How long should you wait before placing another cache near a new one?

orange

It would depend on whether there is another spot in the vicinity that "deserves" another cache. The issue isn't the timing of the new cache, the issue is whether or not there is an appropriate location in the first place. If there is a good location, it doesn't really matter when it's placed. If there isn't a worthwhile location, then don't place it ever. I have no problem with nearby caches, as long as the caches are unique and do not detract from each other. On the other hand, if someone were to place a second cache in a small park where I already had a multicache, and hadn't even bothered to hunt my pre-existing cache, I'd be kinda hacked off. Again, the issue isn't when should it be placed, the issue is should it be placed at all. The timing is irrelevent

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

In northern NJ (Orange's and my home territory), we have a somewhat unique situation. In a sea of devloped areas, there are little islands of park land and forests. As one who places caches here, I spend time looking at maps and sat photos to find new places to place caches.

In some instances, I've been the first to "discover" the area. Once I place a cache, others realize that it is a good area to hide a cache and I welcome this. I don't look at the area as "my" place. When I see other caches placed near mine, it validates my choice. I place many of my caches specifically to bring people to a spot that I felt was special, or interesting in some way.

Additional caches in the area only serve to increase the traffic at my caches and bring people to the area and I see it as a positive.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 15, 2003 at 06:07 PM.]

I just did it to myself. While placing a night cache, I found a great opportunity to place a handicapped accessible--I thought it was within 0.1 but it was actually over.

Since they are totally different and would appeal to different cachers, I figured it was good.

I didn't respond to the poll, because to me it's not a factor of time but the nature/quality of the two. One obvious bummer of placing another immediately after a new one is it becomes "buy one get one free" on the initial influx..

If that's OK with you, so be it!

Enjoy,

Randy

There are many cachers that may disagree but I feel the more the merrier. I have had some users put a second cache in the same area as some of my caches. I enjoy that. Not only gives me a excuse to go caching but then I also get to check out my cache and see how it's doing.

Then there are the numbers types that want to maximize the time spent caching. So placing two in an area is going to attract even more cachers to remote areas.

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful

I waited until a cache went missing for 2 months before putting the cache in the same park.

Here is the cache that went unfound for awhile:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2183

Here is my cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=63218

(subscriber-only cache)

I would like to adopt the Rotary Tree cache if it continues to be unfound. The Rotary Tree cache was my very first ever cache on July 1st 2001.(Also notice the big difference in the cache ID numbers 63218 versus 2183)