food in the cache

Planet

This is a friendly icon_rolleyes.gifreminder. I went to Devil's Treasure in Connecticut yesterday and someone had placed a can of fish filets in mustard sauce in the cache and the cache container was then chewed by a wild animal. Maybe not a big wild animal but the cache was ruined, and the contents were strewn about. I notified the cache hider that they need a new container. This cache had been around for a long time too. So please, even if it is in a can, animals have a much keener sense of smell than humans do, their survival depends on it, so don't place food of any kind in a cache. Not even something that might smell like food. It's along hike to replace that cache. And coyote and black bear sightings are becoming more frequent around here what with all the new construction forcing them out of their habitats. We confiscated the fish filets, but don't expect us to eat them!

Thanks, and cache you later,

Planet

You didn't eat canned fish in mustard that had been sitting out in the elements for an unknown amount of time, placed there by someone you don't know? But why? icon_wink.gif

When people leave things like that, I always wonder if they really think someone will find that cache one day and be like "Wow! Someone FINALLY left something I like! *opening can, gobbling down mustard fish* MMMM! I love geocaching! *slobber*"

*shudder* icon_razz.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's WEBCAM >==--

Total agree ... especially about things that have a scent ... might smell like food ... or something the critters might just want to investigate. Lost two cache containers to "Mint flavored floss" (go figure) and a scented candle.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

When I first started caching, I left a few homemade scented candles in caches. I know better than to do that now.

I have very recently left Powerbar gel in caches. Some would argue that its not a food. I certainly can't smell it, its in a sealed packet, but that doesn't mean animals can't... What do you folks think about it?

snazzsig.jpg

I removed potpourri (a wedding or shower favor?!) and sealed packages of nuts/trailmix from a container.

If you're digging around in your car or totebag for something to leave... try coins or a dollar bill. Skip the lip balm (scented or no), Tic Tacs/Juicy Fruit, and matchbooks.

So... how about mothballs ...won't that keep the deer away?

------------------------

icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SNIFTER:

Placed a cache"Jock and Sox" last week and every item in the cache has a chocolate bar attached. Sorry guys but at least over here we CAN and DO leave food.

I checked your profile and didn't see the cache you are referring to. It shows the last cache you hid was placed at the end of January of this year.

So, what, is it like 70 degrees F over there every day or something? I can't imagine many places where you can leave a box full of chocolate and not have it melt, rot, mold, or be torn up by animals - here in the US, that is.

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

Regardless of where you live or whether or not a food item would survive the elements, who IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would actually EAT something they FOUND in a cache...?!? Potential spoilage aside, you've absolutely NO idea who planted the food item or what they (or someone else) may have DONE to it.

'SNIFTER' give your head a shake! icon_eek.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on September 05, 2002 at 12:14 PM.]

I went last week and found a bag of microwave popcorn in a new cache. It had only been hidden the week before but it looked rank.

I wish people would read the FAQ on hidding a cache. I would never put anything edible in a cache... even if it is canned, bagged, sealed in a protected milar titanium box that is us to seal nuclear waste. I think someone could sue you and win if they eat something left in a cache and get food poisining.

Best to leave other things.

OK to explain my last cache. My husband is Hounddog and I am SNIFTER and together we are the 2 Dogs. When we first started caching we thought that doing it seperate was the way to go but after a year of placing and finding we wondered why we were doing it seperately. Every one here knows us and they also know that I am the driver and Hounddog is the navigator and GPSr holder. We have no idea how to transfer all the caches that I have put down as well as logs etc so now we are only placing caches under the 2 Dogs name.

That should clear that up.

Placing food in our caches is one of the joys we have left here in Australia. We don't have to worry about people putting poison into our chocolate bars etc. We use our common sense here and if we come across some food that has gone passed it use by date or has melted we take it out of the cache and in our logs we let the cachers know.We have many candy only caches here and chocolte biscuits are a big thing here, Yes I have send many a packet to "wondering Americans" as to what our Tim Tams are.

Our weather can be hot and in the summer we don't usually leave chocolate, instead Jillas are a good substitute.Our caches are usually found pretty quick so first finders turn into chocaholics real quick. We also try to place our caches in cool spots and certainly not out in the full sun. My easter egg cache was in a lovely cool cave.Yes real easter eggs and the weather was still warm then.

