Attributes of a Geocacher

Guest gmaxis

Guest Choberiba

Web-ling: Not Obsessive-compulsive. Hands get too dirty caching.

Take my word on this, people can be obsessive-compulsive over many-many things.

Germ phobias are but a single manifestation of this disorder.

People can be obsessive about cache hunting, which by my definition reads as allowing the hobby to interfere with and reduce your quality of life.

Dr. Choberiba Phd. (posts-hides-diligently)

Reduce the quality of your life? But Geocaching is a *good* thing! How could it possibly... concievably... remotely... reduce the quality of your life?

The more the better, that's what I say.

Jamie

(As a matter of fact, I have a fairly Roman attitude toward life.)

Maybe what makes a cacher so persistent in his hunt has to do with the concept of finding the "treasure" or the gamemanship of proving to the hider that you can solve his puzzle.

Or maybe it has something to do with the Hunter/gatherer that is in all of our pasts.

[This message has been edited by navdog (edited 18 December 2001).]

Guest WJJagfan

From the photos I've gotten of my first cache, the comments in the logs I've read and the posts/topics on this site I'd say the common denomonators of a geohunter are:

• moderately to very social
  • owns a gps
  • has access to the internet
  • generally high level of integrity
  • enjoys a challenge
  • moderately to very curious

I think it is interesting that there is such a variety of skills, interests, temperments,and lifestyles, yet the caliber of people participating is still very high.

[This message has been edited by WJJagfan (edited 20 December 2001).]

Guest boreal jeff

The attributes of a Geocacher:

-:loves the outdoors

-:likes a little exercise

-:doesn't mind a little discomfort (ie. cold,wet)

-:feels comfortable with gadgets

-:Adventurous

-:intelligent

-:social

-:generous

-:TRUSTING (who else would leave "stuff" out there and then tell everyone where it was)

Guest Choberiba

stutters....

It's not just geeks and gadget whores who are digging this new hobby. Pilots, Boat people (no, the other kind) and the traditional outdoorsy types all seem to find it appealing.

Guest BLEdwardsJ

Ok as my wife points out to me. Im heading out into the sticks with the following.

GPS

PALM

FRS Radios

Cell PhoneAlimiter / Barometer Watch

kid pack with kid and hydration bladder

waterproof and breathable (purchased for those qualities) jacket

High end boots

power bars

I must grudgingly admit that this does very closely resemble my impression of a TECHNO-GEEK

Guest brokenwing

Sorry for the long post, but I need to try to clarify something. If the intention of the original poster was to find out qualities that all geocachers possess, I'd have to say that most of the responses here are incorrect. The only characteristic I know of that all geocachers possess is that all have some type of access to Internet sites that post caches. I think they also all might have a sense of adventure. I suppose even that is debatable, but without it, why would they bother? Even Geoffrey's straightforward list (I think you were on the right track, by the way) is incorrect because legs are not required, (there are plenty of handicapped accessible caches) and a locating device is not needed. (Ask web-ling.) There are just too many people, with too many different personalities, abilities, and reasons for playing to try to pigeonhole us all into categories.

That said, I?m going to do it anyway! Why, well if the intention was to find out what qualities most geocachers possess, I'd then have to agree with the majority of what has been listed before. I imagine most geocachers:

• Own a GPS
  • Are curious
  • Are honest
  • Are stubborn
  • Have a need to explore
  • May have a primal hunter/gatherer instinct
  • Enjoy a challenge
  • Enjoy the outdoors

The interesting thing to me is that most of the items on this list are characteristics that could apply to a large segment of our population. This begs the question, what makes us different? Well, I don't know, but I'd guess it has something to do with that sense of adventure thing. Without that spark, you just wouldn't find this game interesting. I also think there is one other thing that sets most geocachers apart from other people; it's the ability to not take life too seriously. This ability to ?play?, even though the average age of registered geocachers on the site is 38, is amazing to me. (I sometimes wonder if this is why I get blank looks when I try to explain geocaching to some people. They think it?s kids stuff and have forgotten how to play.)

By the way, as a certifiable geek myself, I would say most geocachers do not fall into the geek category. From reading the "what do you do for a living" forum topic, I'd guess about half are techno-geeks, the rest are "normal people". That's still is a large percentage of geeks involved compared to the ?international geeks/normal people ratio?, but not too surprising considering that two "high-tech" items are involved. (The Internet and GPS.) I think that speaks to how pervasive technology has become in our world.

Thanks,

brokenwing

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

From reading the "what do you do for a living" forum topic, I'd guess about half are techno-geeks, the rest are "normal people".

Not all us geeks have geek jobs, so you might be off a bit. I myself, am a landscaper of all things. Would have never guessed it when I was learning latin at 14. Not when I started college at 16. I bought my 1st modem 20yrs ago. I am a ham radio operator. Ive built my own laser. I've owned a gps since 1995. Ive used a computer almost every day for the last 21 yrs.

My name is Mopar and I am a technogeek.

