general climate

flask

Your options were rather negative in nature.

I vote for better then ever.

The forums are better, the cache search is better, the people are better/wiser.

Thats my vote.

Thank you for your time. icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

Interesting question.... but for an example, I was in Kentucky recently, for the first time in over 20 years, and in an area where NOBODY knew me at all. I was looking for two lake lots left to me by my dad and was having a great deal of difficulty finding them. I ran across a fella out in the boonies that went far out of his way to try and help me find my way, and even took me to an area where he thought I'd find what I was looking for. He was on his way somewhere when we met at a stop sign and he turned to go the way I had come from. I flagged him down and asked my question and he was as helpful as anyone I've ever met.

Unfortunately, he did not know what the heck I was talking about and his directions to go to another fella who might know left me clueless (you had to be there...lol), so I went back up to the nearby highway and stopped at a restaurant. I asked one of the young women working there if anyone knew of the subdivision or street I was looking for and no one knew. Rather than just let it drop there she went out and asked one of her relatives who had just pulled up outside. He came in and made a phone call and got the directions to where I needed to go. Turned out he was a retired Detective from New Orleans who had retired and moved to the area and he was calling the nearby Sheriff's dispatch to get the directions.

These folks had absolutely no reason to help out to the extent they did. They did not know me, didn't know what I was up to, and certainly did not know I was a police officer. I was just out on a road trip and looked it.

The moral of the story is: There are good people in the world, and there are bad people in the world. Whether you run into one or the other is just a matter of chance and how you move about in your life. There are no guarantees and that is what we have insurance for...LOL. There are more people in our country than there used to be so of course there are going to be more run-ins between folks. My way of looking at it is, I'm as nice to others as they allow me to be. But if they won't let me..... so be it.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I go by the 80/20 rule of thumb and that ratio hasn’t changed much in my experience. 80% of those I meet anywhere in the world are very decent people, and the other 20% are jerks. It is human nature to maintain a more vivid recollection of the jerks (particularly the really obnoxious ones) and therefore we tend to believe that there are a lot more lousy people in the world than there really are.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

I agree with Seneca, but think the ratio is closer to 90/10. Breaking it down a bit more, a small percentage of that 10 percent are those who are just plain evil.

But even most of the 90 percent can be jerks some of the time, which makes the number seem to be a lot higher. I know some otherwise wonderful people who turn into jerks the second they get behind the wheel of a car, the anonymity of a computer keyboard, or on the sideline of their kid's soccer game.

And with more people (both in the world and the geocaching community), it simply means there will be more jerks around. Ya figure with some 6.2 billion people in world, if 10 percent are jerks, that means there are an awful lot of jerks out there!!!

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on June 17, 2003 at 04:11 AM.]

i kind of had my tongue planted in my cheek while i was making the survey.

i'm a true believer that most people behave decently when given the chance. i also believe that it's easy to start complaining when the honeymoon is over.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

People change, times change. Every generation thinks they have a better answer but the problems have been around since before recorded history.

The only nice thing about the new lack of respect me, me, me, generation is that when they discover sex it might shut them up for a few minutes. By the time they figure out that they didn't discover it first they might be tolerable. But then that's probably the way it's been for a long time. Things run in cycles. Unfortunatly the cycle ends when the nation is pretty much destroyed.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Why didn't you just punch the coordinates into your GPS?

NOW you ask me that......LOL.

(answer, I didn't think to get them off the map program prior to starting out....sigh).

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Generally I think people are the same. I just think that technology has brought us to the point where we know what everyone is doing, right or wrong.

There are those people that take pleasure in seeing other people on the 'wrong' side. I think those people have always been there too, there is just more out there for them to revel in.

It would be like starting a poll, and asking a question like:

'What is the sound of half an anus farting?'

a) Twice the sound of one hand clapping

:D Half the sound of a tree falling with no one present to hear it

c) 115.947 kms at 119.52421 degrees true from 375545 / 5472183

d) 3.14 times the volume of a one watt wallowing pit

e) the sound of jeremy hitting the return key and closing another useless thread

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

And yet another intelligent (?) response... it must be the meds.

cough/WINDBAG/cough

Meds, yah, that's what you're gonna say when the beast come to rule the earth, and since I won't worship him, my head must come off... yeah, meds... that's it... easy come, easy go

A wise man sat on a hill near a small town. Along came a stranger to the area and asked, "Sir, what sort of people will I find in that town ahead?"

The wise man asked, "What sort of people in the town you just came from?" to which the wanderer replied, "Good and true."

"You'll find the people here the same."

The wander continued his journey into the town. Another wanderer followed close behind him, stopped and queeried the wise man on the hill, "Sir, what sort of people are there in the town ahead?"

Again, the wise man requested of this second wanderer, "Pilgrim, what sort of people in the town you just came from?" Quick came the reply, "Fools and cheats!"

"You'll find the people here the same..." calmly replied the wise man.

--majicman

(MY new book is NOW AVAILABLE! Check it out: http://www.mcwj.com )

Oh darn you, Hydee - just when Canadazuuk was winning! ..... he had more points on the “insults received” scale ;. (Just kidding - your suggestion was appropriate).

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG