What are some innovative ways you've signed a logbook?

So far, I've used a charred twig when a pencil was too far back at the car, and dried out wet sheets with a cigarete lighter to write on them. Lets hear some stories about the strange, funny ways you've logged in when the old pen and paper just won't work.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

I found a cache with no pencil and used the lit end of the cigar I was smoking to sign the book.

Another time, I used a twig dipped in mud.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I heard there was a guy in Utah that sawed off his arm with his Leatherman to sign the log. Just joking icon_wink.gif I've felt like signing blood on some of those 3-4 star terrain caches.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Well, my story is one of failure.

I was riding my bike and found a penless micro. With no way to log this cache in the middle of a city park, I figured I could find a misplaced pen lying somewhere nearby.

I searched and searched and amazingly found a broken pencil! I picked it up and went back toward the cache, only to notice this broken pencil did not have any lead. I was essentially holding a wooden, pencil-shaped tube. icon_mad.gif

Jamie

Yes, I've done the muddy stick trick once in a pinch. I have also used self-adhesive labels designed and printed by me for logs. All I have to do is add a date to the label. I usually pre-date them before the I go out caching for the day. Preprinted on the label are my Geo-name and my profile graphic. These are perfect for micro caches because using those little pencils can be a pain.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

We have two letterboxing-type stamps so if there is no pencil, we can at least stamp our trademark shamrock or elf stamp. Prior to getting the stamps, I've written with twigs, large sharpie markers, crayons and highlighters.

Leaving a hamster also works well to show others that we've visited a cache. But not for micros, where lack of a writing utensil is most common. For micros we are about to launch a new alternative to hamstercaching.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Leaving a hamster also works well to show others that we've visited a cache. But not for micros, where lack of a writing utensil is most common. For micros we are about to launch a new alternative to hamstercaching.

You can always leave part of the hamster inside the cache. It will prove you there and also has the benefet of saving you $$$ on hamsters. You can probably get 6-8 hamster parts out of one hamster. Be sure to bring something to cauterize the area you sliced off, because you don't want the poor thing to bleed to death.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Saving $$$$ on hamsters is not an issue. We have a daddy hamster and a mommy hamster, and they do what hamsters do best. So do their offspring. And that, above all else, explains why our geocaching find rate has increased exponentially. It took from mid-May until Labor Day to get from 300 finds to 400 finds, but only 7 weeks to get from 400 to 500 (expected next weekend). We just can't find homes for the little cuties fast enough! Lately, we've been leaving two (of the SAME SEX) in caches we really liked (and were large enough), and also we leave one now in the intermediate stages of multicaches (except for virtual stages).

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.