That being said, being a geek obviously doesnt exclude a love of the outdoors. I've always loved camping and hiking, gardening, boating, anything to get me out of the house. After years of jobs with only getting to see the outdoors thu a window (if I was lucky) I finally found one that allows me to be outdoors all the time. And as for gadgets, you would not believe all the gadgets us hi-tech landscapers get to play with! icon_biggrin.gif

I think I you checked, alot of the other people with "normal" jobs are still geeks at heart. Remember the ending of "Revenge Of The Nerds"? There are more of us then there is of them. icon_smile.gif

quote:

From reading the "what do you do for a living" forum topic, I'd guess about half are techno-geeks, the rest are "normal people".

Not all us geeks have geek jobs, so you might be off a bit. I myself, am a landscaper of all things. Would have never guessed it when I was learning latin at 14. Not when I started college at 16. I bought my 1st modem 20yrs ago. I am a ham radio operator. Ive built my own laser. I've owned a gps since 1995. Ive used a computer almost every day for the last 21 yrs.

My name is Mopar and I am a technogeek.

That being said, being a geek obviously doesnt exclude a love of the outdoors. I've always loved camping and hiking, gardening, boating, anything to get me out of the house. After years of jobs with only getting to see the outdoors thu a window (if I was lucky) I finally found one that allows me to be outdoors all the time. And as for gadgets, you would not believe all the gadgets us hi-tech landscapers get to play with! icon_biggrin.gif

I think I you checked, alot of the other people with "normal" jobs are still geeks at heart. Remember the ending of "Revenge Of The Nerds"? There are more of us then there is of them. icon_smile.gif

Guest brokenwing

t half are techno-geeks, the rest are normal people", that was just a WAG, I didn't actually count the number of geek jobs vs. non-geek jobs.

There is the flip side of the coin as well. Certain tech jobs are more geeky than others. You can be pretty sure that just about every Linux Admin you meet is a certified geek. You might not be able to say the same for Helpdesk Analysts, or Web Designers, though.

Anyway, I'm not sure I have a point, other than that there are lots of "normal people" that play this game just because it's fun. They have no interest in the technology involved, and the GPS is just a tool. (No different than a VCR.) It's purpose is to help them have fun, nothing more. For them, there is nothing geeky about it. Lets not loose sight of that fact. You don't have to be a geek to enjoy geocaching.

Just MHO.

Thanks,

brokenwing

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:

You seem to be the exception, not the rule. (Besides, in my book no one that works outside with their hands as you do would qualify for true geek status. Doing that kind of work overcomes a whole lot of "closet geek" stuff.) icon_smile.gif

Oh I know. If nobody has noticed, I had no work to do today, and plenty of time to post. icon_smile.gif Does the fact that I hex edited the latest firmware upgrade for my GPS before installing it last night move me a little closer to the geek side of the curve? icon_smile.gif Trust me, I relish the ability to "live in both worlds" you might say. No offense taken, trust me.

PS, I have a friend. (No, really, I DO!) Lots of tats, ex-marine. Loud, outspoken, great guy to go to a bar with. All around Mr Macho. Linux Admin. for Fortune 500 company.

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 22 December 2001).]

quote:

You seem to be the exception, not the rule. (Besides, in my book no one that works outside with their hands as you do would qualify for true geek status. Doing that kind of work overcomes a whole lot of "closet geek" stuff.) icon_smile.gif

Oh I know. If nobody has noticed, I had no work to do today, and plenty of time to post. icon_smile.gif Does the fact that I hex edited the latest firmware upgrade for my GPS before installing it last night move me a little closer to the geek side of the curve? icon_smile.gif Trust me, I relish the ability to "live in both worlds" you might say. No offense taken, trust me.

PS, I have a friend. (No, really, I DO!) Lots of tats, ex-marine. Loud, outspoken, great guy to go to a bar with. All around Mr Macho. Linux Admin. for Fortune 500 company.

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 22 December 2001).]

Think about it....a random person goes out and hides something...somewhere...on earth....right now you are very..very..cold. With nothing but the latitude on longitude...we can not only find it...but find it with so much ease that we turned the whole darn thing into a game to amuse ourselves!

Geek or non-geek? Definitely put me in the latter category! I bought my GPS for the sole purpose of geocaching and got the simplest model available. Reading the manual was a chore (I could do and understand it, just didn't like it). Computers frustrate me to no end and I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I flunked computer programming in high school. I can turn the stupid thing on (computer and GPS) and make it do what I want it to. Just don't ask me to understand it or even worse, fix it...

I guess I'm one of those outdoor loving people that has found a new hobby that just happens to involve a high-tech gadget.

Hoosiermom - team leader of GeoStars

Guest nlazarus

I would hardly call this a sport that requires a "geeky" personality just because it involves a high tech device. I don't find prgramming a GPS any more difficult than programing a VCR. I also hate the geek label as it implies that the only thing I can do is sit indoor and operate computer. I think the other posts tend to capture what makes up the personlaity of a geocacher. Such as a sense of adventure.