Travel Bugs (tags) as Sharp Objects

MarcB

I'm visiting the USA soon and I'm interested to know if anyone has ever had any trouble with carrying travel bugs in their hand luggage? Would the travel bug tags show up as a "Sharp Object" and be confiscated?

Thanks,

MarcB

Took Log Book, Left Nothing

I haven't taken a bug on a plane yet, but, when I took my disc player on a plane, they made me remove my batteries from the player(which weren't even dead yet) and put the new ones in that i had in my bag, they wouldn't let me carry the new unopened batteries on the plane.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

quote:
Originally posted by Ce'Nedra:

I haven't taken a bug on a plane yet, but, when I took my disc player on a plane, they made me remove my batteries from the player(which weren't even dead yet) and put the new ones in that i had in my bag, they wouldn't let me carry the new unopened batteries on the plane.

I have noticed recently that Disc Players can be a hazzard on airplanes at altitude. When people try to remove a disc from a disc player it can make a loud explosion. Some guy was changing the disc, when it made a loud bang, and pieces flew all over the plane near the front. BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL, CHANGING DISCS at altitude, especially if there is a sky marshal aboard.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

When I went on South West Airlines July 19-26, I had no problems. I had 3 GPS units, camcorder, Laptop, and a bunch of cables, and a big bunch of NiMH rechargables in my carry on. NO problems at all, except for on my return flight, when I noticed an Inspection sticker on my check-in Luggage. For my check-in luggage, I left it unlocked, except for lots of tape to hold down the latches on the thing.

I have flown recently with several travel bugs in my carry on luggage, as well as a laptop, GPS, cables, etc. and had absolutely no problem at all with them.

Where are you flying to? Knowing which airports you will be travelling through may (especially the ones where you need to go through the security checkpoint) enable someone to tell you what the security is like at that airport.

-Stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

quote:
have noticed recently that Disc Players can be a hazzard on airplanes at altitude. When people try to remove a disc from a disc player it can make a loud explosion. Some guy was changing the disc, when it made a loud bang, and pieces flew all over the plane near the front. BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL, CHANGING DISCS at altitude, especially if there is a sky marshal aboard.

Joke maybe? or is there something im missing???

Oh gawd...we're kind of going on a once in a lifetime tour of America... some of these are just flight changes though...

Washington

Las Vegas

San Fransisco

Honolulu

Maui

Los Angeles

Chances of meeting a grumpy check in guy: High icon_frown.gif

MarcB

I had a few TBs, and more than a dozen batteries in various carrying cases that went through in my carry-on luggage with little problem. However, each flight I was on last month they pulled the roll-around and put on this other scanner and I have no clue what it does...perhaps it sniffs for something that might go boom, like rogue personal CD players or something.

Brian

Team A.I.

You should have no problem whatsoever. I fly internationally and within the U.S. at least a couple times each month. I always have at least one and often several travel bugs in my carry-on luggage, and they have never been a source of concern. They are not sharp-edged or pointed, so they are legal carry-on items.

Oh, and I've never seen a cd player go "bang" either, even though I've used them, opened them, and seen other passengers do the same.

worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Put them around your neck and introduce yourself as Trav L. Bugh.

===============_"If it feels good...do it"_================

**_(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")_**

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Attach them to a bracelet and call it a charm bracelet.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by Thack Pack:

Just don't attach your Travel Bug to a note like this.

I fail to understand how "[Expletive] you. Stay the [expletive] out of my bag you [expletive] sucker. Have you found a [expletive] bomb yet? No, just clothes. Am I right? Yea, so [expletive] you." equates to being a bomb threat. Charging him is assinine, if not malicious.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I didn't have a problem with the Giddy Up TB coming back to NJ from CO. And that TB was all Metal! I went from Phila to Colorodo and Co to AZ then back to Phila.. You should be fine in the AIR! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MarcB:

I'm visiting the USA soon and I'm interested to know if anyone has ever had any trouble with carrying travel bugs in their hand luggage? Would the travel bug tags show up as a "Sharp Object" and be confiscated?

Thanks,

MarcB