Cache Machines

travisl

Just because there's still some folks who are on the fence about whether they should participate in Cache Machine events, here's a synopsis of comments from the three Cache Machines so far: Victoria (7/12/03):

Great fun this weekend

A great pleasure

It was a great couple of days, and fantastic to meet everybody

Very enjoyable meeting all of you and hearing the challenges of the morning

Had a great time meeting all the new people

We had fun

I have never had so much fun

I made a lot of new caching friends who I hope to see many many more times.

This was a terrific event

Good to meet so many people

Spending 18 hours finding 70-some caches without needing to turn on your GPSr because you're with a whole bunch of savvy VCM geocachers: Priceless. Was this fun or what?

We had a fantastic time

We were one well oiled machine

Wow what a weekend

Once again, simply amazing. I thought that I'd never experience another event as fun as the Yakima Cache Machine, but this one proved me wrong.

Great Event

This was a lot more fun, tiring, wet, hot, longer, better, more satisfying than I could have imagined

Can't wait for the Portland event

It was sure great to meet fellow geocachers from Canada and the Pacific Northwest

Even with all seven of my blisters and all the sore muscles, I am glad to say that this is still a great deal of fun

What a day! What wonderful people! What rain and mud!

WOW! This was an awesome event!

I had a great time and hope to be there for the next machine.

Absolutely amazing

There are no words for how much fun I had

Totally terrific time

Yakima (3/29/03):

Looking forward to following the pack around on the next one.

What a great time! I got to visit several great caches [and] meet lots of new faces... This provided me with the opportunity to visit many caches that I probably never would have visited individually

It was so much fun to meet you and all the other cachers

Fantabulous event! … I had so much fun.

I had a blast hangin' out with all of you folks doing the Yakima Cache Machine!

I learned that no matter how sick I get of finding tupperware and film canisters, there are always other people out there that are just as addicted as I am. People that share my passion for the unknown, people that revel in the undiscovered--fellow explorers that truly enjoy searching out the uncharted territories of the romantic faraway.

If you haven't gone to one of these cache machines yet, by all means go to the next one.

I had a blast

We all had a lot of fun

It was wonderful having people come from all over to join in the fun. We sure enjoyed meeting everyone and being able to put faces with nicknames

One of the best events that I have been on so far

Meeting all of the Pacific Northwest geocachers was great!!

What fun the day was...I'm sure as a family we will talk about this day for years to come

This was truly a great weekend! ... It was fun meeting new cachers and getting to know the others better

Simply amazing. This was one of the most incredible events that I could imagine. I had worried about how fun a mass all-day cache hunt could be, but the great scenery, incredible hospitality, and ability to socialize for an extended period put all of those worries to rest.

What fun... this was a day to remember!!!

That was so much fun.

A great time was had by all

OH MY GOSH!!!!! What a blast.

We had an awesome time

It was FANTASTIC!

Enjoyed every minute

I had a great time at my first group geocaching event

Had a great time

I think its safe to so that we all had a great time

Me and my two boys sure had a blast!

Thanks for a great adventure - wouldn't have missed it for anything

And Bremerton (12/28/02):

This was one heck of an activity!

A memorable day

What a day!

Wow, wow, wow

This was absolutely the most fun I've had in a single 10 hour period.

Had a Great Time! (A little insane, but a great time!)

I had a hell of a good time running around with everybody. What a great group.

I get the impression that most participants enjoy them icon_wink.gif

WWJD? JW RTFM.

[This message was edited by travisl on July 15, 2003 at 04:20 PM.]

The concept is being floated in the NC Triangle yahoo group right now. One of our locals has a joint cache with a BC cacher who was part of the Victoria Machine. He couldn't figure out how her find count jumped so high this past weekend until he read about it. Two thoughts dominate the discussion. 1) Descend onto a nearby cache rich area. 2) Create a route locally, and each participant must place one new cache along that route.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Although I haven't been involved in any cache machines, I would be honored if one of my caches was found at an event, and I am really proud of the Northwest Caching scene. Not only is it the birthplace of geocaching, it is on the cutting edge of how caching can be fun! icon_smile.gif

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

Whoops. Darn! I guess I misunderstood the subject. My definition of 'Cache Machine' is someone who hikes all day to hide/hunt a single cache. I usually refer to someone interested sheer quantity as a Cache (rhymes with glut). icon_wink.gif

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

My definition of 'Cache Machine' is someone who hikes all day to hide/hunt a single cache. I usually refer to someone interested in sheer quantity as a Cache (rhymes with glut). icon_wink.gif

You mean Cache Slut? icon_eek.gif It is quite obvious a Cache Machine event is all about the numbers, but more importantly it seems to be quite the social event, and staged in moderation, is probably a great extension of what geocaching has to offer.

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

quote:

A great pleasure

We were one well oiled machine

This was a lot more fun, tiring, wet, hot, longer, better, more satisfying than I could have imagined

Even with all seven of my blisters and all the sore muscles, I am glad to say that this is still a great deal of fun

I learned that no matter how sick I get of finding tupperware and film canisters, there are always other people out there that are just as addicted as I am. People that share my passion for the unknown, people that revel in the undiscovered--fellow explorers that truly enjoy searching out the uncharted territories of the romantic faraway.

Enjoyed every minute

Me and my two boys sure had a blast!

This was one heck of an activity!

Wow, wow, wow

Ermm... Exactly what kind of activity is this again?

Seriously though, sounds like a lot of fun. Wonder if anything like this happens in my neck of the woods...

In nearly two years of geocaching, I'd never heard of a cache machine event. After reading the event page, I think I'm more in league with Skydiver. I'd rather hike all day to get to single cache, than participate in something like this.

But everybody has their preferences. If you enjoy "cache machine" hunts, who am I to say you shouldn't?

I do agree with one aspect. Group hunts can be a blast. I've participated in several and everyone had a great time.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'd rather hike all day to get to single cache, than participate in something like this.

I totally agree with you, but I'm the one who started the ball rolling for this possible Raleigh-Durham cache machine. I'm definitely quality over quantity. Since I have a child, I look for fun (or, at least, not-too-difficult) caches to do with her. Then, since my time on my own is limited, I tend to look for challenging caches to do when I'm working solo.

That said, a cache machine sounds like fun. I'd like to give it a try, at any rate. Probably a do-once-to-see-what-it's-like sort of thing. It's nice to try different things for our group get-togethers, though I personally think all our summer gatherings (here in the steamy Southeast) should be indoors and involve large quantities of beer.

Sounds like a fun caching event. I've seen them going on around the area. VCM

Fun, as long as you don't believe that each individual must actually find the cache container to log it. So in a big group of people only the finder can log it. I've seen these purist arguments in other threads.

Still sounds like fun.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!