Chandra Cache, Too Creepy?

ikobi

quote:
Originally posted by Pote:

I left the forums alone 2 weeks ago because I got sick of several posters and their "I'm right and I'll beat it into everyone" attitudes. I thought maybe I needed a break ....

Perhaps RadDad is the one who needs to take a break.

All that's necessary to say is: I think it's a bad idea rather than "poor excuse for a human being you are...". Sheesh.

And Perfect Tommy makes very good points... the passage of time changes the way sites of war/death/tragedy are viewed.

My opionion: if the cacher is a Levy family friend or has a direct connection to Chandra and/or knew she was a geocacher...then go for it. Otherwise, icon_rolleyes.gif hold off and see if you still think a cache there is a good idea in a year or so.

CB

------------------------

41742_200.jpg

I'm new here, be gentle.

[This message was edited by cachebaby on May 30, 2002 at 08:30 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Dep&Uno&Co:

Ikobi: I personally think that it would depend on how you handled it and the type of cache you placed.

This is absolutely correct. There are many who believe that where a person passes on in a tragic way is where the spirit remains. Could it be possible to use a cache to bless the ground rather than capitalize on it? I think so. Ground Zero is just such an example. Those victims passed only 9 months ago and the recovered remains are far away, yet from all over the world people come to honor and pay tribute, not to dwell on the inconcievable horror that occurred so recently. Take a look at the WTC-911 cache and tell me that's disrespectful or ghoulish.

As a suggestion, you may also leave a physical cache in taste. I have a cache, Blue Springs Blessed Bounty which contains a rosary blessed in Bethlehem. It is there for cachers to observe a spiritual moment if they like.

If this cache is done with taste and respect, I think that the family would be honored at our efforts to immortalize their little girl. There can be no mention of the assailant or the crime; those memories must perish. Simply that a beautiful little girl passed on here, Please observe a moment of silence and reflection. Perhaps include a blessing or a prayer to be read aloud, with clues to her resting place so visitors can pay last respects. Perhaps Chandra had a favorite lullaby. A cache could have people from around the globe singing her favorite lullaby or prayer over her resting place for years to come.

You simply have to have the right heart to place such a cache.

I had a long rant full of quotes from this thread here, but have deleted it as it really wasn't constructive, and more a defense of myself, which frankly is useless.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I agree with Criminal, when he wrote:

quote:
Wasn't one of the purposes of this sport is to take people to interesting places they might not have otherwise gone to? Done tastefully I think it's a good idea.

I was in Baltimore last week when the news story broke. The first thing I did after seeing the reports was to look at a map of the area to see where the park was. Doing so showed me that it's a fairly big park -- much larger than the news reports I saw implied.

If I would have had net access, the next thing I would have done would have been to see if there were any caches in the park (there weren't). If I had, and there were, I'd have skipped the six caches I had planned for that day, and gone to do the one in Rock Creek Park.

Why?

I've always been a current events junkie... ever since junior high school when my social studies teacher encouraged us to participate in the 1984 Washington State primary caucuses (we couldn't vote, but we could influence.) Ever since then, I've had a strong urge to visit the sites of significant news stories.

I live so as to not have many regrets, but one of the biggest of the past few years (and it'll seem petty to some of you, I'm sure) was that I was too busy to travel 30 miles to watch the WTO protests in Seattle.

So for me, last week, if there had been a cache in Rock Creek Park, it would have taken me ''to interesting places (I) might not have otherwise gone to.'' As others have written, I don't see this as any different than cemetery caches, the WTC observers, or these caches:

Dead Man's Hill

Ferguson's Folly

Famous Last Words

Colonel Ebey's Time Capsule

Tabloid Tombstone

Eternal Victory (travel bug)

Virtual Cache Mania IV - Texas Tourism

South Downs Epic 1

Ed's Place

I don't see how this is any more creepy than any other memorial for someone who's passed away. Chandra wasn't a political leader, nor did she die on the battlefield, so a statue or dedicated monument wouldn't be appropriate given her comparatively low key status in life. Why wouldn't a geocache be appropriate?

And, putting the Chandra Levy issue aside, this park really should have a geocache in it -- it surprised me that a park this size didn't.

"If a boy has enough intelligence, he ought to go into the ministry, except that if when he enters college he is given to carousing, drinking, and wenching, then in that case he should enter the law." - Harvard Student Review, 1796

What a (culturally) fascinating series of responses to the question. To clarify my thoughts, this was to be virtual cache and, yes, my thought was that you would go to the final site to pay your respects. I don't think I will place even a virtual cache, though, because of the strong feelings and because, I think, it is too soon.

If you are interested, though, click below DC map for Chandra Levy Case

I have found that the best way to sway opinion (RadDad and criminal) is through well thought out sarcastic humor.

Rather than just ranting and raving you opinion, use some humor to show how obviously silly or ludicrous the other person's point of view seems to you. icon_biggrin.gif

(I love the quote about the man who's sheep fell into a ditch on the Sabbath, as it illustrates in a comical and satirical way how silly their opinion about this "law" was. icon_cool.gif )

Off-original subject, I wonder what Dad really meant when he said, "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged"? and the point of the measure by which you judge others will be the measure by which you are judged?

Man, if that means wht I think it means, I am shooting for maximum leniency and tolerance in my "judging of others" actions, opinions, statements, posts, etc.

But I'm sure RadDAD is fixin' to explain it to me in his terms.

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

I have found that the best way to sway opinion (RadDad and criminal) is through well thought out sarcastic humor.

Rather than just ranting and raving you opinion, use some humor to show how obviously silly or ludicrous the other person's point of view seems to you. icon_biggrin.gif

(I love the quote about the man who's sheep fell into a ditch on the Sabbath, as it illustrates in a comical and satirical way how silly their opinion about this "law" was. icon_cool.gif )

Off-original subject, I wonder what Dad really meant when he said, "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged"? and the point of the measure by which you judge others will be the measure by which you are judged?

Man, if that means wht I think it means, I am shooting for maximum leniency and tolerance in my "judging of others" actions, opinions, statements, posts, etc.

But I'm sure RadDAD is fixin' to explain it to me in his terms.

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

Wow, I thought this was dead and buried. I attempted humor in the beginning but.......

sorry to all

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................