Eligibility for hiding caches - a test

Some people have suggested a requirement of 20 (or so) finds before someone is allowed to hide a cache. While it's usually a good idea to find a few first, it always doesn't guarantee that the person will place a quality cache. In another thread Mtn-man jokingly said that perhaps they should instead take a 20 question test. So here is my version (with tongue firmly planted in cheek):

1. It's OK to place food in caches if:

a) It's well wrapped

:D it can withstand extremes of temperatures

C) it tastes good

d) All of the above

e) None of the above

2.If you are placing a cache on private property

make sure you:

a) do it late at night so nobody sees you

:D camoflage it well so the owner won't

stumble on it by accident

c) ask permission

3. An admin has failed to approve your cache as posted, so you:

a) post a note in the forums ranting about how unfair the approvers are.

:D call Jeremy at home and discuss it with him.

c) Try to work with the approver to determine a way to make it acceptable.

4. When choosing a cache container:

a) make sure its cheap in case its stolen

B) make sure its easy to open

c) make sure it's solid, watertight and an appropriate size.

5. The best places to hide caches are:

a) in garbage strewn lots under a sheet of

rotten plywood

B) next to railroad tracks, bridges or

military installations

c) in an area that others may find

interesting

6. When choosing trade items for your cache:

a) always use broken toys from the bottom of

your kids toy chest since its all about the hunt anyway.

B) dump discards from your junk drawer in the

into the cache

c) thoughtfully chose items that might be of interest to adults and children

7. When using old food containers as cache containers always:

a) wipe the inside clean with your t-shirt

B) shake out the crumbs

c) run it through several diswhasher cycles and soak it in bleach, Oxy Clean or baking soda for a few days.

8.After placing your cache you should:

a) leave it be, it will take care of itself

B) visit it at least once a year

c) visit it every few months, or if someone reports a problem.

9. If a visitor reports a problem with your cache:

a) post a note asking that the next visitor fix it.

B) let it go. Some people actually like caches with soaked log books and 2 inches of slimy water inside.

c) Visit the site at the next possible opportunity to check on the cache

10. If your state park implements rules regarding cache placement, you should:

a) Ignore them. Rules are for fools.

B) place a multi with the first leg outside the park

c) Follow the rules

11. If your 1 difficulty cache has several consectuive "not founds" you should:

a) Ignore it. They were probably newbies

B) Ask someone who found it before to check on it for you.

c) Promptly check for yourself to see if its still there.

12. If you choose not to replace your missing cache:

a) Leave it active so others can still enjoy the hunt

B) Disable it and leave it that way for at least 2 years.

c) Archive the cache

13. If your local park bans geocaching:

a) screw 'em and place your cache anyway

B) try to discuss the benefits of geocaching with the park manager

14. When placing a cache deep in the forest:

a) use a micro and hide it so well, people have to turn over every rock and log to find it.

B) hide it well enough so it won't be accidently discovered, but so a geocacher can find it.

15. When placing a geocache in a popular city park:

a) use a big ammo box, stuffed full of goodies

B) use a PVC pipe, or morter shell

B) use a small cache container, or micro and hide it carefully.

16. When placing a cache in an environmentally sensitive area you should:

a) walk on your tip-toes

B) forget about it and look elsewhere

17. If you notice social paths and trampled plants around your cache you should:

a) leave it. It will make it easier for others to find it.

B) post a note on your cache page asking people to be careful.

c) move the cache to an area with more durable surfaces.

18. If you find a denned bear in the cave where you placed your cache you should:

a) hide there with a camera and take pictures of the look on people's faces when they see the bear.

B) grab a stick and drive the bear out of your cave.

c) disable the cache until the bear's left the den for the season.

19. Your encrypted clue should contain:

a) Important information about parking, trespassing issues and special equipment that might be required.

B) Several paragraphs, describing in detail which trails to take to get to the cache.

c) Information that will help narrow down the search area if the finder is having problems.

20. When placing caches on vacation:

a) Make sure its placed in an interesting spot

B) Ask local Geocachers if they mind

c) just don't do it.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 02, 2003 at 11:08 AM.]

