Geocaching news story...

A couple of months ago a San Antonio news station did a news story on geocaching. I've finally gotten around to encoding it. It features several local geocachers from Austin and San Antonio. The reporter put an almost negative spin on it of course. If it was portrayed as a healthy harmless sport it wouldn't be interesting. The story was two 2 minute segments.

If you'd like to check them out, see:

Geocache Story One

and

Geocache Story Two.

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

Took about a minute each to download the .mov files so keep that in mind when viewing these news bits. I downloaded on a T1 line. Plan on quite a bit more time for dial-up. It was interesting to see geocaching in other parts of the country. I think she (the reporter) did a good job. It was good though that she conveyed the seriousness of breaking laws, traspassing, etc. Overall if I were to give it a grade on A-F scale I would give a B+. Thanks for the find icon_smile.gif

Kirk out.

edited to include download speed...

Thanks for putting this up Team Bohica.

Hmm... now why do you think the reporter wanted to go on that particular Geocache? Makes for some sensationalist headlines (caching on private property and Indian burial grounds no less)and will surely provoke negative responses from more park rangers and the native American community.

At LEAST she spent a little time talking about some of the positive aspects such as CITO.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

The way they mentioned CITO, was as if, the Geocachers there only did it AFTER the cop came along...

...but in the end, if people want to be informed, the sites will do it. Do you think sites are enough? How much percent of the world uses internet?

______________________________________________ Kanto

~lucien.o

Well there is a lot of information to be said for geocaching, and to get this into a couple of 2-3 minute spots on live news is pretty overwhelming. For a live broadcast, this looked fairly balanced and tried to touch on all the concerns as well as the benefits. The reporter's tone was upbeat about the sport which she could have easily put a downbeat tone and easily cause a very negative perspective.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by Search1128:

Took about a minute each to download the .mov files so keep that in mind when viewing these news bits. I downloaded on a T1 line. Plan on quite a bit more time for dial-up.

Yeah, I know they're kinda large. I tried bumping their size down a bit more but was unhappy with the video/audio quality. I may try again to reduce the size.

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Hmm... now why do you think the reporter wanted to go on that particular Geocache? Makes for some sensationalist headlines (caching on private property and Indian burial grounds no less)and will surely provoke negative responses from more park rangers and the native American community.

At LEAST she spent a little time talking about some of the positive aspects such as CITO.

I'm in the second segment with hubby and a friend. She didn't "choose" the cache. The pair of cachers who took her out the first day were "blissfully unaware" it was on private property. She found out it was "illegal" when we stopped to chat with a Park Ranger the next day at a LEGAL cache! The cache owners/adopters have now moved it to a legal spot in the park (which, I might add, made it a MUCH better cache!) shortly after the spots aired.

I must have talked her ear off and I got what, maybe 10 words on tape? icon_redface.gif Oh well ... my 15 seconds of fame ended up being 10. 5 more seconds for caching! WooHOO! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
... I can quit any time I like ... really, I CAN!!

Candy (Moosiegirl)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

quote:
Originally posted by Moosiegirl:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

I'm in the second segment with hubby and a friend. She didn't "choose" the cache. The pair of cachers who took her out the first day were "blissfully unaware" it was on private property. She found out it was "illegal" when we stopped to chat with a Park Ranger the next day at a LEGAL cache! The cache owners/adopters have now moved it to a legal spot in the park (which, I might add, made it a MUCH better cache!) shortly after the spots aired.

I must have talked her ear off and I got what, maybe 10 words on tape? icon_redface.gif Oh well ... my 15 seconds of fame ended up being 10. 5 more seconds for caching! WooHOO! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
... I can quit any time I like ... really, I _CAN_!!

Candy (Moosiegirl)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

Ok, then that is all fair and good. icon_smile.gif But too bad she didn't mention about the cache being moved. It just seems to me the slant in the story shows cachers as intentionally wanting to break laws or mindlessly harm the environment.

I haven't been doing this very long but that sure isn't the sense I've gotten from anyone yet.

You are still owed 4.5 seconds of fame!

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."