When you have the time take a look at some of the NSW Australia caches and look at the photos. Lots of pics with chocolate.Kinda Eggchange is a good example. Yes it is me eating the chocolate.

I wish you people in the US could be more trusting but that is the way society goes sometimes and when the sorts of things that happen over there happen here then we will be worried.

I hope that that has settled some of the dust for you

One more thing. Most of the NSW caching fraterity know each other and if you think that I need to shake my head it is only to you guys as I feel very sorry that you can't live as free as us.

Sent a very polite note to a local cacher who has been leaving Milk Bones in caches. Since this person has been caching for less than 2 months I was trying to give them a little friendly advice (and the benefit of the doubt). I also advised against scented candles, potpourri, flavored floss, etc.......

Never heard a reply and now I see a couple of more cache logs since then and he's still planting Milk Bones. Plus, he calls them his signature item.

I'm going to watch for the next couple of logs hoping that maybe he missed my e-mail. If it continues, any thoughts as to my next step?

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

[This message was edited by Runaround on September 07, 2002 at 01:52 AM.]

Candie and I hid our "DOG CHOW" cache the first couple of months into geocaching. We put dog bones, and treats, etc. in baggies for the dogs that came with their owners.

We haven't had any problems with wildlife so far, but now that we know more, we wouldn't put food in a cache again. It would be too risky; especially come fall and winter when the wild life are really into finding food.

As far as the mustard fish? Gross! Someone couldn't have left that thinking someone would actually eat it!!! Human food is ridiculous to leave; who is really going to trust that from someone they don't even know! icon_eek.gif

There are plenty of things to leave in a cache other than food!

Ya learn something new everyday; even here!

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

Cachew Nut: Now what am I going to do with all of these cans of SPAM?

Put the whole slab of SPAM on a plate, nuke in microwave for 2 minutes or until thoroughly warmed through out. Get some homemade style tortillas, they're thicker then normal and heat them up in the microwave. Cut the SPAM into slices and then wrap a piece up in a tortilla and enjoy!!

YUM...broke da mouth!!

I learned this from a guy I worked with in GUAM!! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by littlefrog:

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:... he's still planting Milk Bones. Plus, he calls them his signature item.

I love my dogs. I would NEVER feed them anything found in a geocache, anymore than I would feed my child a sandwich left on a park bench by a stranger.

My thoughts exactly! Of course I do treat my dog better than alot of people treat their kids.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:

...Placing food in our caches is one of the joys we have left here in Australia. We don't have to worry about people putting poison into our chocolate bars etc... ...I wish you people in the US could be more trusting but that is the way society goes sometimes and when the sorts of things that happen over there happen here then we will be worried....

You may want to have a look at the 2001 report published by the Australian Institute of Criminology:

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/facts/2001/sec1.html

According you your own government's data, about 1 in 5 Australians reported being a victim of personal crime in 1999; factor into that the number of crimes that go unreported (which many do, no matter where you live), and Australians probably have close to a 25% chance of being a victim of personal crime in some shape or form during the course of a year. 'Personal Crime' (as defined by the report) is made up of robbery, assault, sexual assault, offensive sexual behaviour, consumer fraud and theft from a person. Considering the subject of this forum's thread, it's interesting to note that assault is the second most common type of personal crime in Australia. Another interesting stat is the comparison of Australia's data with that from Canada and the United States ('International Comparisons', Table 1a); there you'll find that, by percentage of reported cases, Australia's rate of incidence falls between that of Canada (which is lower) and the U.S. (which is only marginally higher).

I also took a quick look at a sampling of Australia's daily news as posted at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/default.htm

As of 11:00AM EST on Saturday, 7 September, your headlines included an abduction of two tourists in the Northern Territory, a human looking bone found in Brisbane, a Western Australian man who threatened his ex-wife's lawyer with a rifle before dousing the lawyer with gasoline, and the strike of over 1000 Western Australian prison officers in protest of the conditions in Hakea prison. Of course, I'm sure that you would be able to find North American news items in today's press that are just as disturbing, but the point is that things like this can (and do) happen no matter *where* you live.

