gif

David Berne