I know this is tongue in cheek, and most folks would say "duh, these are so obvious...." But in the two months I've been approving caches, I've already seen caches that break 13 out of the 20 correct answers in this test. One of these was the "vacation cache" discussed in the other thread. Brian's other 7 questions deal with ongoing maintenance issues which aren't a problem at the time of the original cache placement. That's all in one state, in a two month period -- caches with food in them, caches placed on private property without permission, caches placed in a park that has a permit process which wasn't followed, caches in plastic bags instead of containers, caches placed 30 feet from active railroad tracks, etc. etc. Folks would be amazed at the caches which never see the light of day here on the site.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

quote:
Keystone, it's good to hear that type of stuff. Keep feepding us situations...they tend to be humorous...

I recall reading about a proposed virtual that was a rotting carcass. Also a cache placed in an old sneaker. NJ Admin and Mtn-man have some good stories and I'm sure Jeremy has a ton.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Keystone, it's good to hear that type of stuff. Keep feepding us situations...they tend to be humorous...

I really, really wish that the admins could share more of the crazy cache pages that are submitted. (A recent favorite was, "go see this movie and to log a find, send me an e-mail telling me what you liked best about the movie.") Generally, however, we just deal with the issues privately by communicating with the cache placer. No need to embarrass anyone publicly. We do our best to be polite and professional. Some days that is easier said than done.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Some recent ones:

Go to the coordinates and email me what's in the tree. Answer:sneakers

Look up these coordinates on a map. To log a find, email me the name of this island.

Sure they sound pretty funny, but the truth is, in the time it takes to explain to one guy why I archived his gladware cache full of ammo and condoms buried inside a railroad tunnel that runs through a national park, I could have approved 20 caches submitted by guys like BrianSnat. I feel bad that I might not even get a chance to approve a good cache for a day or two because of the time spent on caches that should never have been submitted.

It'd be nice if more people utilized some common sense when it came to placing caches.

Just last weekend on a road trip to Columbus Ohio at least two of the caches ended up being on private property. (one with a "NO TRESSPASSING" sign right in your face at the parking area).

Both of them appeared to be vacation-type caches to me.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

What is the motivation behind posting a cache that shouldn't be approved? What do they get out of it? I've only hidden two, and I've taken days to find the best spot that offers a challenge to the seeker and also shows off a particular feature of the area that may not be that obvious. The other one was a great spot and the original cache had been archived. It's my way of showing off my secret places. And dammit, it's supposed to be fun!

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

Will Durant

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

So where's the key, Brian? I mean, if I get all the answers right then the letters correspond to numbers that lead to a cache, right?

RIGHT?

("Walk on your tip-toes." HA!)

Yeah it leads to a cache that is near a railroad track, in an unwashed carboard ice cream container, full of Mcdonalds toys and tuna sandwiches.

What it all means

18-20 correct: You can approve your own caches

15-17 correct: Your cache must go through an approver

10-14 correct: Two admins must approve your your cache

5-9 correct: Your cache must be approved by Jeremy.

0-4 correct: Try golf

Just a suggestion but why not take something like this test and make it an entry forum for the cache ie the placer of said cache has to click off items on a list to be able to submit the cache to be approved and the submitted cache could have this checked off list plus their entry included to the appover(s).

This seems like it would help the person placing the cache with a visible check list and also help the approvers with what is checked off list of this cache consists of this.

Kind of like the placing faq but make where the placers has to check off these items.

Yes I know this would slow down the placement of caches to be entered to be apporoved but I think this would help beat into placers head what/where/how not to be done with a cache.

Like I said just my suggestion.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

~Milamber

"Abg nyy gubfr jub jnaqre ner ybfg"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

What it all means

0-4 correct: Try golf

Uh oh... Now I'm beginning to wish I'd traded differently at all those caches. When I think of all the golf balls I could have had...

Anybody know where I can trade a Garmin GPS V for a set of clubs?

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by MilamberDragon:

Just a suggestion but why not take something like this test and make it an entry forum for the cache ie the placer of said cache has to click off items on a list to be able to submit the cache to be approved and the submitted cache could have this checked off list plus their entry included to the appover(s).

quote:
I think this is an excellent idea. Even if they only look at the checklist once, at least it can make people aware of placement isuues they might not know of. I'm sure there are many caches placed by people who have never read any guidelines.

This seems like it would help the person placing the cache with a visible check list and also help the approvers with what is checked off list of this cache consists of this.

Kind of like the placing faq but make where the placers has to check off these items.

Yes I know this would slow down the placement of caches to be entered to be apporoved but I think this would help beat into placers head what/where/how not to be done with a cache.

Like I said just my suggestion.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

~Milamber

"Abg nyy gubfr jub jnaqre ner ybfg"

eyes.GIF

"The fertilizer has hit the ventilator"