How does any of this tie into tampering with food left in a geocache? Well, since (to the best of my knowledge) there has yet to be a confirmed case of anyone tampering with such items with the intent of causing personal harm, this whole discussion is really based on 'just prudence'. I don't mean to sound alarmist or paranoid, but there *are* some pretty sick people in *every* timezone and hemisphere who, once they put 2+2 together, are quite capable of exploiting the misplaced trust of others.

As for your comment about the GeoCachers in your area being known to one another, what's stopping *anyone* from simply scooping cache locations off the internet and visiting them with complete anonymity? If you know the potential exists, does it really take an actual incident of cache tampering before you decide that food items aren't such a good idea after all?

I guess how you (or anyone else) approaches this issue is an entirely personal decision. As for me, there's enough good reasons why food should *not* be in a cache (intentional tampering being only one of them) that, if I find a food item in a cache, I'll remove it and dispose of it.

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on September 07, 2002 at 01:15 PM.]

quote:

Placing food in our caches is one of the joys we have left here in Australia. We don't have to worry about people putting poison into our chocolate bars etc.

Umm, that is a bit naive if you ask me. I can't imagine that you honestly believe that there isn't ONE person in your country that might do something 'bad' to food in a cache. Even if it is just a bunch of teenagers or something, I'd not put it past anyone to have a laugh by wiping a chocolate bar across some unmentionable part of their body - then putting it back in the cache. icon_smile.gif

quote:
We use our common sense here and if we come across some food that has gone passed it use by date or has melted we take it out of the cache and in our logs we let the cachers know.

Well, MY common sense tells me not to eat food left out in the wilderness by people that I might not know. If you have little private food trading caches amongst your friends or something, good for you. icon_smile.gif

quote:
I wish you people in the US could be more trusting but that is the way society goes sometimes and when the sorts of things that happen over there happen here then we will be worried.

I read your comments about your food/candy caches - and I'm glad that all seems to be going well for you. Having said that, I certainly don't think .au is THAT much different than the US - in that you can trust EVERYONE there to have perfectly good intentions when leaving consumables in a cache. I just don't buy it.

quote:
I hope that that has settled some of the dust for you. Most of the NSW caching fraterity know each other and if you think that I need to shake my head it is only to you guys as I feel very sorry that you can't live as free as us.

*laugh* You seem to be a pretty trusting and happy person, and I'm really glad for you... but no matter what country I live in, I'm not gonna be eating food that I FIND somewhere. Sure, you might think you know most of the cachers in your area - but what about those that DON'T log online... the people that might just seek out your caches secretly for their own reasons?

Boy - Australia must be nice, with no naughty people there. Probably no need for a police force, so you guys save a bunch of money I bet. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

If people followed the "rules" we wouldn't have this thread.

But then again I've been happy to take sweets (candy) from caches.

I guess Halloween treats should be cancelled too?

I think seneca's post (albeit from the cigar thread) is germane:

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

What is it that makes anything you find in a cache container safe to consume...?!?

What is it that makes you think anything you find anywhere is safe to consume? Life is a risk. Relatively speaking, somehow I don't think there is a very high risk that a cigar in a cache is going to be laced with cyanide. I think the maniac's preferred modis operandi would be to simply place tainted food on a supermarket shelf (which doesn't stop me from shopping). Wouldn't you agree that there is a much greater liklihood that you are going to be done in by a disgruntled restaurant employee on his last day - with a pepper shaker full of arsenic? (or perhaps you also won't accept the risk of eating at a restuarant?) Go on - live dangerously and take a puff....mmmm.

_You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)_

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:

I think seneca's post (albeit from the cigar thread) is germane

If by 'germane' you mean that the issue of 'risk' is relevant to this forum, I agree. That the comments are any less cavalier when discussing food items than when discussing cigars, I would think not. By the way, if you check the cigar thread, you'll find that the overwhelming majority was AGAINST putting cigars in a cache.

In either case (food or tobacco), placing these items in a cache is clearly against GeoCaching.com guidelines ...or doesn't that matter?

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on September 07, 2002 at 01:52 PM.]

What do you think about matches and lighters?

Everytime I see these in a cache I imagine some kids accidently finding the cache and playing with matches. Other than the obvious danger can you imagine the black eye that this would give Geocaching as a sport if a serious fire resulted?

