Have I just got a bad Vista?

Guest gstrong1

Guest gstrong1

Is anybody else out there as disappointed with there eTrex as I am or do I just have a bad one.I've found 13 caches so far & the last 7 of them,I took along my Garmin III Plus & my eTrex Vista.On caches in wooded areas,I have had nothing but aggravation.Went on a hunt today, and the III Plus took me there start to finish with no problem whatsoever.When sitting at the cache, III Plus had me at 1 ft. & Vista couldn't pick up a satellite.Moved to a clearing 25 ft. from cache & Vista had me at 90 ft.I had someone log one of the caches I placed,and in his log on my cache page,he encrypted new co-ordinates for the location because he said his GPS had him off by 390 ft. at the cache.So my numbers must be wrong!

I went back to check & III Plus was within 3 ft. What was he using?Next person to log that cache had no problem.24 mb. of memory is great but doesn't do me much good if a cache has to be in the middle of a baseball diamond for the Vista to take me to it.People have said I just need to walk real slow & be patient & bring the compass.I can jog through the woods with the Plus & it never loses a beat.Give me some feedback folks & let me know if this is indicative of the eTrex or mine is just a lemon.Maybe the III Plus just spoiled me.And yes,I always bring the compass along.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Tobias

I don't think the "Vista" etrex is WORSE than an ordinary eTrex (i got the old fashioned) and mine works fine, so well, chances are big something is wrong with your Vista. It may be a discalibrated Quartz crystal or something.

//Tobias

Guest Quinnow

Gimpy...lets put that to a test this weekend or evening. we can meet up and use both our vista's and both our IIIPlus and test them to see what they come up with. as for that person telling you your coordinates are wrong I would either ask him to delete that log and re-enter it, or just keep it encrypted, it gives people doubts if they see it. I know those coordinates you have listed for that cache are correct, it was an error at his end, not yours. call me and we will meet up!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest moulton

I bet the guy who said your coordinates were off did not have his GPS Datum set to WGS84. A mistake like this WILL cause this type of "error".

------------------