Poll: Where did you hear about Geocaching.

mcb

I knew what GPS was and what it could do for a few years before I found this website. But that was back in the days of SA on. icon_frown.gif Then one day in late August-early Speptember 2001 I was wandering around online on GPS related websites. I kept on seeing this geocaching thing mentioned as a use for a GPS. Decided to follow the link... And the rest is history.

rdw

I knew what GPS was and what it could do for a few years before I found this website. But that was back in the days of SA on. icon_frown.gif Then one day in late August-early Speptember 2001 I was wandering around online on GPS related websites. I kept on seeing this geocaching thing mentioned as a use for a GPS. Decided to follow the link... And the rest is history.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I wonder whatever became of Berkely Breathed?

Well, I found the following on his official web site. They say he stopped the strip in 1995, and it sounds like he took an early semi-retirement:

quote:
Since 1992, Berkeley has designed a greeting card and gift ensemble collection for American Greetings, featuring his familiar cartoon characters such as Opus, Bill the Cat and Milquetoast.

Berkeley's writing has been featured in numerous publications including Life, Boating, and Travel and Leisure among others.

Berkeley lives in Southern California with his wife, wildlife photographer and psychotherapist, Jody Boyman, their daughter Sophie and four rescued female mutts. He enjoys catching lizards and spelunking with blindfolds.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

flyingopus.gif

Visit my Buddhist Reading Room.

I work for a newspaper and saw a story about geocaching and geocaching.com that came across the wire. Read it, put it in my paper and thought it sounded like a lot of fun, plus it would give me something to do with my eTrex.

I logged onto the site, saw that there were a few caches around here and voila!

A new excuse for going out into the desert, plus hiding caches and travel bugs really sounded cool!

On one of our club's (SoCalClubXterra) Xcursions, a couple of members took out their GPSr's and searched for a geocache. Fascinated me but it wasn't months later and a visit to the geocaching homepage that convinced me to buy a Vista.

Have GPS, Will Travel.

It seems like I remember seeing a TV show about it over a year ago. I remember (I think) some caching in the dessert along some old real treasure hunting routes from the 1880's. I think it was in an environment like Arizona, or Utah or something like that. It was a long time ago. No geocaching yet, though.

I bought my Handspring Visor last August, and I've not been separated from it since. As time went on, I started looking at accessories, and was really eager to get a GPS for it so I could take it flying with me. I mean, the $150 Magellan Companion was FAR less expensive, even with fully registered aviation software than a committed system. So, I bought me the Magellan Companion for Christmas this last year.

Not flying a lot, I remember just before buying it about geocaching. I can't even remember how I knew to look up geocaching.com. Maybe it was the Force. Maybe it was mentioned somewhere. But somehow, I had the words geocaching.com in my head. I typed it in, and here I am now!

Venture Forth, out to the wild, wet forest...

I was riding on a plane talking with the person next to me about how I broke my leg. I had broke it on a bicycle tour and he handed me a USA Today article with a list of great bicycle tours. A near by article was about Geocaching and it caught my attention. I knew I would not be doing any bicycle touring for a while. Well I guess the rest is history. (I do have about 1000 miles of bicycle touring scheduled for this summer)

Bruce