I've been taking these items in trade simply to get them out of the caches but perhaps there needs to be a list of banned cache prizes on the site.

quote:
Originally posted by PDOP's:

Everytime I see these in a cache I imagine some kids accidently finding the cache and playing with matches. Other than the obvious danger can you imagine the black eye that this would give Geocaching as a sport if a serious fire resulted?

I've been taking these items in trade simply to get them out of the caches but perhaps there needs to be a list of banned cache prizes on the site.

You're absolutely right in removing these items when you come across them (I'd be doing the same thing). There *is* a basic list of articles that should not be placed in a cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/making.asp

...but that hasn't stopped some folks from recently expounding on the merits of placing food and tobacco (both of which are prohibited items according to the guidelines). Perhaps, considering the various postings in some of the forums over the past few days, a more comprehensive list with a stonger worded caveat needs to take the place of the one currently being used (some people are clearly *not* getting the message).

You would think that anyone who could use a GPS would have enough 'between the ears' to see the folly in putting something like matches or a lighter in a cache. I mean really... how much imagination does it take to envisage a young kid stumbling across a cache while playing 'hide and seek'? Whether he/she starts a fire with a lighter, or falls ill after eating tainted food, it wouldn't take many such incidents to turn the public against GeoCaching in a big way.

So why take the risk? Use some common sense and stick with the harmless and benign when selecting cache items. Ask yourself "...What's the worst that could happen if I leave this here?..." before you tuck away that container under a log.

You miss my first point - if everybody played by the rules, we wouldn't have this problem. Rules do matter. I did read the cigar thread and I agree that food/tobacco/alcohol etc. shouldn't be placed (although I've seen all of these in caches).

Now if someone is ignorant of, or ignores the rules, then the question of risk arises. If you find a cache that has been recently placed and there is a can of pineapple rings with a valid use by date (actual example) this could be classed as low risk. (No I didn't eat it - I don't like pineapple icon_wink.gif).

Depending on how risk averse you are, you could throw the thing into the garbage or eat it. Personal choice.

So I think we are actually in agreement - don't put these things in the cache in the first place. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

quote:

I think seneca's post (albeit from the cigar thread) is germane

If by 'germane' you mean that the issue of 'risk' is relevant to this forum, I agree. That the comments are any less cavalier when discussing food items than when discussing cigars, I would think not. By the way, if you check the cigar thread, you'll find that the overwhelming majority was AGAINST putting cigars in a cache.

In either case (food or tobacco), placing these items in a cache is clearly against GeoCaching.com guidelines ...or doesn't that matter?

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on September 07, 2002 at 01:52 PM.]

Rubbertoe,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm trying to loose weight icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

quote:

If people followed the "rules" we wouldn't have this thread. I guess Halloween treats should be cancelled too?

Send me your mailing address and I'll send you some food and we'll see if you eat it. icon_biggrin.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/webcam/index.html, http://community.webshots.com/user/rbatina/, and http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html >==--

quote:
Placing food in our caches is one of the joys we have left here in Australia. We don't have to worry about people putting poison into our chocolate bars etc.

The issue really isn't the possible poisioning of food. I doubt any but the most paranoid would think that.

Here in the USA, we have these things called animals; raccoon, bear, porcupine, squirrel, mice, etc... They have very keen senses of smell and are always on the lookout for a free meal. A chocolate bar, or granola bar, etc... would be a tasty treat for one of these animals. They can (and do) quickly gnaw through a plastic container and trash the cache to get at the food.

Ammo boxes do afford another level of protection, but I wouldn't bet on one defeating a bear that wanted to get inside.

First the Geocaching.com website discourages food in caches and second, with so many other possible items to place in a cache, why anybody even want to put food in a cache? Seems like a waste to me

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kelle

In Australia, there are plenty of ways to kill off unwanted Geocachers without having to resort to Lacing Food. We aussies are a pretty tough mob.... Have you ever tried eatin' an Aussie meat pie, crikey those things'd kill a brown dog.

All you would have to do is hide a cache in a remote place and drop in a Death adder or a nest of Funnelweb spiders. Another way would be to position the cache somewhere on the Adelaide River in the territory, just 100 metres from the highway crossing will do. The crocs here reckon American Tourists are pretty tasty tucker so come on down guys. If the crocs don't get ya the black fellas will.

Seriously though, Snifter is talking about wrapped lollies and sealed packets. Food is not something that we go out of our way to put in a caches down here but if there is a bit of food therein we don't get all freaky and paranoid about it.

To the bloke that quoted all the crime stats....mate if you are trying to suggest that Australia is anywhere near as dangerous to live in as America, with all your guns, ghettos and race riots and a murder every 6 mins you must be bonkers. We have our crime sure but no matter which way you try to twist the facts Australia is still a dadgum sight safer place than most countries of the world, and a lot less crowded to.

I just replaced a Tupperwear container with an ammo can because critters got into the Tupperwear and ate two tubes of sun screen. I think a lot of it has to do with location, some caches around here have food or food items in them and they seem to have no problems, while others get hit for sun screen, scented candles and seed packets.....I think it depends on who lives in "the neighborhood". Anything with a slight scent (including the smell from your hands) is likely to be investigated by animals and in some locations animals will try and open anything just to see if there's something inside they want. To an animal, anything placed in their home, is theirs.

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

QUOTE]

I am preparing a cache for placement on the Appalachian Trail. It is in a location where there won't be any kids playing. The cache theme is Hiking the Trail and will be filled with hiking items, including a few boxes of waterproof matches. Do you think this is unsafe?

Wouldn't it be safer to leave out the matches and add some sort of flint stick or perhaps firestarters? I'd still go with the flint sticks as they would take a little work to get an actual light from but are less dangerous then matches in case of an accident. It's always wiser to be safer then regret something later.

quote:
Originally posted by WildwoodBob:

QUOTE]

I am preparing a cache for placement on the Appalachian Trail. It is in a location where there won't be any kids playing. The cache theme is Hiking the Trail and will be filled with hiking items, including a few boxes of waterproof matches. Do you think this is unsafe?

icon_rolleyes.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

quote:
Originally posted by xWaterLilyx:

Wouldn't it be safer to leave out the matches and add some sort of flint stick or perhaps firestarters? I'd still go with the flint sticks as they would take a little work to get an actual light from but are less dangerous then matches in case of an accident. It's always wiser to be safer then regret something later.

If safety is an issue, consider safety matches.

If you're placing your cache next to a school yard or playground, it may be a good idea to leave matches, lighters and knives out. Other than that, I don't see a problem with it.

Most caches are in spots that unsupervised children shouldn't be in the first place.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Maybe just inject a few cc's of common sense before deciding what to put in a cache? Unfortunately the folks who don't, don't read the thread (or the FAQ). So stronger language won't dissuade them.

There's a point where you just trudge on and do what's right. I now just replace the items that shouldn't be there with items in my backpack and sign the logbook.

But I'll never feed my dogs a snack from a cache. No sirree.

Stick a coupon in there if you want to give someone a treat. I just hope the bears don't catch on and end up at the local Dairy Queen with a coupon in paw.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by The 2 Dogs:

"...To the bloke that quoted all the crime stats....mate if you are trying to suggest that Australia is anywhere near as dangerous to live in as America, with all your guns, ghettos and race riots and a murder every 6 mins you must be bonkers. We have our crime sure but no matter which way you try to twist the facts Australia is still a dadgum sight safer place than most countries of the world, and a lot less crowded to..."

You're right. Why let facts get in the way of your opinion... icon_rolleyes.gif

"Don't die with your music still inside you..."

Guns, Ghettos, and Race Riots.

*laugh*

It is amazing that any of us Americans leave our homes, let alone wander out into the unknown countryside - hunting geocaches.

I can't hunt caches around Ohio anymore anyway... they're always filled with soiled underwear, rolling papers, butane torches, crack rocks, and used syringes. That's okay, though... I still remember the good old days. Oh, to only live in Australia. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oops... gotta go, I'm running late for the 7 o'clock race riot downtown! icon_wink.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

I read the FAQ page before going out, so I read the rule about food. But it never occured to me that animals will go for non-food scented items. Unfortunately, I put scented candles in caches and now I am worried that the caches will get eaten! I will stop this practice post haste!

---------------------------------------------------------------

"You're no verra sensible, Sassenach, but I like ye fine. Let's go."

I pulled a couple mint candies out of a cache today that had dog chew on it and was out in the open. I don't know if a dog found the cache and had its way with it because of the mint candies or not but knew that having them there was a bad idea all around. Who would want to eat those anyway? icon_confused.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.